Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How far have you & yours come since 9/11?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How far have you & yours come since 9/11?

It's been 15 years.

And watching the video still brings back the horror for me. The absolute call to action. A lot changed for me that day. And during that long day and into the night there was a rubicon crossed. By noon the next day, we were that much readier to pack up and head for high ground, rallying point for the kiddos... and figure things out from there.

I wound up playing a combination of "operator", Dear Abby, and some kind of Red Dawn leader that day. My kids kept calling... working their way through OMG, what do we do to... Mom, I'm getting a crew together to head to NYC to help anyway I can... to dealing with completely selfish, self-centered faculty & students... trying to do my part to keep the network bandwidth from crapping out... all while not being able to reach my hubs via pager, text or phone. He was in the state office building under total lockdown and didn't even know what happened until later that afternoon. I didn't talk to him until 6 pm that day.

I think back over those 15 years, about how many changes we made to our lives... and how the overall awareness and mindset changed. Skills learned and practiced. Decisions made. Life lived... and lives lost. And it's been a long strange trip we've been on.

How about you? How did this change you and how have you adapted?

I can't say that my awareness or mindset changed except maybe to reinforce what I already believed. Skill levels and strategies changed dramatically though.
    911 was a rude awaking for many. It could have been and nearly was far worse. It was just a matter of time before something like it happened, as it is just a matter of time before something on that scale or worse happens again.

The idea that somehow the ISIS mentality can be defeated is mistaken. There will always be those that cannot be negotiated with. Anyone who believes negotiations are possible with a rabid dog is sadly mistaken. These creatures are willing to strap bombs on themselves, women, and children, boil a person in oil, dismember them, draw and quarter, burn them alive, sanction rape and slavery, gas their own, and a few hundred other cruelties. In short, they lack required elements to negotiate, it's their way or death for them, preferably your death. Not a viable basis for any negotiations.

Every last member of ISIS can be killed, but the mentality would survive. It's been with us under a thousand different names and even more 'causes' throughout the history of humans. It has surfaced in every race over that history, and will continue to do so as long as humans walk this earth.

The only thing that mentality respects/fears is strength. It took the obliteration of two cities with nuclear bombs to stop it the last time it took on a religious form, and the destruction of half of Europe the last time it took on an ideological form.

I believe many miss that entirely. You either have a line in the sand for which you don't back up, or you run. Fight or flight. In my opinion, the only thing flight gets you is dieing tired.

For all the misery humans are capable of inflicting upon other humans, there is an equal and opposite ability to nuture and create. The latter requires protecting the young, as they have not lived long enough to figure that out. Leave them in a destructive environment long enough, even a child will lose hope and devolve into evil and destruction carrying it to their future for however short or long that may be.

Therefore my personal line in the sand rest with the children. It is only through them that any hope of keeping the cycle of evil at bay exist. Those creatures that flew into those buildings were not alone. The evil they represent did not die with them. It is from that evil that those who have lived must protect from and nuture.

That evil I had witnessed and become aware of long before those buildings fell. What I have done about it only amounts to a swipe with a broom against the tide, but I'll damn well not have it be said that I didn't stand my line.
    When the present determines the future, but the approximate present does not approximately determine the future: Edward Lorenz

Comment

It's amazing how things like this leave a solid imprint on your mind. I can remember where I was, what I was doing, and the whole day watching the events unfold. Honestly, I remember 9/11 and Hurricane Andrew way better than the Pulse Nightclub or Sandy Hook shootings despite the fact these were more recent.

I can't say it changed my mindset but I am more keenly aware of "conspiracy theories" and what not since 9/11. It hasn't been until about 3-4 months ago that my mindset about SHTF stuff has come along and we've started prepping. It's a slow process for us but one that gives you some confidence you will last a little longer than those that don't prep. I'd rather be prepared and not need, then need and not have.

Comment

Born from the dust

Well, 15 years is 15 years. Who can differentiate which changes were made because of 9/11, and which were made simply because we develop, learn, and roll on. For us, we've come a long way. When it happened, I was a young adult, a college student, with 2 kids. My family has made many mindset changes, as well as behavioral changes, which ideally, should go hand-in-hand anyway. As a nation we implemented more security, especially in airports and at large events, or anywhere crowds gathered. Though to me, what was implemented seems a minimalist knee-jerk reaction to being assaulted, like we'll do just enough in order for people to be able to hang on to the idea that we are safe because handbags are being casually glanced over, or because there is a security team present. It's something, I guess. Lest we forget the idea that a crafty enemy will attack from the side that is not guarded. Consider 9/11! Whenever I think of the box cutters (the backbone weapon of the whole plan), planes crashing into towers, while security guards checked bags and people filed through metal detectors below. It chills me to the bone. And, I remember. I remember that no matter how secure I feel, how prepped I am, how trained I am, how many guns I own, I am not excused from potential threat. It is always there.
        That's not to say I live a life of fear. On the contrary, these past years have been refreshed with renewal, learning, experimenting, things that expand the mind, mistakes that hone wisdom. We moved out of town, onto some acreage, and decided this is where we'll be when SHTF. We didn't own guns prior to 9-11, mainly because our kids were little. But now, the one capable is learning. We're just here homesteading, enjoying the ways of ole, keeping traditions alive, retaining and recovering lost/little known skill and knowledge, trying get to the point of sustainable living would be feasible long-term, living off what can be grown, raised, foraged, trapped, or hunted (OMG, just heard myself sounding like Ted Nugent there for a minute), and eventually off the grid. Along the way, lesser, more frequent tragedies like school shootings, political climates, and most recently the 36 hr. power outage from hurricane Hermes, are all useful to keep us on track toward our goals.
        Walked into a grocery store 1 week after Hurricane Hermes, and said aloud to no one in particular, "where's all the food?" I took a moment to let that thought sink in. We live different now, because we are different, 9/11 changed us. The information technologies change us: the Information Age has caused society to have this intense hunger for truth, honesty, and exposure of those who would scheme against our health, rights, vitality.
        God bless and comfort those still hurting from 9/11, and a sincere thanks for the endurance and hardships of those who stood strong, tirelessly working, putting off their own grief in order to be first responders to the situation. I love America, and see that, especially since 9/11, she is injured and hurting.

Comment

On 9-10-2001, my idea of prepping was making sure i had enough gas to get to work,my lunch and enough cigarettes for the day. The only "weapon" i carried back then was the old timer trapper pocket knife i carried as a tool more than anything. The only gun i owned at the time was a 12.ga pump
          I had for hunting. We bought grocerys once a week when we were running low.
          Now,I'm a cwp holder. I have my main carry and a backup that i carry everywhere i go. I already had tactical and hand to hand training in the military. But my wife and myself both took multiple defensive handgun,knife and selfdefence classes. As well as i took additional tactical weapon and low light courses. I joined the firstaid ,confined space rescue and hazmat teams where i worked and received excellent training that would benefit me at work as well as at home.
          We started stocking more food and water,and now keep a minimum of no less than a 3 month supply.
          I now keep a ghb in each vehicle and we both have fully stocked bobs .
          Last edited by gpwelding1; 10-30-2016, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X