Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Alaskan Sawmill! DIY Your own Lumber!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Alaskan Sawmill! DIY Your own Lumber!

I got a nice treat from a neighbor a few weeks back, the opportunity to use his Alaskan Sawmill!

It's more than just the chainsaw conversion, but a proper carriage-driven petrol-engine thing with a great hooping sawblade! :

Here's how the machine is used:

Turning these logs:

Into beams like this!

I had a roof to build and got stuck in. This is how the roof turned out with the beam mounted into place.

Beams, beautiful beams!

I worked out each beam costs me roughly $3 or so (plus my time to work the mill), compared to about $40-50 each for the price of the beams, plus transporting only about a handful each trip all the way from a big city many miles away. The Sawmill was much closer and saved much time and energy.

DIY techniques for sawmilling are very much an art, not a science. In the video I try to explain things as I learned and was taught by the master saw miller but it's best to learn by experience as you rip them boards and beam!

Beautiful cuts WR.
    quam minimum credula postero

Comment

Tell us a little more if you would. What are you building? How long are the logs curing before sawing? Issues with warp and twist?

Thanks!

Comment

I like the band mills they have become more common around here over the last 15 years even with the Amish . Older blade mills are expensive to operate and maintain. Cutting into hardware ( nails rocks exc ) with a 24 inch saw blade will cost you 200 to 800 bucks compared to $25 dollar band blade. And most band mills are simple to tare down and move and set back up compared to a blade mill witch is made to be set up and stay there for years. I have experience with both and a band mill can do just as good of job providing you let the saw cut and don't force the mill by trying to go to fast. The only set back I had was with logs that had a bigger diameter than the band mill carriage (26 inches ) so they had to be slabed with the chain saw to fit.
        Good video WR and a good project. I always enjoy looking at building projects with logs and rough cut lumber. There is always something to learn by watching others . TK

Comment

Working...
        X