Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feelings, Nothing More Than Feelings

Sorry for the earworm!

There’s that saying: The road to hell is paved with good intentions. When it comes to censorship, one might say that the road to thought and speech control is paved by people trying to protect othe…

In the 50th anniversary edition [of Fahrenheit 451], Bradbury includes a short afterword where he gives his thoughts on current culture. Almost as if he is speaking directly about the events above, he wrote: “There is more than one way to burn a book. And the world is full of people running around with lit matches.”

There’s that saying: The road to hell is paved with good intentions. When it comes to censorship, one might say that the road to thought and speech control is paved by people trying to protect other people’s feelings.

It’s important to realize that today, we have a media system paid by the pageview and thus motivated with very real financial incentives to find things to be offended about—because offense and outrage are high-valence traffic triggers. We have another industry of people—some call them Social Justice Warriors—who, despite their sincerity of belief, have also managed to build huge platforms by inventing issues and conflicts which they then ride to prominence and influence. One might call both of these types Rage Profiteers. They get us riled up, they appeal to our notions of fairness and empathy—who likes to see someone else’s feelings hurt?—without any regard for what the consequences are.

Of course, the real and fair solution is much less politically correct but effective. It’s to stop trying to protect people’s feelings. Your feelings are your problem, not mine—and vice versa.
    Excellent read.

Kelly

We are raising the biggest generation of ball baby's and poor poor me people that has ever lived. This everyone's a winner. Everyone gets a trophy . You deserve what everyone else has attitude will be the end of this nation in a few years.
    Do you remember ( if you are around my age) when you went to the check out line at the grocery store they always had pin wheels and little wooden air planes right there to get us kids chattering. They were what a quarter? But mom says no so you make a fuss a little louder come on mom and WHAM that ended it. Now parents cant correct their children in public with out going to jail. Kids now are so spoiled that they raise hell in public and their parents just ignore them so now we have a society of people with the manors of a male dog. Kids cant take certain food items in their lunch because other kids cant afford it.. Schools all across the US are trying to go to uniforms for the kids so no one is dressed better than the other.
    So now these kids grow up and they want a fancy house like so and so has . They cant afford it so they default. They want to go on vacation like everyone else does. They cant afford it but they put it on one of their 20 credit cards and they don't pay that back either.
    Now if that aint good enough the media and the govt wants to push all us older generation into political creativeness. They cant wait for us to die off so their just going to drive down our throats. Hey we are whats keeping this country held back by saving are money working hard and by calling a turd a turd.
    I want it and that's that . What do you all think this country's going to be like when all these cry baby's are running it. The debt that Obumer has made will look minute. TK

Comment

Another excellent, long read on this topic:

College students are increasingly demanding protection from words and ideas they don’t like. Here’s why that’s disastrous for education.

The goal is to minimize distorted thinking and see the world more accurately. You start by learning the names of the dozen or so most common cognitive distortions (such as overgeneralizing, discounting positives, and emotional reasoning; see the list at the bottom of this article). Each time you notice yourself falling prey to one of them, you name it, describe the facts of the situation, consider alternative interpretations, and then choose an interpretation of events more in line with those facts. Your emotions follow your new interpretation. In time, this process becomes automatic. When people improve their mental hygiene in this way—when they free themselves from the repetitive irrational thoughts that had previously filled so much of their consciousness—they become less depressed, anxious, and angry.
      Kelly

Comment

Great post

Comment

After reading this I clicked this to read http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/al-...fc&ocid=AARDHP
          Old thoughts came back to me from the military , I worked in the base hospital an when I had my work done I would go down to the emergency room to chat with the medics . It was always a hoot as these guys were some of the funniest people I knew , some might say morgue humor . I see it when ever people are stressed by what they have to deal with , it breaks the tension so you don't go nuts . An that's all I see in this selfie pic , a moment to decompress but the thought police step in and point the finger of shame . Well get a life because that's just being human , if we can't be human then what will we be ?

Comment

Another good read on this topic:

With the latest spree shooting, the anti gun forces are out, and gleefully dancing in the blood of the dead, happy for this incident, so the...

Two positions, one demonstrably true and the other based on nothing more than feelings, do not share the same level of validity. If we can agree on some basic definitions like “true” and “evidence”, and if we can agree that it is important to have true beliefs rather than false ones, then we can and should examine different ideas. While it might be nice to pretend that this kind of dispute is simply a difference of opinion, it most certainly is not. I refuse to pretend that a poorly-argued position, based on straw men refutations of legitimate questions, holds sufficient validity to be granted any more respect than belief in aliens or the Loch Ness monster.
            Kelly

Comment

Great..
              Now I am offended because Al apologized .

How can we remedy this issue .....

A new law perhaps..........

DD
              OH Boy.....did you try plugging it in ?

Comment

A good short film - 7 min - on where we are heading if we don't get this PC BS under control.

Kelly

Comment

The new virus sweeping America : Hurt Feelioma
                  People without any brains do an awful lot of talking. Don't they?!
                  ~the Scarecrow from the Wizard of Oz

Comment

The hate face of that girl is demonic. Both she, and the guy behind her, remind me of
                    the disgusting games of the courtiers in the movies about kings and queens of
                    the past.
                    And even today good people are losing their jobs over one wrong word
                    in their "Tweets". No wonder so many people think Trump is their
                    great hope to get out of this mess.

Great mini-movie!
                    Liberty is “Stolen” by your own signature. Find the adhesion contracts and deal with them.

Comment

that was awesome good find, sad but true.
                      2TNA = 2nd to none Arms, Albany, Oregon
                      Where a big 2 and a big A matter...

"They that can give up liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...
                      X