Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stove

I need some advice.

I know I have not been around a lot. I also know I offended folks and owe that avian flu post still. No excuse, but things gs have blown up here. The busy season at the clinic, ALL of my appliances, the clinic buyout consideration, the garden, and so on.

This is about one of those appliances that blew up.

My house is all electric. Not a good thing, but liveable as long as things continue as they are. The bills, even in the summer are reasonable when the highest I have ever paid is $250.

Well, my stove died amidst all our canning. It is only 9 years old, but it is done, shot, kablewy.

So, I have been considering a propane stove and having a tank set. Should electric go, we have a way to cook, for a while. The expense of having a tank set, a line run and switching to propane is substantial. Really substantial! There are benefits, but there are draw backs.

From all I have read, the propane will heat slower than electric which heats slower than gas. I have had propane stoves before, but I don't remember er how they performed. They were also at least 40 years old when I was using them. I do know I liked how they cooled off when you needed to reduce the temps.

Yeah, I know Tex, too much soy, but the fact of the matter is I am the primary cook, I like it, and I do a pretty damned good job on the canning end too.

Anyway, is the very significant expense worth it? Drawbacks to propane? Benefits besides the obvious cooking during an outage?

Lastly, all the new stoves are still "electric" and I can't find out if they will work during an outage. The people at the box stores are as worthless as tits on a bull when I ask. Does anyone know of affordable stoves that will work in a power outage?

I do have a propane grill with a burner and a turkey fryer that I use for everything but. I also have, but have not installed, a wood stove. I have no idea if it will heat enough to run a pressure canner. I still have to decide where to put it. Codes make it take half of a house.

I keep hoping to find a kerosene stove with multiple burners, but no luck yet.

Help please.

Oh yes, since a windstorm, I now have enough oak to heat and cook for a long time, at the cost of the side of the house and the insurance deductible.

Like I said, everything is blowing up here.

Must have missed when you peed the cheerios. Wouldn't care anyway...........

THIS IS JUST MY OPINION!!!!!!

I would find a cheap used electric stove in the paper. I would also get the hose and converter to use the big propane tanks with a small camp stove. In an event you will be able to cook using small amounts of propane. Big stove, big usage, AND it is stuck where you use it. Planning to default to a coleman stove or camp stove during an emergency leaves you mobile.
    And yes, if the emergency extends to where I run out of propane, I have the stuff to cook over a wood fire too, but it is simple basics in the back yard.

That's what I got.
    "Oh, America. I wish I could tell you that this was still America, but I've come to realize that you can't have a country without people. And there are no people here. No, my friends. This is now the United States of Zombieland"

Comment

I already have a coleman, but it is white gas and gasoline. Never really considered a propane camp stove. Hmmmm.

The double burner turkey fryer thing works well for many things, but I have never tried frying a turkey. I have a 40 lb tank. With both burners wide open, it will still frost a little. I need a couple of 80 lbs tanks.

Comment

Wal-Mart sells a 2 burner stove that takes the small green disposable bottles of propane. With the right adapter you can run it off of that 40lb tank for AGES. I think the 2 burner Wal-Mart brand stove is about $26.

In a collapse you won't be cooking big full meals anyway.......
        "Oh, America. I wish I could tell you that this was still America, but I've come to realize that you can't have a country without people. And there are no people here. No, my friends. This is now the United States of Zombieland"

Comment

I will look into one. For some reason I had never considered them. I always hated the little bottles. You never knew if you were just about to run out or have enough for a week.

Comment

Originally posted by redman2006 View Post
            So, I have been considering a propane stove and having a tank set. Should electric go, we have a way to cook, for a while. The expense of having a tank set, a line run and switching to propane is substantial. Really substantial! There are benefits, but there are draw backs.

From all I have read, the propane will heat slower than electric which heats slower than gas. I have had propane stoves before, but I don't remember er how they performed. They were also at least 40 years old when I was using them. I do know I liked how they cooled off when you needed to reduce the temps.
            Anyway, is the very significant expense worth it? Drawbacks to propane? Benefits besides the obvious cooking during an outage?

Lastly, all the new stoves are still "electric" and I can't find out if they will work during an outage. The people at the box stores are as worthless as tits on a bull when I ask. Does anyone know of affordable stoves that will work in a power outage?

I do have a propane grill with a burner and a turkey fryer that I use for everything but. I also have, but have not installed, a wood stove. I have no idea if it will heat enough to run a pressure canner. I still have to decide where to put it. Codes make it take half of a house.
            Not sure where you read that, but it has never been my experience that propane heats more slowly than electric. I have two propane stoves and a large tank to run them. It would never be my choice to cook on electric stove ever again.

Propane is CHEAP out here; another cost you will need to factor in. Check out the per gallon price where you are before you make up your mind. Also, it will likely be higher in winter - just like heating oil.

Given you already have a gas grill and a turkey fryer, maybe you don't 'need' the added expense of going propane for your primary stove. That is, you already have backup cooking options!

I like myakka's idea to find a cheap replacement in the paper or craigslist, while you make up your mind about propane. Find out how big of a tank you can have on your property. I don't know where you live, but if you are in/near any large population, I'm betting there are regulations for it.

Good luck, keep us posted and don't be a stranger.

Kelly

Comment

I have my little 5 acres. A neighbor has a 500 gallon tank. For some reason, I thought he said it was over $3. Maybe not. Sure is a lot more than the $1.12 I last paid. Just the line to the house is about $5 a foot to run. Then pouring a pad for the tank, the tank rental or purchase, the running of the inside line....it gets expensive.

So, if I were to go propane, what of these new stoves can actually run without electricity?

Comment

Do a lot of math and figure out how long it would take for a propane system to pay for itself in your area. The costs of someone in another city or state will vary enough (delivery charges, possible extra for more miles, etc,) to make most other peoples' numbers a "close, but no cigar" kind of total for you. Electronic ignition is in everything right now, but matches are cheap. A year supply is cheap, a twist of scrap paper is cheap in a power-out situation when you should have a candle or lamp lit anyway - and you wouldn't be setting up camp gear just to make breakfast.

Just have a very clear idea what you're committing to before you sign anything.
                quam minimum credula postero

Comment

in my area of Michigan the price is .99 cents /gal best ever. Hopefully in August when we can prebuy it will be that price lol .

Comment

Hear me and repeat slowly: P R O P A N E.

I absolutely detest, despise and am totally racist towards electric ranges. Even the propane ones with electric igniters can be lit with a match -- I don't care what the sales info says. That's one of the first things I'm swapping out at the cabin. Propane is useful for generators, cooking, heating and I even have a tankless water here at the beach that runs on propane.

Now, if you have a wood cookstove you're not using, we should talk price. I'll take it off your hands and show you how to get it hot enough to pressure can.

Actually, Myakka's plan will work too if that's easier for the time being too. I mean - a wood campfire in a good fire pit, and a solid grill to hold the canner - and you'd still be in business.

ETA: you know I'm just bustin' your chops, right?

Comment

Originally posted by redman2006 View Post
                      So, if I were to go propane, what of these new stoves can actually run without electricity?
                      All gas stove burners can be lit with a match, but the ovens cannot. Even if you can light the oven with a match, the electronic ignition cannot relight to maintain your desired temperature as the oven self-regulates.

Commercial models still have live pilots (no electronics), but most consumers are not up for the initial expense of those babies.

Kelly

Comment

I don't much think of it, but even my little stove in the RV runs off our propane. And even though it's an older one, it barely sips at it, my propane lasts AGES. Heats the oven up quickly, and the range top is 3 burners.

Beautiful thing is, once you turn it to pilot-on and light it, it stays on til you turn the propane off or turn the pilot light off.

RV stove for the win, I could live with it easily.
                        quam minimum credula postero

Comment

Three words:
                          Origo Alcohol Stove!

The positives are:
                          You can create your own fuel or buy it aftermarket in a PAW scenario.
                          You don't have to worry about running out of fuel (propane)
                          The fuel is non-flammable (Ethanols vapor point is 80f)
                          You can spray it with a water bottle if you have a spill and it catches fire (alcohol absorbs water and auto-extinguishes)
                          And mostly, there are no restrictions on installation or fuel storage. If you file with the BATFE you can get a 10,000 gallon self use permit to make your own.

kitchen_stove3.jpg

You're still walking free. Enjoy it while you can.
                          Homesite: http://millenniummangear.com
                          Twitter: https://twitter.com/millenniumgear

Comment

A lot of this is not about shtf as much as the fairly frequent outages we have with storms. Last winter, I was out a day. On house over, with the line coming from a different direction, was out nearly 2 weeks. They WERE all electric.

Wow, $0.99? $2.30 plus delivery plus tank fee here.

Sac, that wood stove is going nowhere! Lol. I am just trying to decide how to install it and make it look good. I will likely put it in the basement. The cost of a chase and pipe will be more than the stove was, but I got a heck of a deal on a true wood range.

Comment

The only issue I have with wood stoves in a shtf scenario is the distance at which smoke can be smelled. I realize this might not be a major issue for all, but wood smoke will be a beacon down wind. Just a thought..........

Comment

Working...
                              X