Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello From Vermont...

Hello All,

I just thought I would take a moment to let other members know a bit about me. I am probably not the "typical" member here, as I am not a "survivalist" nor "prepper," and live/lived a different lifestyle and upbringing than most. I hope, where I am able to contribute on subjects/topics I may be of some value. If a member has a question that is within my "wheelhouse" that I may offer something of worth to give, please ask.

I am a mix race, inactive U. S. Marine, with a rather eclectic and broad professional and academic background in Indigenous Life Skills (ILS) from Timberwright, to permaculturalist, and from being a zookeeper to a wilderness experiential clinician. I currently live in Vermont, and as always, love the outdoors.

Interesting (strange??) facts about me...

Mother was Native American, African American, and of Highlander linage, and my Father is mix race Roma with Carpathian lineage...

I have been clinically "dead" 3 times from either being a "fool" or being in the "wrong place at the wrong time..."

I love snakes...but they sometimes haven't loved me back, and landed me in the hospital...

I have slept outside 300 days a year in all seasons, all locations, for most of my life after age 4, (give or take a few exceptions..)

I didn't wear shoes until I learned to read...and that wasn't till I was 13 years old...(dyslexia is a real pain in the back side...!!!)

I have been lucky enough to have been raised within several cultures at one time from Native, to Korean/Japanese to African American/Hispanic.

I was (on and off) an Old Order Amish apprenticed Barnwright from age of 14 til 23 when I joined the U.S. Marines...

I believe that "open minds are priceless..."

I believe tithing should be a way of living, not just part of a belief system...

I am well traveled and love every culture I have been with...(some more than others...)

I think individual people are great and "governments" suck!!

and that should be good enough info about me for now...

Regards,

j
    Dear Angery American Members,

For additional information about subjects I have post on, please feel free to contact me at tosatomo@gmail.com if you wish, or through other means at http://about.me/tosatomo. I am always glad to help where I can...

Regards,

j

Welcome to the boards Jay! Sounds like you have quite a few areas you would be able to help out with. Look around the forums and join in some topics.
    http://www.nstactical.com For all your prepping, tactical, freeze dried food, first aid, surplus, water filtration, and body armor needs!

Comment

Welcome J. Although you may not be our "typical" member, I think that you will find us a pretty welcoming group. I'm not even sure that we have a *typical* member.
      After reading your posts and visiting your site, you sound like you will fit well here. Do you consider yourself a "naturalist"?
      Defund the Media !!

Comment

Hi there. Jump in, where ever. We don't bite.

I'm on the beach in NC.

Comment

Welcome & Semper fi Marine!

Kessler, aka Bob, USMC Vietnam vet.
          Kessler
          I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure....
          INCOMING GUNFIRE ALWAYS HAS THE RIGHT-OF-WAY!

Comment

I volunteer to be the typical member, but we will have to change a few things.

Welcome aboard J.
            "Oh, America. I wish I could tell you that this was still America, but I've come to realize that you can't have a country without people. And there are no people here. No, my friends. This is now the United States of Zombieland"

Comment

Welcome Jay, we're ok with Marines here, and Highlanders too.

Have to admit, I'm quite fond of sleeping outside, and not wearing shoes. Need waders around here though.
              quam minimum credula postero

Comment

Welcome from PA.

Comment

Welcome from the midwest Jay! I bet you have a lot of interesting stories to share!
                  Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.”
                  Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Comment

Originally posted by myakka View Post
                    I volunteer to be the typical member, but we will have to change a few things.
                    Is this the mysterious FloridaMan?
                    "“The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.” – Thomas Paine

Comment

Hey Everyone...thanks for the warm welcome!!

I should get better at navigating the "forums" and how they work as time progresses...

Originally posted by Kickstand
                      Do you consider yourself a "naturalist"?
                      Hmmm...I am probably too old for that appellation as in my day (and upbringing ) that meant "nudist."

Actually, I look at myself, and many folks like us as "traditionalist," for what that is worth in our given spectrums. Just think, go back just 100 years and few of us would feel out of place at all. I like the "timeline" I am in, but think like a "3rd world" native, or one of my ancestors more than I do a "modern person."

Originally posted by W.Lynn
                      I'm quite fond of sleeping outside, and not wearing shoes...
                      Ya... that shoes and boots thing...not my scene, but have at least gotten use to wearing them (or at least moccasins or loafers ) but some folks still think I need boots when carving stone or timber framing... Haven't lost any toes yet...

Isn't it great just being able to lay down wherever you are (like a dog/wolf) and just go to sleep...I love sleeping outside, and just can't bring myself to be in for walls and stale air. Our cabin porch is my families compromise for me most nights...just flop down right on the wood with a blanket or bag and block of something under my head...plain, simple, and get the job done...

Again...thanks for the welcome everyone...and send me a link to any conversations I don't find that you think I might have something of worth to add...

Regards,

j

For additional information about subjects I have post on, please feel free to contact me at tosatomo@gmail.com if you wish, or through other means at http://about.me/tosatomo. I am always glad to help where I can...

Regards,

j

Comment

My parents wouldn't let me sleep outside, except on the rare "organized camping trip." So as I've gotten older, I made sure to have plenty of the other kind. Had to sneak the family up on it though, from scouts with my kids when they were little, and ren faires, to just me & the husband out on motorcycles with a bit of gear and some food.
                        quam minimum credula postero

Comment

It's ok if you are a naturalist. Some of us here swear a blue streak, others wait naked out by the mailbox for our deliveries.

Seen some of your designs and builds on your main page, you got some nice stuff.
                          You're still walking free. Enjoy it while you can.
                          Homesite: http://millenniummangear.com
                          Twitter: https://twitter.com/millenniumgear

Comment

Good to read that WL...especially the next generation...

I start many workshops/classes on related subjects to this by asking where folks "sleep" and "eat." Sleeping (where and how) is probably a core or foundational element to many modern ailments.

"Naturalize" the diet and the sleeping habits and I think we improve health 90%...along with our longevity...

Regards,

j

Comment

Thanks Millennium Man...I love traditional-natural building with earth, stone, timber or textile...

I am going to be posting soon on another forum (Permies.com) a thread on an "open sourced" 4.8 meter by 7.2 meter (~16'x24') "Asian style" timber frame that only sits on 6 stone plinth. This will be a fully documented build of how the frame is laid out and cut to raising it on the foundation stones. This frame is going to be a pavilion for an elementary schools aftercare program and public shelter at the adjacent park/sports fields. This frame could function as a cabin, starter home, workshop, or several other applications. I will try to "cross post" in here as well for "Angery American" members to use and/or ask questions about. Any suggested sub forums I would post something like that in??

Regards,

j

Regards,

j

Comment

Working...
                              X