Tarp vs Hammock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tarp vs Hammock

Ok, so the entire world seems to be going to the compression sack hammocks. Me, I've always been the bedroll, tarp, and 550 kind of guy. But... let's just say I WAS getting older (if that were true) and my old ass was tired of sleeping on the ground (if that were true) and I WERE in the market for one of these hammocks to hold a six-foot-three fella about 200 pounds (which I'll neither confirm nor deny).... what would one suggest that's affordable and that you've used and truly feel would hold up to repeated use in the field (were I so attempt such a thing)?

Thoughts/Suggestions?

I'm currently running with a full military sleep system and bedroll - with the thought that if I had to bug out I'd just dump what I didn't need of it depending on the time of year and current climate. I'm considering unslinging that from my general pack and just keeping it in the truck and replacing it with a hammock in the bag. If I need the sleep system, fine, grab it and rope it on. If I'm just going for a hike in the woods for a couple days, I could deal without the weight.

I use an eno double nest because it is cheap. If the $ was there, a warbonnet blackbird xcl would be my dream hammock. Now, if you are a diy, consider making one yourself. A gathered end hammock is easy as long as you don't want foot boxes or netting sew in.

It may be bad form to suggest, but there is a huge hammock forum that has tons of information.

If it is cold, you will not be happy with the system unless you have an underquilt.

Comment

I checked out the ENO and it looked pretty danged comfy. I could jump in that with a sleep system I think if needed. Seems pretty good sized, but closes you all up nice and comfy from the looks of it. It's on my Amazon wish list now. lol

Comment

A really cheap, but not very light, underquilt is a simple mod to a poncho liner. That will take me down to the 40's easily. A quick google to find the poncho liner underquilt will get you what you need. I used the no sew, but the sewn version would be a little better.

Comment

the following is just my opinion-- let me just say that I am a big time hammock camper. I have two Hennessy Explorer Deluxe Asym (s) and a BlackBird Warbonet hammock. and two sets of down under quilts.

There are a couple advantages and a couple major disadvantages to hammock camping. There are also two types of people in this world.
          First off, there are those can sleep well in a hammock and those that do not. If you can't sleep on your back, you wont sleep well in a hammock (unless you get a bridge hammock). So try one in the backyard first before you invest in a hammock sleep system. Which brings me to the first disadvantage. It is really hard and equipment intensive to stay warm. You can't just throw your sleeping bag in the hammock and climb in the bag, you'll freeze due to convection current. You need either a wide sleeping mat (which is not optimum for sleeping in a hammock) or you need a under quilt, most people use down (which brings up another disadvantage, if it gets wet you will freeze). I've tried that poncho under quilt sleeping hack, and it didn't work for me, my shoulders are too wide. You'll also need a top quilt or a sleeping bag as well.

As opposed to sleeping on the deck, where you just need a mat and a sleeping bag. Another down side is you'll need a couple trees about 25 feet apart and strong enough for the hammock. If you are in a area where there are no trees you either are SOL or you need to macgyver the crap out of something to get you off the ground and that far apart. So if you sleep on your side, or on your stomach forget it. If gear is a concern, forget it. Two quilts, or a sleeping bag and a mat. Either way you'l need a tarp (IMHO).

Advantages: set up is about 2 minutes for the hammock, 2 minutes for the tarp above the hammock, 5 minutes for the under-quilt. Take down is about 2 minutes for the hammock and the tarp (at the same time), and a couple minutes for the under quilt. Super fast and easy. Next advantage is you are off the ground, and in my case have a built in bug net. I happen to sleep great on my back!

Bottom line for me is, if I am moving fast and I don't know what lays ahead of me, I'm going to pack to sleep on the ground with a tarp. No matter what you need a tarp (even with a hammock) and you need a sleeping bag. The mat is light and no matter where I am I can use it.

Comment

I think Joe Beck nailed it on his assessment. They are really nice to take a summers afternoon nap in but they do have their pitfalls. Another thing I might bring about is as a guy gets a little older (I'm not confirming or denying any of this) it's much harder to climb into and out of a swinging contraption to get some shut eye. Then add in the factor of having to get up at 0100.....0300.....etc etc to take a whizz because you are smart and keep yourself hydrated. Then add in a rain storm etc. climbing in and out of a hammock under less than optimal conditions is a mess and let's face it we aren't getting any younger. I'll take sleeping on the ground using a Ranger Roll every time, especially if I think the weather is going to be messed up. I'm not knocking your ideas or questions at all and think that's what a site like this should be like to ask questions and get out and do things. This is purely my own .02
            Hold my beer and watch this

Comment

LOL-- forgot about the midnight pee breaks, I've been to a couple "hangs" (where everyone there camps in a hammock). One guy put on a seminar on how to pee in a pee bottle whilst in the hammock. I never could, as soon as my cold hands touch "it", "it" goes into turtle mode. I wouldn't want to risk it.

Also getting in without your boots on is a major ordeal if you aren't flexible, the best way I found was to put a folded tarp down (about a 2 foot square) take off your boots, step on the tarp, sit down in the hammock, then swing your legs in. But there is no easy way to get your boots on though. I have to swing my feet over onto the tarp, then balance while putting on the boots. I've seen people without a gut sit in the hammock and reach over, grab their boots and put their boots on while sitting in the hammock, but I'm not flexible enough to do that. If the ground is muddy forget it.

There is a ton of info if you search hammock forum-- believe it or not there is a huge active forum of hammock campers. Be forewarned though... don't buy anything from the for sale section the sellers there typically feel they should get full retail for their used gear. I've seen used gear for higher then retail as a matter of fact. SMH-- but the info is good and most of the people are nice. Just don't mention guns while camping, they will freak out.

Comment

i was using a hennessy hammock in my BoB but i like multi use items and less weight.i found a poncho/hammack/shelter thru wilderness innovations and its a good deal.if a poncho can support me at 300 lb 6 ft tall and covers my leggs to my shin's it is tough .it is worth checking out.i love mine.

Comment

I have, but haven't tried it yet, Warbonnet. It packs small and is light and no it's not cheap.

Comment

Working...
                  X