Homebrew XBMC TV Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homebrew XBMC TV Box

I am building a homebrew XBMC box to illustrate the versatility of the Rasberry Pi for everyone

Its going on my QS site as well as its companion site I am still adding too

Im also going to build one to run HAM radio and Electronic book/files programs

I am far from an expert on anything computer related, and this will be a great primer to get prepping budgets added too by chopping the cable bill. I got rid of my cable, and I watch better TV now than I did paying $200 a month to DSL companies

Ill post it here first as I write, If anyone is interested?
    Owner of the quietsurvivalist.com

Ok, I'm dense. Just what is an XBMC box supposed to do for you? Not trying to be a smartass, I just don't know what that is.

Dang, now I want some raspberry pie. (ok, maybe a little smartass there)
    Defund the Media !!

Comment

LMAO

A Rasberry pi is a very small, very powerful computer which has multiple abilities, but what I want to is run XBMC http://bestcablealternative.com/2015...di-what-is-it/

XBMC/ KODI What is it

This question I get in emails all the time so I will post it up here and hopefully it will make sense

It is a software media player. Totally open source that has the ability to play videos, movies and run add ons from the app listings. It is a one stop source for searching movies, TV shows and real time events on line. It is one of those things the more you play with it the more you like it.

EVERYTHING available online will play through KODI, which is the most modern version of XBMC

XBMC searched the nest for specific movies, shows etc you want to watch

Lets say, you want to watch the new avengers movie, or mad max movie......but is it worth the drive and cost???

Stream it first, take a look and then decide if its really something you want to see at the theater or wait for the DVD.

TV shows- literally 5 minutes after its aired its track able by XBMC, and its legal, its the same as TV broadcast on the open you pick up with an antenna

So how much are you paying for cable??? And how much could you be spending on preps if you werent but could still watch whatever you wanted?

Ill tell you how much I was $187 a month, now I get better TV/Movies and I get them when I click, no recording, no remembering to set it up, no being home at the right time...NADA click and watch

Over 5 years do the math....I'll wait......$11,220 dollars. Hmm, can you tell why Im a bit tweeked by that kind of outlay?

And the little pi will run anything you can load on an SD card, ham radio control programs, repeater control programs, doppler DF programs, etc. If it plugs into a USB or HDMI output it will run like a top.

Interested now? https://www.amazon.com/CanaKit-Raspb...SIN=B008XVAVAW

IM going to do pics, detailed press this button, search this program, use this or that screwdriver to assemble the project box etc. And once its up and running you are Golden, just leanr the program once its plugged in to the TV and you are good

And Ill help with that too. Its not so much a TV box as a starter for learning what a small computer can do to help you with prepping. You can run exell lists and spreadsheets on it, or as I use OPen Office 4.1.1 which is compatabl;e but free online downloadable.
      Owner of the quietsurvivalist.com

Comment

Working...
      X