Going Home could happen tomorrow.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going Home could happen tomorrow.....

http://video.foxnews.com/v/421563543...#sp=show-clips Just saw this on Fox news. This is my #1 fear for this country. 20 billion to fix the grid against this kind of an attack and we have known about it for better then 50 years and we still havent spent a penny on making it happen. If that isnt reason enough for you to make sure you are getting you and your family ready for this kind of a scenario then I dont know what is. This would only be the beginning. If the lights went out, The Economy would colapse, millions would die. Make sure your not one of them.

Get a plan together.
    Stock up on emergency supplies food water
    Learn to protect yourself and your loved ones
    Know where to go and what to do.

Ask yourself if the power went out tomorrow are you ready? Would you know where your next meal is coming from? Do you have a plan together to secure yourself and family from the tremendous hardship that could last 3 weeks to a year? If you answered no to any of those questions then youll probably be one of the millions who will not make it. I have these discussions with my family. They used to think I was a bit crazy and Paranoid. Then Sept 11th happened and that really opened up their eyes. Now my wife, who has never shot a gun before owns 3 and shoots every Tuesday. Spends 100s of dollars on ammo so she can be prepared if the day ever came. She has taken just about every firearm class offered. She also works with me on our preparedness plan. She used to be one of those that said " ohh the government wouldnt let that happen to us" Then Katrina hit. That really showed how much our Government would help.

This isnt fear mongering. This is a real scenario that could happen tomorrow. I believe thats why Going Home has such a following. It could realistically happen tomorrow.

I have a friend who works for DHS. I asked him in all the scenarios they have prepared for which one would be the most realistic. Guess what he said...... Lights going out. They already know this and are preparing for it. But they arnt preparing us for it. We are the masters of our own domain, Protectors of our own castle, keepers of our own future. The ones who dont rely on government services and are ready for anything to happen are the ones who will survive situations like this.

I also asked him what is the one main piece of advice you can give the average person. He stated for the first 72 hours is when most of the mayhem will take place. Those 72 hours are the lockdown hours he stated. That is when most people will be in panic mode and not caring about human life, That is when most people will die. He said if there is one thing I can tell someone is to stay inside and lock down everything for the first 72 hours. Your chances for survival are immensely improved if you can sustain yourself for the first 72 hours to 2 weeks. He stated that has already been proven in history with some events of the past and by looking at other countries who went through Trauma where lawlessness flourished. He also stated that well organized communities or groups would have a greater chance at survival as they can run protection details and strength is in numbers.

So what are you going to do to prepare? Is it on your mind all day every day? Are you constantly looking for ways to improve your survival chances? I am. I believe we all have a chance if we choose to stack the deck in our favor.
    We cant prepare for everything I know this. Some things have to be left to faith and luck. But if we can all do one thing each day to prepare ourselves we increase our odds greatly.

Some may think Im a bit crazy but hopefully most see the logic in my post. Its those that choose to lie to themselves and believe it wont happen in our lifetime that will suffer the most. Hate to see that happen to anyone.

Stay Safe my friends.

Great Post! I have a room in my house dedicated to storing supplies. My parents live next door to me and swore I was nuts until we had an ice storm in March of 2014. We were without power for 8 days. During that time, they ate, had lanterns for light and were fairly comfortable because of things I had stored. I may not last a year if the grid collapses but it won't be because I didn't have enough supplies.

Comment

I live in hurricane territory. I stay prepared. Am I as organized as I wanna be? Oh, H--- no. But we're getting there. Not having power doesn't affect me, as much as other people - emotionally, being able to cope, that is.

More later, since that organization & planning calls to me, today. Not so much for a "lights out" scenario since I have those bases covered. Have ya noticed how it seems there are multiple threats ramping up to "crisis" or "outbreak" stage lately?

Comment

I like this thread so far and I'd like to see more input on this subject and keeping it serious too. A SHTF situation could happen tomorrow and helping each other on here in all aspects of being prepared would be posts of merit.
        Kessler
        I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure....
        INCOMING GUNFIRE ALWAYS HAS THE RIGHT-OF-WAY!

Comment

Water - Food - Shelter - (and then Security)

I got overwhelmed by all the lists, because I had to sort through as many as I could find and then make my own list, my own way. And even that has been redesigned, looking at the problem from the other end. In ANY crisis, of any duration, we always at all times need the 4 basics. I guess weather appropriate clothing falls under shelter. Perhaps Medical would be my 5th category. All big headings; and within them you can look around at what you do & have right now for those things and then pick your starting point, on what is required to meet your individual needs in your location.

After medical, my next important category was Tools. But we're already pretty well fixed for tools, and all I've been thinking about is some redundancy there and the fuel/power issues. I was already a lifelong hand tool freak. Age is affecting that some; I'm slower than I used to be.

Then, a person can scale up in phases in each category. Always have matches & lighters around; added a couple more reliable fire starter methods. Have always had camp stoves, gas/charcoal grills... so I can cook. Grew up with blizzards and lived without power from storms as a kid. I know the drill on filling bathtubs, cleaning the house & doing laundry BEFORE the storm - coz you won't have time/power on after...

Have canned since the 60s; grown food; broke sod to start new gardens in different locations (and am in the most challenging ever at the beach). I know the organic cycle that the farmers used, before "commercial" farming. And I still have a year's worth of dehydrated food put back, because I know crops can fail and there very well could be years with "no summer" like we've had in the past. Gramma (who survived the depression) preferred 2 years of food on the shelf. This was supplemented with local meats and fishing & hunting.

So, I can be comfortable in an 1860s setting, if that's what we face. But I keep my eye out for new technology that can be used or adapted in those situations, too. Big fan of solar chargers & lights/lanterns here.

Whatever we end up facing, I know from experience that those basics will take a lot more time and work, than they do now. So I make sure I do what I can to keep myself ready to do that work. All those bonafides laid out -- I still have things to learn and things I need to practice - so that I don't forget how. Haven't made bread in a couple of years. Need to get through this HAM book, and take my test. And am rethinking this location -- which was chosen with an eye towards it's advantages in some SHTF situations.

Comment

I answered a similar discussion on another more local site. Whether I am insanely prepared and totally ready for whatever comes, or whether I end up LIVING the going home saga all depends on timing. I travel for work, gone for about 3 weeks at a time, and usually twice a year or so depending on the severity of the season. So if this happens while I am gone, I am screwed. If I am home, I have access to tons of emergency equipment and disaster relief type supplies (not always but often).
            And then I have my own preps. So really I could face a major disaster easier at home than a minor one while deployed.
            "Oh, America. I wish I could tell you that this was still America, but I've come to realize that you can't have a country without people. And there are no people here. No, my friends. This is now the United States of Zombieland"

Comment

My wife and I are both Vets, so shooting and seeing what could happen just down the road - no problem. But with me being on disibility and money a big issue just having 30 days worth of food and the ability to clean any water I need is just not enough. I have the knowledge and have just enough solar power to keep a freezer and flashlights going. Getting into a group is the best chance for most, not every one is going to have the same knowledge. Finding a group to join/be with to survive is the issue. After 2004 hurricanes, I was along with 25 other family and friends did rather well, having power and firearms to keep a watch and give the neighbors water and a radio so we knew if anyone was comming. Those neighbors on either side were of great help as we made sure they had water and protection if they called- of course they let us know of anyone being around. This prevented us from being surprised be a group of 13 people just sneaking around one night. I think money for building supplies is the biggest problem for a lot of us- what to buy first and how much?

Comment

I think the biggest thing that I practice and preach is not just stocking up but also learning how to use and make the most of what I stock up. A gun in a mans hand that doesnt know how or doesnt think he can take another life is as useless a pencil in a lame presidents hand. You have to know how and be prepared to use whatever it is you are relying on. How many folks out there own a fire steel and have never practiced using it, How many people out there dont own at least 1 filter or have the know how to sanitize water for themselves. Surviving and thriving is a way of life for me. Practicing with everything I own so I know it will work for me.
                True story Ive taken hunters out on 5 mile hikes into the backwoods of Colorado on 8 day elk hunts who have on brand new unbroken in boots, a pack they borrowed from a family member. And they wonder why they are ready to give it up after 2 miles in because their feet and shoulders hurt so bad they have to stop.

Another thing to consider is having a plan B. So we do all this preparing, we have all these resources we have sunk huge amounts of money into but what if you cant stay? What if you cant bug in but have to bug out? Do you know where youll go? How you are getting there? These are all questions you have to answer for yourself. But having that plan B may become your plan A because you have no other choice. Having a family meet up spot incase our home is compromised, how far is it? Whats the best route to get there to stay safe during a lawless situation.

As important as it is to stock up its also equally important to know how to protect you and your family and be able to keep what you have stocked. Have you ever practices how to clear your home? You have 3 people in your home ready to take you and your families life How do you handle that? How do you do it without killing one of your own? Do you store weapons in places around your home so you always have access to something no matter where you are in your home when a situation arises? These are great topics and things that most people take for granted. Security is top in my book. Situational awareness is also very high priority. Not just with your neighborhood, town, state. But also whats going on around the world. We can say it will never happen to America but thats when many people will die.

Im no expert, I dont claim to be any of the sort. I learn all I can though and continue to learn on a daily basis. I think about these things all the time. That way if it ever does happen then it wont be such a "I cant believe this is happening" moment. Enough of my rambling. Anything I can do to help out others who are also like minded and need tips tricks or recommendations Im happy to assist. One of the biggest resources we can all become wealthy on is knowledge. Knowledge is power.

Comment

Im lacking in 2 things. Medicine and transportation.

I'd like to learn more about storing antibiotics and what will keep for awhile. I'm allergic to penicillin or anything with cillin on the end of it. That hurts me as far as finding something that I can get in different forms.

Also, I'd like to have an older, beater kind of truck. I've got an eclipse I just bought for next to nothing. Going to sell it in the next couple weeks and I should be able to make 12-1500 profit. Gonna buy an older 4x4 Chevy or gmc truck that runs but looks like hell. Tune it up and keep it full of gas with several scepter cans full in the bed. Not that I'll have much reason to use it but you never know. If I'm near home when something goes down, I plan to dig in, until I have to bug out. Then I have a plan B. There's a guy down the road a few miles that's living completely off grid. Raises and kills and grows everything they eat. If I can't stay here I'll be headed there. He lives back in the woods and I have an open invite. Strength in numbers is what he's going for

Comment

I am in search of a small BOL which would be where I will spend my remaining days on this earth. Where I live now is not where I would want to be in a SHTF situation.

But, my problem as far as supplies is water. I have thought about 55 gallon plastic barrels and I've thought about those 250 gallon tanks that have a cage around them, but...neither are easily movable. Any ideas on 5-20 gallon containers (that won't break the bank) that I can store water in and still be movable?

I've got food, ammo and some medical supplies, but I am really lacking on the most important thing that you need.....water.
                    Kessler
                    I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure....
                    INCOMING GUNFIRE ALWAYS HAS THE RIGHT-OF-WAY!

Comment

Kess, I use blue 15 gallon jugs to store both water and fuel in. They are manageable for one person, a hand truck makes it a lot easier. You can't plan for everything, all we can do is the best we can. But having a diversified pantry is better than 10K rounds of ammo and no food or water. I try to add some of each type as I can. Food purchase one time, ammo another. Next time maybe medical. One thing I think people often overlook is clothes. Someone mentioned weather appropriate clothing and was correct that it's part of your shelter system. But how many of us store extra clothes? If you have kids are you planning for their growth, have extra shoes in the sizes up from where they are now? How about boots for you and them? More than one pair for you? In such an event shoes would wear out quick. I once heard of an old Russian guy buying shoes in a thrift store, bags of them in all types and sizes. When asked why he said he lived through the collapse of the USSR and shoes became very hard to find. I was struck by what he said next, when it happens here I'll be ready, I'll be rich. He had no doubt but that the same sort of things would take place here one day.
                      I'm drunk tonith.

Comment

Originally posted by bnorr79 View Post
                        Im lacking in 2 things. Medicine and transportation.

I'd like to learn more about storing antibiotics and what will keep for awhile. I'm allergic to penicillin or anything with cillin on the end of it. That hurts me as far as finding something that I can get in different forms.

Also, I'd like to have an older, beater kind of truck. I've got an eclipse I just bought for next to nothing. Going to sell it in the next couple weeks and I should be able to make 12-1500 profit. Gonna buy an older 4x4 Chevy or gmc truck that runs but looks like hell. Tune it up and keep it full of gas with several scepter cans full in the bed. Not that I'll have much reason to use it but you never know. If I'm near home when something goes down, I plan to dig in, until I have to bug out. Then I have a plan B. There's a guy down the road a few miles that's living completely off grid. Raises and kills and grows everything they eat. If I can't stay here I'll be headed there. He lives back in the woods and I have an open invite. Strength in numbers is what he's going for
                        I cant help you on the medicine part. Im afraid I am lacking there also. There are many natural remedies out there but its going to depend greatly on the situation and what you are looking at stocking up for. No way other then having a Medical facility close by could you prep for anything that may happen. My biggest medical is trauma stuff sutchers, pain killers, blood stoppers, and plenty of compression type stuff. Of course bandages and the essentials are also in there.

As far as alternative transportation. Ive given this a lot of thought and prepped for it also. If you put yourself in your surrounding area and take a look at the population you hve to factor in will traffic be a major issue? If so I would highly recommend looking at something on 2 wheels to get you where you want to go. I own a 4runner wife owns a SUV also so we are covered on rough roads if need be but in our area traffic would be a game changer for us. So Bikes with motors it is. Not talking about Motorcycles but actual bikes with 49cc motors that make them go. These can still be used manually or you can release the clutch and go with the motor. This means you dont get snarled by traffic but its not without its own set of issues. Like making sure you dont get run over by the vehicles your trying to avoid in the first place. For this we have paths through neighborhoods bike trails, Green Belts we can take to keep us out of sight and off the roads. This for us is our safest route. Remember the more your seen by others the worse your chances are of making it in a situation where its out of control. Something to think about for sure. Anything with a small motor that will get you down the road at 15+ mph without exerting a bunch of energy is a good thing. But also you need to plan your routes and your transportation needs to be tested and be able to use it effectively. you need to know how to go where you want to go by staying off the main roads.

Comment

Originally posted by kscmac View Post
                          My wife and I are both Vets, so shooting and seeing what could happen just down the road - no problem. But with me being on disibility and money a big issue just having 30 days worth of food and the ability to clean any water I need is just not enough. I have the knowledge and have just enough solar power to keep a freezer and flashlights going. Getting into a group is the best chance for most, not every one is going to have the same knowledge. Finding a group to join/be with to survive is the issue. After 2004 hurricanes, I was along with 25 other family and friends did rather well, having power and firearms to keep a watch and give the neighbors water and a radio so we knew if anyone was comming. Those neighbors on either side were of great help as we made sure they had water and protection if they called- of course they let us know of anyone being around. This prevented us from being surprised be a group of 13 people just sneaking around one night. I think money for building supplies is the biggest problem for a lot of us- what to buy first and how much?
                          kscmac, I more than anyone know the feeling. I wasn't always as well off as we are now, not rich by any means but we are doing better than we used too. As far as where to start first. You have to first take an inventory of what you have now and find where the holes are in that which can make your life much harder if something ever did find its way to your area. Id first think about your survival needs and your surroundings.
                          Basic needs for survival depending on your area and where you live are going to be

Shelter
                          Protection
                          Water
                          Heat/Fire
                          Food
                          Medical needs (as you stated already)

If you can make sure you have these things covered and can sustain yourself for a period of time you can then find your starting point. When I'm thinking about these things I'm also considering all that are in my family. If you are married kids grandkids relatives nearby you have to think about them also because survival chances are greater in numbers as someone has already stated.

For myself and my family these are my basic needs. They aren't things that will make us overly comfortable but if I have those covered that will get us by. Start out with a week's worth of food stored away. You recycle it through but you always have that week's worth of food besides what you and your family would normally keep for your daily needs. Now you can start building on that slowly and so on so forth.
                          Last edited by SHTFCO; 05-06-2015, 07:20 AM.

Comment

Water bricks might help out with the storage issues. A cistern too, with downspouts channeled there. You'll need a hand pump or a bucket & rope.

Water bricks: http://www.amazon.com/Water-Storage-...ick+containers

NOTE: the amazon listing is just for reference; quite often we've done better on the prices going right to the manufacturer's website.

As far as BOL areas - location, location, location. I'm looking at places that are the middle of nowhere WV and southwestern Va. I don't like the state gov in Va, having 20+ years experience with the swings from Libs to conservatives and the dominance of the DC suburbs on the rest of the state. Definitely the Piedmont areas and WEST of there, in the mountains. NC is still a possibility, but be aware there are some pricy - and yuppie - resort areas. What I've found so far for land, with outbuildings or an old farm house are beginning to get scarce... unless they're right on the edges of town with very little land.

ETA: Also be aware of the locations of AT&T installations as they are the open-secret "cover" for gov installations. Peters Mtn. near Charlottesville was just featured on Zerohedge; there's another in Clarke Co. at Mt. Weather; Harper's Ferry is another; Olney, MD; the Greenbrier in WV... they could become targets because they are so well known or they could be dummies -- intended to distract. I haven't decided yet.

Comment

I make Ionic Silver/Colloidal Silver & Colloidal Gold, the stuff works great. As long as you use at when you notice a problem. I have one of those "crank washers" and it works pretty well, people will forget that you must clean your clothes and maintain hygiene or everyone around you will get sick! And having a good old clothesline to dry your wash. I am surprised by how many people don't think of how to get rid of personal waste- they don't have a clue! I been thinking of getting a bag of lime to put on the waste as it is burried. I have several Ign transformers wired up to doors and windows that is run by a marine battery and I can turn them on as needed, most people will let go of the door/window with 35KV emitting from it! Right now I am trying to find a 5-liter distillation flask to build a desalination unit (I am near the ocean/river).

Comment

Working...
                              X