22mag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 22mag

I can't remember who was looking for 22 mag ammunition .
    Palmetto state armory has some on special today .

Good luck

DD
    OH Boy.....did you try plugging it in ?

Kickstand

Comment

I did check it out, but it was still $0.30 a round, plus shipping. I now have some, so I can be a bit more picky on pricing.
      Thanks for the heads up.
      Defund the Media !!

Comment

Kick,
        What are you after? I have a good bit, and the only gun I had that shot it was stolen. Maybe we can make a deal if you need some. I know it is legal to ship, just a PITA sometimes.

If you are shooting it out of a rotary mag 22 by Ruger, I have a couple of those I could send you as well.
        Last edited by redman2006; 03-18-2015, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by redman2006 View Post
          Kick,
          What are you after? I have a good bit, and the only gun I had that shot it was stolen. Maybe we can make a deal if you need some. I know it is legal to ship, just a PITA sometimes.

If you are shooting it out of a rotary mag 22 by Ruger, I have a couple of those I could send you as well.
          Redman ,sorry for your loss ,10 22 mag is no longer made ,and who ever took you gun @#/!*& them .

They quit making those , because many 22 mag and 17HMR auto loaders had blow back issues .
          Remington 597 22mag was recalled ,it would blow the magazine out .

DD
          OH Boy.....did you try plugging it in ?

Comment

Dd, it was my father's bolt action 22 mag. I don't remember the designation. It used the same rotary mag as the other semiautomatic.

I have enough 22 mag to make it worth picking up a rifle, but I just never really used it much. 22lr or jumping to a center fire was my preference.

There were two guns that were stolen that can not be replaced for sentimental reasons. They wiped out everything but my carry piece that day. A couple were very unique, so they may show up yet.

I have a few thoughts surrounding that theft which are better not discussed on an open forum. It did teach me a lot, including how vulnerable our home really is when we are away and how damned little the cops care around here.

I also learned to watch the fine print in your homeowner's policy.

A safe made it easier for the thieves. It kept everything of importance in one nice pile for the bastards. I learned from my mistakes with the safe too. Be sure your safe is bolted down. A quality safe and that it is tucked somewhere that they can not get a large pry bar to the lock side and any room to pry.

Anyway, I have a pile of 22 mag I have no use for. I really am not sure if it best to sell it off or buy a rifle.

Comment

The answer is ALWAYS "buy a gun", whether it's a rifle or something like the Kel-Tec PMR30, a semiauto pistol that holds 30 round mags. Then you can be like the rest of us and be continually searching for proper food to feed these kids.
              Defund the Media !!

Comment

Anybody here have a Kel Tec ?? Been looking at that for awhile but not sure I could get my hand wrapped around that grip. 30 shells is a lot of shells - even if they are 22.

Comment

Just,
                  I shot one and enjoyed it, but the 22 mag from a short barrel is barely better than a 22lr. Compare the ballistics for the two from similar length barrels. It does have a heavier slug in its favor, but that is a lot of extra blast and flash for not much of a gain in ballistics. There is supposed to be some pistol specific ammo coming out for it. That may help make some gains with the short barrel. It may already be out by now.

For me, the extra muzzle blast and cost of ammo for a slight gain does not warrant shooting 22 mag from a handgun.

Tex can call me a pussy if he wants (lol), but I like my hearing, so shooting it for a game getter or varmints or whatever without hearing protection is not a good idea. I honestly feel like my 9 or hand load 38+p has less blast than that did. It may just have been it was a sharper crack if that makes sense.

The one I shot did not have extraction issues, but I have heard that can be a problem in them.

Anyway, not an owner of one, but we put about 200 rounds through it that day. The pistol itself was typical keltec; reliable and fairly unrefined. It felt really good in the hand, but a few minor improvements would have made it fabulous.

Just my thoughts and worth exactly what you paid for them.

Comment

We recently picked one up. I have short, fat hands, and it is a pleasure for me to fire. It is accurate and easy to come back onto target for follow-up shots. S, my wife, really enjoys shooting it, but I do have to say that we just don't shoot without hearing protection. This is our first, and at this time only, venture into the .22WMR caliber.

The main downside of this weapon is the price and availability of ammo. For me at least, it's a double-edged sword. I really didn't want yet another caliber that I had to get dies, conversion kit, powder and bullets for, then spend a lot more time/effort/money working up a good load for it. With that being said, it hurts me to pay over $0.20 a round, usually more like $0.30-0.40 a round, for ammo, especially since I don't live near any of the major stores like Cabelas, etc to be able to get it sent to the store for free shipping, so that really adds to the "per round" cost. None of the local stores have had any ammo for this critter in months.
                    Defund the Media !!

Comment

Originally posted by Jstwaiting View Post
                      Anybody here have a Kel Tec ?? Been looking at that for awhile but not sure I could get my hand wrapped around that grip. 30 shells is a lot of shells - even if they are 22.
                      30 is a lot??? Not around here. when I take people out shooting I lay out magazines with the cost of the ammo in it on a piece of tape. When someone wants to run through 3-30 rnd mags rapid fire, i say have at it as long as you put money in the kitty to cover it. Its always easy to shoot up someone elses ammo when its not costing you anything.

On the gun theft thing, i have the NRA insurance that I bought when I went up to Denver/Tex with AA and UN. I flew into/out of Denver and had 3 handguns and 3 rifles. Its not that expensive amd you dont have the "schedule" the weapons unless any one is in excess of $2500.

With a NRA membership you get $2500 of coverage. Even with my lifetime membership its still $2500 of free coverage.....not nearly enough.

Comment

I have never shot a KelTec 22mag, but I do own a KelTec P11 9mm. If I could find a sucker, that thing would be gone. I'm not a fan of them at all. That is strictly my opinion though and I am basing that opinion completely on this one pistol. Redman brought up some very good points and I am inclined to agree with him. A goood while back I asked about the 22 mag compared to other rimfire calibers and AD posted a graph that did a good job of explaining the balistics of the mag, 22 LR and the 17 HMR. The 17 was superior by quite a bit and the 22 mag was only marginally better than the LR when coming from a rifle. Coming out of a short barrel pistol, I can't imagine there being any noticeable difference between the mag and LR. Strictly my uneducated opinion though.

I have to agree with Kickstand here too, though. Since you have the ammo, use that as an excuse to buy a new gun. Myself though, I would probably go with a rifle, but that is just me. If I were dead set on a pistol though, a Ruger Single Six would be my #1 choice. They come with cylinders for both 22 LR and 22 mag. They are one of the best 22 caliber pistols on the market, I think.

Good luck on your search and decision.

Tex
                        = 2
                        sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

Then there's always this....

NAA22Mag.jpg

My former boss has one of these, and it's always in his pocket. At the time of this story, he was in his late 60's. A few years back, he and his wife were pulling a pretty heavy trailer through the badlands of NM, when just as he topped over a hill, he suddenly had a tire blow out, out in the middle of nowhere, quite a few miles from anything that could be described as a "town".

As he walked around the back of the trailer to find what had happened, four guys came out of a nearby ditch, and offered to assist in changing the tire, which was politely refused. One of the 4 guys then told him "You didn't understand...we're going to help change your tire, then you're going to give us a ride into town". Boss then pulled this little beauty from his pocket and informed them that wasn't going to happen. They all started laughing and commenting about how it was a toy and that he wasn't going to do anything other than accept his plight. He promptly fired one shot into a dirt bank, and informed the 4 helpful gentlemen that he did have 4 rounds left, and that they were to sit down while he changed his tire. He then had his wife get out and keep on eye on them as he changed his tire.

They soon had a tire back on the trailer, picked up the scrap metal that had been placed in the road to cause a blow out, and were on their way with no further incident. I believe that the extra sharp "crack" of the .22Mag may have had some influence on how obedient these fine, helpful fellows became.
                          Defund the Media !!

Comment

Tex

I have the Ruger with both cylinders. I believe its got an 11 inch barrel.

Comment

Even if you don't like the .22Mag gun, having some ammo would REALLY increase its trade value.
                              Defund the Media !!

Comment

Working...
                              X