H5N2 Avian flu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H5N2 Avian flu

Grrrrrrr. This may prevent me from finally getting my backyard flock of layers this year.

Early this morning, the local paper had a story regarding the creation of quarantine zones in SE KS by the state Dept of Ag in an effort to prevent the spread of H5N2 Avian flu from a confirmed case in a bordering MO town.

Unfortunately, they just posted an additional story of a confirmed case in NE KS (almost 150 miles NNW) in a backyard flock consisting of chickens and ducks.

Gee, guess it's pretty hard to quarantine an outbreak when the main carriers are WILD birds. But yes, I do understand the need for biosecurity measures.
    Last edited by Gwynmael; 03-13-2015, 11:02 PM.
    Pastemistress. Now aka Mimi

So, what you're saying is that it's DMH's fault?
    Defund the Media !!

Comment

No, it's dem rayciss Ferguson cops!
      quam minimum credula postero

Comment

We had better hope this is contained. Several years ago, there was a bird flu scare where we learned that the USCA and CDC had plans to sweep the country side finding every bird including chicken, ducks, geese, parrots, canaries........ Everything and kill it to stop the spread.

We have pet geese and our exotic animal vet warned us.

There are vaccines available but TPTB would rather use the heavy handed method.

Comment

No kick, she's way on the other side of that state.

The original reported case is in the regional area of a hatchery I was strongly considering ordering from. While they're well outside the initial quarantine zone, they're well within the distance evidenced by the second confirmed case. Not that those two cases are directly linked to each other, but it does show how far apart the initial popup cases can be.

Something that buzzed my tin foil about it - the state Dept of Ag is pushing for registration/reporting of backyard flocks. They've wanted this for years, but having the second case be a backyard flock (the inference I got is the MO case is a farm) gives them more "ooomph". On one hand I understand their desire for the info so they can best do their jobs in order to notify/monitor flock owners in an affected area or if they have to initiate a mandatory containment cull. On the other hand, I remember some of the horror stories of sheep farmers having to cull all their animals due to an outbreak of Hoof and Mouth a couple of years ago, even though all their animals were confirmed negative for the disease. I can also see the long, slippery slope of it leading to taxation/confiscation. And I know that if I can see it, it's already in somebody's long-term playbook somewhere.
          Pastemistress. Now aka Mimi

Comment

It can be spread via misquito bite also. That is one of the ways they were to help control the spread. Its been in the high 80's here for several weeks and will be in the 90's this weekend, so those buggers will be back soon.

I asked my vet what would be the symptoms of the bird flu in a bird. His answer was "DEAD,"

A few weeks later we found a grackle on a limb in the pine tree in the backyard. It was sitting on a limb. Looked asleep. It was stone cold DEAD, feet locked on the limb(happens automaticly when a bird sits, their feet lock to the branch).

Comment

Working...
            X