Dying a Kelty Pack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dying a Kelty Pack

I have an older Kelty Super Cirque pack. I have had it since new in the 80's. It is still in reasonable condition, but I do need some new pack staps and a hip belt. They are not available through Kelty any longer, so I need a suggestion on a replacement if anyone knows.

THe other thing that I would like to do is dye it a more neutral color. It is a bright blue, red and "purple" now. Does anyone have any ideas on how to do this? I was not sure if RIT dyes would work on the Cordura. My thought is to turn it into a bug out bag or a bushcrafting type pack over my internal frame that I use for true backpacking.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

EDIT: I am still considering an ILBE or ALICE for this as well. I just don't want to shell out the $ for one of those right now.

This is the pack I have and want to dye, but mine has faded out pretty badly. Mine also has the extension above the pack bag.

Here are some hip belts. They will probably have shoulder straps too

No dye will work on the nylon. Paint is your best bet.

Keep an eye on Craigslist and backpage for good packs cheap

NW Georgia

Comment

My problem is that the connections are different on this pack. Even the Tioga and other pack belts by Kelty will not work on it.

They only made the pack for a few years, then went back to the old style frames. If I was better at injecting thread, I might think about adapting a belt.

As to the dye, well, CRAP!

I may have to get a different pack all together if I can't figure out how to make this one work. The foam is just completely collapsed in the belt, so it is not at all comfortable to carry any longer.

The shoulder straps I can replace.

Comment

You can have the belt rebuilt. Pick up foam and take it to a shoe shop that has a leather sewing machine(read heavy duty) and let them sew it up for a few bucks. I have had custom camera straps made at a local shoe repair shop and they hold up well.

Comment

I am going to give that a try. I still wart to find a way to change the color.

Comment

Paint! Or just sew up a rain fly cover out of any color you want.

Comment

I have a rain cover in tan for it, I guess I could just use that. Man, the 80's were a bad time for colors.

Comment

As an aside, I stopped using rain covers and started using a pack liner. Much easier, quieter, more water proof, and it does not get torn up like the covers do. I have one that fills in inside of my internal frame perfectly. Sea to summit or some such similar company is who I started using.

Comment

STOP THE PRESSES!!!!!

I was wrong! Hard to believe I know.
                  A collection of thoughts, ideas, advice, and whatever else catches my attention.

Comment

Very nice. It can not look any worse than it does now. I will give it a shot. Maybe a project for the weekend..... when the wife is away and does not see me using the stock pot.

The lining of my pack has flaked off, so I am going to run it through the wash first with the RIT color remover and then try this.

Thanks!

Oh yeah, brand new washer, better not ell her about that either. <G>

Comment

They mention the the padding can soak up and transfer afterwards. So you may want to remove the padding amd the hip and shoulder straps.

Comment

Working...
                      X