Found this website today.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found this website today.

Ive been looking at getting an ILBE Pack and in my research found this website http://ilbepack.com/ All about the USMC ILBE pack. Thought Id share incase others where interested in getting more info on this pack.

Enjoy!

Who here has and uses one of these packs?
    Do you like it?

SHTF, what kind of pack do you use on your treks to the mountains?

Tex
    = 2
    sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

The sustainment is too small, except a vehicle go bag. I sent one to somebody, Gena maybe.

The larger pack set is decent, I sent one to someone else, on the board, reddawnspokane I think.

Comment

You sent me one, Un. It was the small one, I believe.

Tex
        = 2
        sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

Ok, I remember now, the bigger ones are quite a bit nicer, though, I opted with something a bit more advanced than the ILBE, that puts the weight on the hips rather than the back. While the pack is a great value, I needed something more. You can often find these packs on surplus sites, the thing to pay attention to when you order it, is that it is complete, with the top bag, the waist belt, etc.

If someone is looking for other options, and willing to spend a bit more (quite a bit) Have a look at these, or keep your eye on armslist / craigslist, they turn up regularly.

I sent DMH a Blackhawk Hydration pack, which has a good capacity and features on a reasonable budget, she and her husband love it. It even comes with a 100oz hydration pack, that's extra with most packs. http://www.opticsplanet.com/blackhaw...tion-pack.html

Additional, and progressively more expensive packs

Innovative and patented outdoor gear designs from a veteran and Olympian with unrivaled versatility and durability. Eberlestock modular systems are built for the dedicated outdoorsman, the tactical operator, and the shooting enthusiast. Get Out There •••

Last edited by unseenone; 01-28-2015, 08:41 PM.

Comment

I've got one, it probably needs adjusted but I had hard time getting loaded so it would ride even.
            I'm drunk tonith.

Comment

Originally posted by Tex View Post
              Who here has and uses one of these packs?
              Do you like it?

SHTF, what kind of pack do you use on your treks to the mountains?

Tex
              Tex Ive used many and own many packs. I currently use an Exo Mountain Gear 3500 http://exomountaingear.com/shop/ I also have owned and still own many Kifaru Packs. MMR, Timberline 2, Most of their miltary line packs Xing, Marauder, Scout, and others. Ive also owned a few Mystery Ranch Packs, Also I own a Hill People Gear Highlander backpack. That is a smaller pack for day hikes. Im a huge gear head. I sometimes feel I need a 12 step program for high end hunting/backpacking gear. =) Im wanting to try out the ILBE as an cheap alternative to store in my truck as a get home back. Kind of like Morgan has. My thought process is these are so cheap that if someone breaks into my truck and steals it then Im only out 100$ plus the pack contents. Which will also be lower value stuff. Where as if I have a Kifaru 600$ pack stolen it would hurt a lot more =-). I may throw some sort of lock cabinet into my truck and screw it to the inside of the truck so it would make it really difficult on a thief to get into it. Still kicking around ideas.

Comment

Yes, UN you sent me a really cool bag. I think it is a 3 day pack. I love it. Took it on vacation with me this past October.
                I'm a ding bat & AA groupie

Comment

I think you would find that the pack will be an excellent alternative in that case SHTFCO

Comment

https://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/...?f=14&t=102898 IM working on Modding this like in that post. The ILBE is a great pack its actually patterned after the Arcteryx Bora. Only thing about it though is its a strap nightmare. So trimming it down to just what I need is definitely a good thing. Also going to throw an aftermarket Hill people Gear belt on it to increase comfort.

Will post some photos when Im done with it Before/After. It will look similar to whats in that post much cleaner and not complicated.

Comment

Got the ILBE all setup. Ended up hacking off some stuff that just wasnt neccessary for my needs. dropped the pack weight by about a pound and a half. This thing is comfortable. Here are some photos of the work I did.

Here is the pack before I started hacking on it. This pack comes in at close to 10 lbs alone. Definitely alot of stuff not needed for this thing for civilian use. The ILBE is designed so you can piggyback the smaller daypack to it but I will never do that so all of that hardware got hacked off. Also its designed to carry mortars so I took off that stuff.

Before

After

Here is the Pile of goodies that came off. Will save this stuff for other modifications

The ILBE standard Belt is subpar at best so I snagged my Hill people Gear Belt and put it on the pack. Went on like it was made for it.

for 100$ you can find these in like new condition. I highly recommend grabbing one. And if you are really wanting a comfortable pack that can haul some weight grab the Hill People Gear belt. The belt runs about 95$

The ILBE is made of 1000d Cordura its a hefty pack that can take a beating but also carries very nicely. Super happy with this thing. The Camo is growing on me also =-)
                      Last edited by SHTFCO; 02-13-2015, 12:35 AM.

Comment

I have the ilbe bag and love it.. holds way more than I'd want to carry for an extended period of time... You have to adjust it properly to carry it loaded comfortably.. fortunately my brother is a marine and helped me dial it in.. for short money it will do the job..

Comment

When choosing packs Bob or ghb what do you look at? I am curious if this would work any better than an Alice or for that matter what it brings to the table over any backpacker's bag.

Comment

Military gear is notoriously tough. I sent one of these to someone here on the forum, and they liked it.

I chose a bag specifically designed to put the weight on the hips and off your back, which is good because it keeps getting heavier. The above bag has an internal frame and is a few generations newer design, think trial and error on our troops than the old Alice packs.

It seems like most high end backpacking packs might be good, but the material is not designed for the beating and types of gear military bags deal with. That means the BP packs are lighter, but will not hold up, lets say, when TSHF and you can't order a replacement.

I definitely feel that an internal frame or external frame pack makes a big difference in the long term.

Comment

UN,
                              I picked up a bag that I thought was supposed to be official military surplus. It was not. Just using it as my daily bag for work, it is nearly shot after less than a year. How do you tell for certain that you are getting the real deal? At the price I paid, it should have been the real thing.

I think I would like one of the 3 day bags. I just don't want another knockoff that falls apart.

Comment

Working...
                              X