Spent the summer in the Winds.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spent the summer in the Winds.

FISHING!!!! Been gone for a bit folks and forgot my password(Thank you Tex)but I'm back.
    Just so you all know? I quit my job last may and headed for the Wyoming high country with nothing but my pack and lots of fishing gear. Had the adventure of a lifetime. I'll try to post some photos and gear reviews here soon.

Wyldman out.

This is the "Escape Babylon Enter Zion" pack at somewhere just above 9,000 feet near an "Unspecified" lake.

Comment

Myself with the "Yogimatic".

Comment

Me again from above 11,000 feet more than 4 days from any sort of civilization.

Comment

If we kiss his ass enough we may just be able to convince Tex to get this sort of effort for us this next summer.

Comment

Did I mention that I caught a lot of fish?

Comment

You suck!!!!!

You probably killed that cute little fishy didn't you?? Murder!

Did it taste good?

What kind of trout? Almost looks brookie but no orange

Comment

This is a big golden trout. They are absolutely, no contest, the single finest eating fish on the PLANET!!!
                They're better than salmon or walleye.

Comment

Moar!

Comment

Very nice pictures, Ski. I'm looking forward to the gear lists and reviews. As you know, I have alot of stuff to buy before this coming summer and I only want to buy once.

Besides fish, what did you do for food? I know in your home range you have some food cached and I think you even did a thread about it. We talked about it a little bit while you were here the other day, but we didn't delve too deep into the subject. How much weight, percentage wise, did food take up in your pack? What sorts of things did you take to eat?

Thanks for posting the pictures. You can post videos here too, if you want to show some of the ones you took.

Tex
                    = 2
                    sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

Inquiring minds want to know.....

Comment

Yes indeed

Comment

Gorgeous location!! Did you go alone, or did you have company to assist with the pictures?

Comment

How was Coyote lake? Do any prospecting?
                            You're still walking free. Enjoy it while you can.
                            Homesite: http://millenniummangear.com
                            Twitter: https://twitter.com/millenniumgear

Comment

No prospecting as this part of Wyoming has never really produced any gold like the eastern Bighorn mountains. The first fish picture was shot at Green River Lakes about 45 miles north of Pinedale on the western slope of the Wind River mountains just south of Yellowstone. The fish in my hand is a lake trout. They are called mackinaw in their native habitat back east. They were introduced here quite some time ago. They are good eating and indeed, I pretty much lived on fish up there.
                              I'll see if I can find the brook trout photos today.
                              I like to keep my pack somewhere less than 40 pounds. Usually what I take for a couple weeks up there food wise is near 8 pounds. Oatmeal, raw nuts, dried fruit, powdered eggs, instant coffee, stuff like that. I have a flask full of olive oil, a complex B vitamin along with fish oil capsules, a multi vitamin, and some pedialyte electrolyte supplement.
                              Humping a ruck up there at extended elevations in some really rugged terrain counts as a serious enduro sport. My own metabolism does best with good nutrition.
                              All my clothing is synthetic. No cotton, wool or silk. To heavy, waaay to difficult to launder and to dry out.
                              All my gear and clothing is green with a little bit of other earth tones. I even subdued my climbing gear with the same dura coat most people use on their firearms.
                              The "Yogimatic" is a left hand, long action Savage 300 Winchester Magnum. I usually keep it loaded with the 220 grain Nosler @ about 2,800 feet per second. Anything I hafta shoot with it is gonna STAY shot!!!
                              Lemme see if I can find some of the more interesting photos. I took all of them myself with a Nikon Coolpix. It has a timer so it was easy to do a lot of photography.
                              I had a tremendous amount of fun and plan to do a repeat this summer with my son, the "Wyldboy".
                              Any of you here are welcome to join me.

Comment

Working...
                              X