PDA

View Full Version : A New Year, A New Farm

southernmom
12-18-2014, 08:02 AM
I figure I will start my new thread now. When we actually name the place I will see about changing the thread name if that is ok. :)

SO we toured the new farm and it will be just right for us. It's only 5 acres, but it's 5 GOOD acres. SOme citrus trees, a fig tree, Two little fields are fenced-one for animals, (with 2 separate animal sections-sheep section and hog section) and a little space that has been farmed in the past and it is just the right size for us to grow plenty to put up for the year and eat during the season. There are 3 wells-one for drinking, one for irrigation and one with a hand pump. (woohoo!) Lots of beautiful oaks, set back in a wooded area away from a main road, people mind their own business but are friendly. We move in around Jan 27th so you can imagine how busy I am packing right now!

The house is from the 20's and it's adorable, with plenty of room for us. The kitchen is PHENOMENAL and really, my dream kitchen. There is a small dining room that we have to finish up (nail up some beadboard and paint) and the living room has a beautiful stone fireplace.

Animals come with, so we have 4 sheep (2 big boys, a mama and baby) 2 hogs, handful of chickens in a cute little pen.
I am seriously considering a couple nubian milk goats-but I need to fortify the hog wire sheep pen a little better. I could just get an older milk cow. I'm pondering that. Any suggestions on how to fix the hog wire so crafty goats can't escape? I'd like to avoid electric.

Also taking suggestions on farm names. I really like 'Feast or Famine Farms' cause that is our life, but don't wanna jinx us!

That's my update!

DMH
12-18-2014, 08:29 AM
Oh SM it sounds like a dream come true. You have been through the fire to get this. Well deserved! Very happy for you and can't wait for your updates.

Blessings Farm
Possible Dreams

southernmom
12-18-2014, 09:54 AM
Got a Name! Ghost Town Farms.

The little town we are moving to is technically a Ghost Town and the place I come from is technically a Ghost Town. So there ya go. Ghost Town Farms. :)

Betty Buckshot
12-18-2014, 10:19 AM
ha ha ha, fencing goats in...who ever heard of such a silly notion :nerner:

Congrats on your farm, good luck

roach2654
12-18-2014, 07:20 PM
Good luck on the new place !!

Concerned Dad
12-18-2014, 07:54 PM
Sounds truly awesome!

DMH
12-18-2014, 09:06 PM
I like the name SM.

W.Lynn
12-19-2014, 12:20 AM
Could move the S, Ghost Towns Farm?

george7100
12-19-2014, 04:35 PM
Southernmom,check with tractor supply,you can get sections of fencing there. Just check and see what kind you want,maybe a good choice,I know they got all kinds for goats ,hogs,cows,or horses also. congrats on the farm,makes me jealous, good luck,G

W.Lynn
12-19-2014, 05:06 PM
Also check craigslist and freecycle, see if what you need is available for pocket change, or for hauling it off.

nichevo
12-20-2014, 07:49 PM
You put up a fence and the goats consider that a "double dare you"! So happy you found the perfect place after all you've been through. You deserve it!

reddawnspokane
12-20-2014, 09:00 PM
Need moar pictures. Congrats SM

Rockntoy
12-20-2014, 09:22 PM
That is awsome. Would love to find a place like that. Congrats and moar pictures.

Patriotmuso
12-21-2014, 08:13 PM
Very cool SM...... Congrats!!

southernmom
12-22-2014, 08:11 AM
I feel so loved :) :)

I will post pics when we actually get moved in, right now I am packing this place, sorting, and going crazy with planning Christmas. Will keep this updated!!!

reddawnspokane
12-27-2014, 06:35 PM
Is the new place in FL?

southernmom
12-28-2014, 09:13 AM
Is the new place in FL?

Yep, not too far from where we are now.

southernmom
12-28-2014, 09:26 AM
I was sick as a dang dog at Christmas-funny thing is, last time I was this sick was 18 years ago...at Christmas. Ugh. But I am feeling more human, now. I don't do being sick well. I get personally offended when I'm ill.

I am thinking nigerian dairy goats. The little ones. I think they would give us enough milk to do something with but not be overwhelmed, and make my cheese making mistakes and all...and they are pretty entertaining and I am thinking I might have a better chance keeping them contained as they are a little bit smaller. (wishful thinking). Anyway...that's my plan on the dairy animal front until I find the perfect milk cow.

I'm also trying to figure out the best way to get that pasture plowed and ready to plant-I can't afford a tractor and even using a rear tine tiller would take a gazillion years to get it plowed and ready to plant. It IS doable, I have done large gardens by hand before and while it took forever, it did get done and nicely...but dang it takes a lot of time. I think I will start asking around to see if I can hire somebody to plow it for me.

southernmom
01-31-2015, 07:00 AM
We're moved in!
It's been a crazy move but we are finally here. Maybe now I can chill out and spend more time online here. :) I miss everyone and hate doing this 'driveby' update then disappearing.
But yeah, we have moved in, still unpacking, but love it! We are doing some minor repairs as the house is from the 1920's and I want to continue the original owner's intention of restoring it to more of the original look. So we are are doing beadboard to match the kitchen (when I get this place clean I am taking pics, the kitchen is amazing) and plank boards for the living room, and little dining room, etc.
Anyway we are home now!

AD
01-31-2015, 11:58 AM
Welcome back

DMH
01-31-2015, 10:35 PM
That is great. So nice to see some good news and have you back.

southernmom
05-16-2015, 10:30 AM
Well Tex drug me out of my self imposed exile...I mean I have been super busy rennovating this lovely old farmhouse and planting every sort of strange edible I can get my hands on. I will be posting some pictures and updating so stay tuned. :)

southernmom
05-16-2015, 11:16 AM
Welcome to Ghost Town Farm!

Okay here is the house: it's actually in great shape-new roof, new electric, fabulous old country farmhouse kitchen completely renovated and HUGE which is a godsend-for us the kitchen truly is the gathering place. We did have to rennovate the old dining area-it's a small little strip of a room. We put some paneling and some beadboard in there and now it's pretty nice. It's just being used as an impromptu bedroom for some friends who are visiting. (two adults and their toddler twin boys. I thought I knew what chaos was. I didn't. til now.) We also had to re do a bedroom for one of the boys-which is getting finished today, thankfully.

We have a bunch of old live oaks around here-they shade the place so nice that it stays cool and catches the breeze which is wonderful. More to come.

southernmom
05-16-2015, 11:25 AM
So I got to work on gardens literally the day I had most of the place unpacked. We had a lot of work to do-a lot of weeds, a lot of neglect. We also had to take down the hoop coop from my grandmother's place and rebuild it here. I got some chicks and now they are all grown and happy. I only lost 2, which was surprising.

We also have a chicken tractor built out of chicken wire and pvc-we just throw a few chickens under there and move it around the yard. I can't let the chickens freerange here cause we are further in the woods and there are all kinds of critters out here that will swoop down in the middle of the day and nab a tasty chicken treat. :)

Oh, here's a piney wood rooter we inherited, She needs a boyfriend:

southernmom
05-16-2015, 11:47 AM
So the first garden area I got going was for taters and green beans. I planted red taters cause regular taters just don't do as well here. I got a good bit pulled up and still have a couple rows left. THe green beans were outrageously great! Seriously the best I have ever grown. This area was once known for heavy agricultural production so I guess the soil is still ok. Green beans:

and here's some tomatoes and tomatillos and hot peppers and such my other half and my son were picking today:

The yellow squash and tomatoes have done well-teh zuchinni failed miserably due to a raging bout of vine borer. I have some more zuchinni put in and also have some seminole pumpkin that I am keeping an eye on...I'm really excited about those.
So here's a picture of some 'maters and squash and some of the gallons of green beans we picked, ate, shared and put up:

southernmom
05-16-2015, 11:53 AM
...and of course I have some peas planted. I went to the farm store to get zippers (which is my absolute favorite) and lo and behold there was a colossal crop failure of zipper peas last year. No seed. SOOOOO luckily I had some seed left over in the freezer and I promptly planted that-about 75% came up which was better than none. I also planted black eyes and pink eye purple hull and that hardly came up at all-and that is 'new' seed I bought this year. I checked with some local farmers and sure enough they had to replant 3 times to get anything to come up. We are all of a mind that there was also a colossal failure of those and companies are selling old seed. It concerns me, to be sure.
So I bought some cream40 and some more black eyes and got some black eyes in the ground. So far about 80% is coming up. I will plant some cream40 in another week or so.
My okra is looking wimpy so I am pouring the compost to it.
I will update more, just thought I would let yall know I haven't fallen off the face of the earth!

DMH
05-16-2015, 09:27 PM
Thanks for the update. Glad to see things are moving in a positive direction for you.

reddawnspokane
05-16-2015, 09:36 PM
The place is looking good SM.

W.Lynn
05-16-2015, 09:44 PM
What are your temperatures like? I can't get okra to do much til it gets blazing hot outside.

southernmom
05-17-2015, 04:45 PM
What are your temperatures like? I can't get okra to do much til it gets blazing hot outside.

It's been 88-92 lately. The rains haven't been as regular so that's probably part of it, too.

I am concerned about the peas, though-can't get conks either so I don't know what's up. I think this is the sort of thing that a lot of 'I got my seedbank and I'll plant when things get rough out there' people don't understand. Sometimes seed just doesn't come up, no matter what. It's good to have variety. Also, good to plant a LOT of it. I've got all sorts of little pea patches going on right now-empty sandy spot, toss a handful of last years seed and see what comes up. It's sort of my way of testing the soil out in different places, and doing some nitrogen fixing in the process!

southernmom
05-17-2015, 04:57 PM
So another project we have going on are fruit trees. I have been doing a lot of reading re: food forests and permaculture and having food growing that doesn't necessarily LOOK like food at first glance. I have a little bit of Jerusalem artichoke planted and a little cassava as well...stuff that I wouldn't necessarily eat every day but it's good to have. I also have a handful of moringa trees around that I started f-]\=]om seed-now those grow FAST and are touted as a great item to have around in starvation situations and they don't look like anything but a big ol tree.
We have about 4 established mulberry trees that have fruited GALLONS of berries. These trees are glorious wonders. I haven't had mulberries in years and eating them reminded me of many a spring sitting in my mulberry tree treehouse my grandfather built for me. It was in the middle of the field right at the well-and I'd sit up there and stuff myself and watch him tractor and plant for spring/early summer. It is a treat to have those trees here.
We also have a large fig tree, (my favorite fruit of all time) a large plum tree, pomegranate, and of course a half dozen various established citrus trees dotting the place.
So to add to the fruit we have planted: carambola (starfruit) two guavas, 3 more figs, mysore raspberry, 2 goji berries, 3 dragonfruit (they are just little cacti in the ground we will see what they do.) banana trees, papaya, and of course a persimmon. I've also got some clumping bamboo going, pigeon peas, comfrey, assorted annuals, some herbs, and a nice bed of sweet taters. etc.
Now instead of just planting these in perfect rows I have them sort of 'clumped in a little tighter grouping-enough to give them space but they will sort of all grow closely to make a little forest guild area. At their bases I have some pigeon peas and different herbs planted to help fix nitrogen and create a living forest, not just some trees hanging out all lonely.
I have so many other ideas and trees I am thinking about planting in order to create a seld sustaining little forest along with the annuals. I'm loving it here.

W.Lynn
05-18-2015, 09:34 AM
The trees sound awesome. I know starfruit, some of the others aren't familiar though. All fruit, no nuts?

southernmom
05-19-2015, 07:45 PM
The trees sound awesome. I know starfruit, some of the others aren't familiar though. All fruit, no nuts?

There is a pecan tree here that seems to have escaped the yearly webworm pecanopocalypse that seems to happen here in FL every spring/summer. So I'm gonna start babying it. (web worms are these worms that build huge cocoon webs that take over and dang near defoliate pecan trees here. And there's not much you can do other than cut them out)
I also am looking into chestnut trees-there is a variety that grows well. Also, while not a tree, we can grow peanuts.

southernmom
05-19-2015, 07:49 PM
Mysore raspberry is a fruiting bush that does great here in FL, and it's a good substitute for raspberry which doesn't grow well, here. Goji berry bushes have little berries that are full of antioxidants and dry well. Guavas and Persimmons are great trees-those are sort of semi tropical fruits. I plan on planting the old sand pear variety (or pound pear-hard pears that are large and round and are better for canning-I loved them growing up) and a few peaches.
There are so many bizarre fruits that grow here.

Tex
05-19-2015, 08:38 PM
There are so many bizarre fruits that grow here.

And the rest have moved there from somewhere up north.

Tex

Dode
05-19-2015, 08:46 PM
I've enjoyed reading your journal..... great stuff here!

dangerdan
05-19-2015, 11:29 PM
SM ..Happy for you ..

DD

southernmom
08-09-2015, 08:37 AM
UGH.
So I talk to a lot of gardeners/farmers-and this by far has been the weirdest year in terms of production. Plants are withering and dying due to pesticide contamination of hay or pesticide drift from neighboring fields for one. The blight/fungus on tomatoes and squash has been unreal. Peas have just refused to grow or just don't produce anything.-replanting has been common this year. I was so excited after we did so well in the spring with the green beans and potatoes...but after that it all just went to hell.
Now I know there are less productive years and years where blight or insects thrive and seem worse-but I'm telling you this has been from almost everyone I talk to from different areas, from south florida all the way to north florida a lot of gardeners are just bewildered. Sure, there are some who have done ok regardless but not near as many have succeeded with a garden this year as even the year before. I just hope my fall and winter garden does better.
So it has been such a disappointing year...but on the up side our fruit trees have been great. We had more mulberries than we knew what to do with. We had figs and little plums and the trees that aren't fruiting yet have grown like crazy. So that is good.
I planted a couple florida cranberry (thai roselle) and they are as big as the guava trees.
Not giving up yet!

Gwynmael
08-09-2015, 10:56 AM
Agreed!

dangerdan
08-10-2015, 05:01 PM
There is a spray for tomato fungus ( I don't remember the name)
You must be proactive with it ,spray before fungus attacks .
keep bottom of plants clear of branches and leaves .
Spray when dry .
do not burn or compost infected plants ,send to landfill as spores just fly away when burnt .

Good luck and google the anti fungal spray

DD

southernmom
08-25-2015, 08:38 AM
Thanks for the input :)
I have a friend who told me to sweeten the soil with a little lime and that discourages the fungus as well. We shall see-in the meantime I am trying some fall tomatoes in some containers.
I put some green beans, turnips, beets, collards, kale, mustard and carrots in the ground this past weekend. We thought we would try the front yard area with some square foot beds to see how they act. The herbs and fruit tree I have there are doing great with no sign of problems so we shall see.
I also meandered out and took a gander at the seminole pumpkin patch-they are now flowering which is awesome. I also have some sweet taters to dig. I am feeling a bit more upbeat about it all.
Anyone else getting ready to fall garden?

southernmom
08-28-2015, 03:50 PM
I got little seedlings coming up!
Here's to hoping I can get those beets to grow. Never had a lot of luck with those. The turnips and radishes are all kinds of gorgeous. *skips off happily*

southernmom
01-05-2016, 09:34 AM
Yet another update! Seems that we are destined to do well with chickens. We have a hoop coop but like to let the flock of about 25 (plus 2 bastard roosters) roam and free range during the day. They do really well this way and it cuts down on feed cost a little.
We get enough eggs to share with 2 other families as well which is awesome.
I do have a cool little chicken story. Got up on thanksgiving morning and meandered into the kitchen to start coffee when I hear my husband yell from the back porch to 'come here quick!' I run outside thinking the worst but nope....there was our best hen strutting around showing off 15 adorable day old chicks!!! She hadnt been around for a few weeks and had assumed the worst but nope...she was just hatching some babies! They are pretty big now and they free range along with the rest.

southernmom
01-05-2016, 09:53 AM
Here is mama and her babies. OUt of 15, 13 survived. The cat got 2 of them. To keep them safe when hey were this small we secured them in a real simple pvc framed rectangle chicken tractor with mama hen. As I said, they roam now but wow is she a mighty protective mama!!! I will say that with all this free ranging we don't have any ticks or fleas or bugs in the yard! Our two silly dogs are flea free as well. A miracle in Florida. Usually they thrive in the sand.

southernmom
01-05-2016, 10:10 AM
As far as plants and such we have some greens growing and I tried my hand at asparagus beans (super long green beans) and they are pretty easy. We found some wild chayote growing all over the branch of an oak tree outside which seems to have been there for quite some time. So I didn't grow a super big fall garden but did experiment a little and threw some seeds in the ground for greens that have turned out pretty ok.
I have also been crafting a lot more-did some quilting, tunisian crochet, and just recently had the husband build me a huge 8 ft triloom that I had to drill over 600 tiny little holes and tap finishing nails into and hopefully today get it hung on the wall to play around with. I also got my hands on a very large drinking horn that i need to finish to make it safe to drink from. It was a great price so the scandinavian in me was pretty pleased all around!
Pics: first is the husband with the loom, then up close of nail spacing

Dode
01-05-2016, 12:00 PM
Congrats on the chicks! I am very excited to see what happens with your new loom. Please keep us posted. Btw, how about a pic of the drinking horn. I'm not sure what that is.

Glad to see I'm not the only one to make projects in the Den. :)

southernmom
01-05-2016, 01:14 PM
Thanks! Here is the drinking horn-I will seal the inside to make it drinking safe.

Dode
01-05-2016, 06:59 PM
Omg.... that thing is huge! I don't know a thing about them... how do you seal it for drinking?

Tex
01-05-2016, 08:08 PM
I didn't know you were married to Spiderman. That's awesome, but who is the big homely guy standing behind him holding the wooden thing?

I'm glad you came in and gave us an update. Those hens will sure surprise you sometimes, won't they? We had a couple that hatched out a bunch of chicks way late and now we have some small ones running around. I'm glad to hear all is going well.

Tex

southernmom
01-05-2016, 09:29 PM
Tex, I just KNEW someone was going to make a spiderman comment :) I've got 4 boys in the house so there are superheroes and toy guns and swords everywhere. :)

Dode: I could seal it with beeswax or go with this liquid glass or food safe plastic stuff to seal it. I haven't done it yet but it is a pretty popular crafty thing out there-esp for the rendevous types. (We got this horn at a seminole war reenactment-only $15!) a lot of reenactors use them for pwder horns or cut them down as cups or even use them as just horns to make noise with. We use the little one you can see in the pic hanging on the fireplace for the occasional drink, and the large one is more for fun and show. :)

Tex
01-05-2016, 11:31 PM
Are you interested in doing some trading on the drinking horn?

Tex

Tex
01-06-2016, 09:31 AM
Southernmom, where did you get the horn? Is it off one the cows on the ranch, or did you buy it? I made a couple of hunting horns years ago, but I'm not sure I even remember how. One of them, I thinned the sides down on and it had alot better tone than the one I left alone.

Tex

hsehntr98
01-06-2016, 11:27 PM
Congrats on the new farm. I wish you luck and wish I had found something like what you did. Our new home sits on 3.9 acres, with about 1 1/2 acres up the mountain and wooded. Great for firewood, but not much else. My husband wants goats, but I'm not sure yet. I want to get my garden extended and planted, the chickens settled, and the pigs under control before I start any other animals.
Good luck and enjoy.
Mickey

southernmom
01-07-2016, 09:04 AM
Tex I got it at a war reenactment event-super cheap. They range between $5 and $15 each at those out here. The guy had a pile of them. THat's the cheapest place to get them is out at a rendevous(where adults dress up and act like it is 200 or 300 years ago) or war reenactment. I should have bought a bunch of them. I might have a guy who can get ahold of a few-a good buddy of my husband is into that stuff and many know a guy.

Thanks Mickey! Yeah I hae been wanting goats for years but not yet ready to deal with their precocious nature. Good luck on your farm!

AmericanBTGoG
01-07-2016, 04:28 PM
Southernmom - Brooksville Raid 1/16-17/16. I just wish they'd vary the ending once in a while.

southernmom
01-13-2016, 11:59 AM
Got some small looming done. Getting geared up to work onthebig one.

- - - Updated - - -

Got some small looming done. Getting geared up to work onthebig one.

southernmom
02-17-2016, 05:50 PM
Well I got 30lbs of taters in the ground (red pontiac) a couple lbs of green beans planted (I planted pole, 1/2 runner and bush) got seedlings for tomatoes and peppers, squash, cukes going. I am gonna start some seminole pumpkin seeds and who knows what else pretty soon.
And of course in a few weeks in go the black eyed peas and after that sweet taters.
I wrestled with whether or not to get a tiller but I think I am going to go with a broakfork, as it seems better to aerate deeper for better root growth and is in some cases, quicker. Also, if the shtf it will work just fine. :) I'm also gonna invest in a much better american made grubbing hoe-I am hell on gardening tools.

Here's the broadfork I want to get: https://meadowcreature.com/broadforks I'm going with the 'Tall' broadfork.

Here's where I am getting the grubbing hoes, etc. : http://www.easydigging.com/

And I have to say, with all the double dug beds we wind up digging-I need some decent tools.

Dode
02-20-2016, 12:48 AM
Here's the one I bought. I love the 20" wide fork and it works the ground w/o any problems.

http://www.gemplers.com/product/198648/Bully-Tools-Broadfork-fiberglass-handle?gclid=COau6bjQhcsCFQeraQod28QAGQ&sku=198648&CID=25SEPLA&ef_id=VqZvYQAAASxT47MT:20160220053948:s

I did 10" deep, but can go 12"
http://www.survivalistboards.com/picture.php?albumid=2663&pictureid=27671

http://www.survivalistboards.com/picture.php?albumid=2663&pictureid=27675

southernmom
02-20-2016, 09:00 AM
Nice! I keep hearing using one is a hell of a workout, is that true in your experience? I can't imagine it would be any harder than using a plain old hoe and spading fork to dig.
I also did a little shopping on ebay and bought some different seeds and cuttings to plant. Got some Jaboticaba seed-it's a tree that grows big round grape like fruit right off the trunk of the tree.
Also ordered some comfrey from Coe's Comfrey for the medicinals and compost and/or fodder-some cactus pads to plant (nopalea cochenillifera) yummy to eat and some medicinal properties and really nice looking...my mom has a few huge ones growing at the homeplace but I figure one of my kids will wind up running this little farm so I want to get some planted here.
Also got some ginger root to plant as well as turmeric...and finally tracked down the right kind of garlic to plant out here (lorz italian) but it's not time yet so I will wait a bit. I usually just throw a few in the ground from the feed store but the bulbing isn't so hot so I am actually going to attempt to do it right by paying attention to varieties, chilling hrs, etc.

And...heading to the feed store on sunday in town that has a nice heirloom variety of peas-and lo and behold they have zippers in. (that reminds me, I gotta get some okra planted).
Thanks for listening to the rambling! Hope yall got some seedlings started!

southernmom
02-20-2016, 09:04 AM
Jaboticaba:

Prickly Pear Cactus:

redman2006
02-20-2016, 09:55 AM
Those prickly pear fruits are good eating when they turn purple in the fall, about like a cross between plum and fig. They make great jelly too.

Tell me more about the first one. It looks like a Crepe myrtle with grapes stuck to the bark.

southernmom
02-20-2016, 01:00 PM
The jaboticaba is native to brazil but there are a lot in south florida so I hear-supposed to be big amongst the Latin population. They supposedly taste like a cross between a grape, plum and/or cherry. Very hardy in semitropical areas (such as where I live!) and they are supposed to make great jams. I have looked for a tree but didn't want to spend $60. So I bought some seeds from a guy who has a great rep as the strange seed guy and got 8 seeds for $6 shipping included. The seeds have to be damp and never dry out in order to germinate and they were good and soaked when I got them so I have faith they shall sprout....Now of course it will be nearly a decade before they fruit but I figure it is an interesting long term project.

I haven't actually had or made the prickly pear fruit jam-and I really oughta make some as my mom has a few plants that are loaded with the fruit. :) My plan is to make one metric shit ton of mulberry jam this season. I have enough for several log rollins when the trees get going!

tk
02-20-2016, 03:36 PM
That jabotica is cool. I envy your long growing seasons down there and of course your warm winters but I don't think I could stand your summers. What do you do with the prickly pear . Does that grow fruit or do you use the plant.

southernmom
02-20-2016, 04:33 PM
You can fry or boil or grill the pads (rake the spines off first). I have had the soup and do like it. The fruits you can eat or make into jam.

Yeah the summers here can be fierce. Nowadays almost everyone has central heat and air-but I didn't grow up with it at all and I don't recall being terribly miserable. OF course our home was under some large oaks, low lying and right up next to the pond. Just had to watch for gators.
The old timers built homes under oak canopies and with attention to how to catch a breeze in the house (high ceilings and dog trots for instance). They also managed their days in accordance with the heat-no heavy outside work in the sun during the peak heat of the day if you could at all help it. and drink a loooot of water!

I do see a lot of the new(er) homes in areas out from under oaks (insurance reasons maybe?-can't be under big trees cause of hurricanes, etc or perhaps fear of an unkempt lawn?) and built high up on hills and I can't help but think to myself how miserable that would be with the ac out or in a shtf situation.

Dode
02-20-2016, 09:55 PM
The jaboticaba tree is quite unique. What an amazing way for the fruit to grow.

I looked through my pics and found one where I had timed myself on working up a section of ground with the broadfork. It took me 5 minutes to work an 8 foot section. There's no way I could do it with a spade or garden fork. For one thing, I don't have to do any bending to get it done. Once the handles are pulled back far enough, I step on the handle to complete pushing the handles to the ground. Thenn, I use the top of the foot to bring the handle back up to my hand. This is done if you want to completely lift the soil from the ground; which is good to do if there is a lot of grass cover. Once a grass covered area is loosened this much, you can use a 'garden claw' to loosen the grass from the soil.

http://image.sportsmansguide.com/adimgs/l/1/134978_ts.jpg

Here's the 8' section that was worked with the broadfork. I only loosened the soil; I didn't turn it. If you want to remove clumps of grass, do this first, and then, the 'claw'..

http://www.survivalistboards.com/picture.php?albumid=2663&pictureid=27672

Dode
02-20-2016, 10:04 PM
I'm thinking that the broadfork is akin to plowing. After a plot is plowed (broadforked), it still has to be worked to remove grass and to break up the clumps. Maybe, those push type cultivators and discs would be a good idea to have.

southernmom
02-22-2016, 01:08 PM
Thank you Dode! I can't wait to get my new tools in!

Project for the day: We were lucky enough to stumble on 2 large heavy plastic pond liners that you bury and make an ornamental pond. Bought them super cheap from a friend so we are using the larger of the two in the duck area so they have a bigger and deeper pool to swim in.
The second, smaller one we are putting in the front and growing chinese water chestnuts. (yup just like the ones you get in the can at the grocery or in your asian food). They are good protein, and grow really fast-so I thought I would give them a try.

Also we are fencing in a big area of the yard around the coop for a more enclosed run. Pics forthcoming!

Tex
02-22-2016, 01:33 PM
What kind of toys do you have for the ducks to play with?

Tex

southernmom
02-22-2016, 01:44 PM
What kind of toys do you have for the ducks to play with?

Tex

Alas, none for I figure they are ducks and can entertain themselves :)

redman2006
02-22-2016, 02:15 PM
mine always have, by crapping on everything in sight and pulling up the garden. they were death on slugs and snails though

southernmom
02-22-2016, 02:54 PM

southernmom
02-22-2016, 02:56 PM
First pic is the husband setting posts-well, chopping through roots to set posts.
The second is Seth is the duckpen digging a hole for the new pond that is right in the foreground of the picture.

southernmom
02-22-2016, 04:39 PM
...and mostly finished! We have the pond buried and the filter going. Just gotta pretty it up! Easy project.

Dode
02-23-2016, 03:12 AM
That's great! Will you use the duck water for fertilization?

southernmom
02-23-2016, 09:06 AM
That's great! Will you use the duck water for fertilization?

most definitely! I hope the girls start laying soon, I do love duck eggs.

Dode
02-23-2016, 07:04 PM
I had a pair of Muscovy ducks long ago and she laid a dozen eggs when she was about 6? months old. The eggs were huge and soooo rich. I can see how they would be good for cakes and puddings.

southernmom
03-23-2016, 05:05 PM
Well I have a mama duck setting-like seriously setting-so I have her separated in her little world from the others. Hoping for a good bit of ducklings from her. I also have 2 hens who are also seriously setting and get downright mean if you walk near their nests...so we built a makeshift divider between them and the others for them to hatch chicks and take care of them til they are old enough to head to the big flock. Quick job, my son did it in no time.

I have green beans, taters, zipper peas, seminole squash, summer squashes, okra, onions, kale and kohlrabi, cucumbers, watermelon, hickory king corn and lots of tomatoes and sweet and hot peppers up and growing fast. The green beans will be ready in a couple weeks. I am also going to put a variety of parching corn in the ground and black eyed peas and sweet taters and tan cheese pumpkins, and butternut squash in the ground in the next few weeks.

We got a couple mango trees, a papaya, a cherry of the rio grande, muscadine grapevine, yacon, and yerba mate bush planted. Also got a few thai roselles (florida cranberry) seedlings going. And my bocking 14 comfrey is coming through the ground. Oh! And water chestnuts are finally going! The ginger and turmeric are slow to sprout but they take awhile anyway. I have also planted a few mexican mini gherkins, moringa and a few other little things.

*whew* when I type all that out it sure seems like a lot. Doesn't seem like so much when I am doing it.

I am trying my hand at fermenting cabbage for sauerkraut and so far so good.

Oh! I absolutely LOVE my broadfork and easy digging tools. They are heavy duty but I get so much done faster, and easier. I am a happy gal.
So that is what is going on at GhostTown farm.
How's it going with all of you?

Boston_Joe
03-24-2016, 07:47 AM
Good luck with the duck eggs. My Khaki Campbells lay a lot of eggs but they have yet to get to setting on them. I've got what should be a nice nesting box all made up for them but they don't stay in it any longer than it takes to lay an egg.

Job
03-24-2016, 10:20 AM
Seems like you're doing good. We have some Rouens,(sp?), and they not only build nests, but drop eggs wherever. Just can't get em to set. Maybe the drakes aren't doing it right? lol

W.Lynn
03-27-2016, 08:58 AM
From what I understand, ducks don't "right" or "left" - they corkscrew.

roach2654
03-27-2016, 09:11 AM
Looks like a pigs tail !

Job
03-31-2016, 09:09 PM
At any rate, even if the eggs aren't fertile, I have uses for them. :lol: