water buckets and filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• water buckets and filter

Found out plastic buckets don't like having a 3/4" hole drilled in the side, they tend to get a crack running away from where you're drilling. But you DO want to drill, start a few sizes small and get up to the 3/4" you need for the replacement spout that fits the big, expensive, orange water cans.

If you can find them, you want HDPE 2 buckets, and wash them after drilling, gets rid of plastic crumbles and anything else they've been exposed to since being made.

20140923_143620.jpg

Lid of bottom bucket gets a hole, big enough not to cause problems for the end of the filter if the top bucket shifts a little when you pour water in.

20140927_095943.jpg

More when I get home.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by W.Lynn; 09-27-2014, 05:53 PM.
    quam minimum credula postero

The threaded end of the filter, with the plastic nut on it, shows at the top of the extra image from the first post. Here's the other end,

20140927_100043.jpg

The 3/4" hole for the spout is near the bottom, I might set a few more up for big events (think tea, lemonade, and ice water,) and just leave them unassembled, since the buckets nest just fine.

20140927_095917.jpg

Putting the spout near the bottom makes for easy serve-yourself beverages placed on the edge of the sink or a picnic table. There's no sign of leaking yet, but since I put a flat-mount spout on a curved bucket, we put the included (thick) gasket on the outside, disregarding instructions, and added an o-ring to the inside. Having the RP muscle the plastic washer and nut on the inside was also good.

Comment

Extra shots,

20140927_100026.jpg

20140927_095929.jpg

Comment

Thinking of leaving a silver piece in the bottom bucket. Saw a mention once that people used to leave a silver piece in their milk jugs to keep the milk healthy.

Comment

This is true. Silver dimes were kept in the milk jug and the jug would be left on the table through the day.
          "Oh, America. I wish I could tell you that this was still America, but I've come to realize that you can't have a country without people. And there are no people here. No, my friends. This is now the United States of Zombieland"

Comment

Can/will you please take some pics of the entire unit put together?
            Defund the Media !!

Comment

Kick, put together, all you see from the outside is one bucket sitting on top of the lid of another bucket. The bottom one happens to have a watercan type replacement spout on it.

Comment

I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA WHAT ALL THE PICS REPRESENT. Please show a finished product pic, far enough away, so I can figure out what you've built.
                Dode

Comment

Milk jugs may have had a silver dollar in them to help fight bacteria, but milk jugs were never left sitting on a table through the day. Milk products were kept covered in a spring house or covered in a crock of cool water, until needed. Flies transfer bacteria and a fly landing on the spout or rim of a milk jug sitting on a table could mean all kinds of nasty bacteria getting transferred to the recipient. Many babies have died through the centuries from ingesting milk laden with bacteria, from improper storage.
                  Dode

Comment

Dode, I only repeat it as my grandmother told it. She said they laid a cloth over the jug and would let it sit. She also mentioned spring houses so I will offer that she might have meant it in cold weather.
                    "Oh, America. I wish I could tell you that this was still America, but I've come to realize that you can't have a country without people. And there are no people here. No, my friends. This is now the United States of Zombieland"

Comment

Originally posted by myakka View Post
                      Dode, I only repeat it as my grandmother told it. She said they laid a cloth over the jug and would let it sit. She also mentioned spring houses so I will offer that she might have meant it in cold weather.
                      Thanks, I wouldn't want a newbie survivalist to make himself sick by misunderstanding fundamental precautions.

I'm gonna google this water filtration gizmo, so I'll know what it looks like.
                      Dode

Comment

Ok, here it is, anyone with the power to do so is welcome to reorient this one, or any of the other photos.

20140928_102137.jpg

The whole assembly, has the top (blue) bucket with one small hole in the bottom, the tube of the filter just fits, with the filter standing up inside the bucket, and a regular, uncut lid on top.

The bottom bucket got a big enough hole in it's lid, so if the top one shifts around a little, it still won't be anywhere near touching the side of the opening. Avoiding small impacts may help in avoiding problems with the filters (like having them come apart, or the threaded end breaking off.)

The bottom bucket also has the "replacement" watercan spout installed just above the bottom.

It sits at a little angle, since I have the spout over sink. That way the little guys can get some water any time. And it's fast and convenient to wash the outside of the spout any time.

Comment

Also, I'm thinking of putting something thin under it, so it will sit level. The water tastes good, but the filter goes a little slow.

I hold the light of my phone behind them to see water levels, if the bottom one is low, I can fit plenty in the top and let it go all night.

Comment

Originally posted by myakka View Post
                            I have seen those cloth covers. While it could be a simple napkin, it could also be made to fit and beautifully embroidered. Small ones exist to keep flies and bees out of individual beverages.

Comment

Hey, try using a 3/4" copper pipe to 'drill' the hole. Heat the end of the pipe over a gas flame and melt the hole through the bucket wall. combination of heat and sharp edge should work well.

Comment

Working...
                              X