CLAY POT HEATER to keep feet warm this winter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CLAY POT HEATER to keep feet warm this winter

Last year, I used some clay pots as a heater to keep my feet warm, while in the den. During the winter, I keep my house chilly and use a wool lap robe to keep me warm, while sitting. I found that by putting the pot between my feet and using the wool blanket to cover my feet, pot and legs, the heat from the clay pot heater kept my feet extremely toasty! Oh yes, I put the pots on a plant dolly, for ventilation and ease of moving. I have those pics on my crashed laptop and as soon as the new one arrives, I can get them off my external hard drive and post them. In the meantime, here are some pics of a larger clay pot heater. This heater uses 14" and 12" pots. Using two pots creates more thermal mass, so it stays warm longer after the candle is extinguished.

This year, I want to build some sort of strong framework to use as an ottoman over the pots, allowing the heat to rise to propped legs with blanket. I haven't sorted out the framework, yet, but here's the clay pot heater pics.

The two pots are placed upside down over a candle. The pots are resting on spacers of some type, for ventilation purposes. For a stationary heater, I prefer flat firring strips, so the pot doesn't roll off. (I used dowel rods in the pics, because they were handy at the time.) I placed a flat clay saucer on top, as another bit of thermal mass and to cover the hole in the outer pot. Placing the candle and pots on a plant dolly makes it very easy to move it aside when needed.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Dode; 09-08-2014, 04:36 PM.
    Dode

That's pretty interesting. Using a candle like that to heat the pot would be really efficient. Nice idea.
    I'm drunk tonith.

Comment

My God! Is that your signature line? LOL
      Dode

Comment

I forgot to say that the clay pots are used as ZEER pots during the warmer months, for egg storage. Go see the ZEER POT thread....
        Dode

Comment

Lol, yeah I need to change that since I don't drink much anymore.
          I'm drunk tonith.

Comment

You can get small spacers from the garden department at the big-box home improvement stores, but they might be just a little bigger than you want. But like many other things, you can re-purpose broken pieces if you happen to have a pot or saucer break and leave a handful of decent size chunks.
            quam minimum credula postero

Comment

Lol.... I have some flat boards in the garage, but it's a 200 ft walk..yeah...lazy
              Dode

Comment

I think I'll break out the SMALL clay heaters today..... just to have them ready. House was barely chilled last night. The mohair shrug felt good...like a cloud of warmth. Anywhoo, I'll take new pics of the small heaters, since the new laptop received is still THE WRONG ONE.
                Dode

Comment

Working...
                X