X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lodge 8qt deep Camp Dutch Oven

Ran across this great price

$44.43 plus free shipping

It's currently less than the 5qt one! Not sure how long the sale will last though. Have to check with RD, but hoping we can squeak the funds to get one ourselves.
    Pastemistress. Now aka Mimi

Gwyn, the 8qt is kinda small. The smallest one we use is a 12 and it is just about right for a small batch of chili.

Tex
    = 2
    sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

lemme know if you want to use my amazon prime account, free shipping

Comment

Tex,

But a "small" batch for how many people? So maybe not for main dish, but useful for side dish or dessert? As I don't currently have a "camp" one at all, I figured this is a good intro point.

Jr - I'll let you know. It has free shipping but Prime would give me free 2-day shipping.

Comment

We've been slowly switching over to cast iron. We have that 8qt, it's quite nice and versatile.

Comment

Originally posted by Gwynmael View Post
            Tex,

But a "small" batch for how many people? So maybe not for main dish, but useful for side dish or dessert? As I don't currently have a "camp" one at all, I figured this is a good intro point.

Jr - I'll let you know. It has free shipping but Prime would give me free 2-day shipping.
            The 12qt is just about perfect to make a pot of chili for 2-3 people.

Remember, it is measured by volume and the 8qt is from the bottom all the way up to the rim. You won't be able to fill it plumb to the top in order to cook. You could use it to make a small batch of biscuits with no problem though. With the 12qt you can actually cook an honest 8qts of something.

The camp style with the legs are great for cooking outside over coals, but they are a pain trying to use them inside over a stove burner or in the oven.

There is nothing wrong with the 8qt at all, I just wanted to let you know that an 8qt is on the smaller side. The Native and I use ours in order to make enough for a meal and then have some left over for the next day or to freeze.

Everyone should have a good collection of castiron, so go ahead and get it.

Tex
            = 2
            sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

I use a fair bit if cast iron, but Tex's comment about chili got me to wondering, does anyone have issues with larch flakes coming off the cookware when you make acidic things like chili or other tomato based typed dishes in it?

I ruined a batch of chili in my dutch oven with flakes of the seasoned metal coming off in it. It was not dirty but seasoned.

My family gave me hell because the chili was so hot it ate through the cast iron. Lol. If it does not make you sweat, it is not chili.

This happened with other acidic things as well.

Comment

I've never had that problem, Redman. In fact, I've never heard of it.

Tex
                = 2
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by redman2006 View Post
                  I use a fair bit if cast iron, but Tex's comment about chili got me to wondering, does anyone have issues with larch flakes coming off the cookware when you make acidic things like chili or other tomato based typed dishes in it?

I ruined a batch of chili in my dutch oven with flakes of the seasoned metal coming off in it. It was not dirty but seasoned.

My family gave me hell because the chili was so hot it ate through the cast iron. Lol. If it does not make you sweat, it is not chili.

This happened with other acidic things as well.

Red- That sounds like it was not fully seasoned or what you cooked in prior still had residue remaining. Some lower quality cast iron won't cure correctly to be able use for various dishes. I just wipe out ours out when we are done with it here, granted what we use ours for is limited to selective meals.

RD
                  Sometimes I wrestle with my demons, other times we just snuggle.

Comment

redman,

on the link I posted if you scroll down it has the seasoning instructions from Lodge. They specifically state:

Are there any types of food that are not recommended to be cooked in cast iron cookware?

Foods which are very acidic (i.e. beans, tomatoes, citrus juices, etc.) should not be cooked in a cast iron utensil until the cookware is highly seasoned. The high acidity of these foods will strip the seasoning and result in discoloration and metallic tasting food. Wait until cast iron is better seasoned to cook these types of foods.

So it sounds like it wasn't metal flaking off, but the seasoning. Which may not yet have been "deep" enough to prevent being stripped off during cooking.
                    Hope that helps.

Comment

Redman, also if it was "pre-seasoned" from the store with that heavy coating of who-knows-what, that stuff just isn't right. I've seen that stuff come off of items in big flakes before, so I got in the habit of taking all that off, if the item I wanted was only available with it.
                      quam minimum credula postero

Comment

Originally posted by junior125 View Post
                        lemme know if you want to use my amazon prime account, free shipping
                        I love Prime! Do you do the free music and video streaming?

Comment

Thanks guys. This was an older pan I have used for years. It was just one of those things. I polished it up and started over. The really old stuff my Grandmother and great grandmother passed down to me has a much finer grain to the metal if that makes any sense. I wondered if that had anything to do with it. Several antique peices I have are much better than the current lodge stuff I purchased.

I like cooking with cast iron. There is just something about it that is more satisfying.

Comment

I have heard of flakes coming off before, just as you described. from what I have read, for things like tomato sauces you should try using an enameled pot.

just my 2 cents, I am no expert.

Comment

I love mine Gwyn. I have 2 sizes. You don't have to buy the fancy lid lifter, a claw hammer works well enough.

Comment

Working...
                              X