New guy here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy here

Tex referred me to this site. I've been talking with tex on the survivalist Boards.

I don't brew beer anymore. This used to be a hobby of mine and I would like to start again.

Right now, I'm married with no children. I'm a corporate slave and want to get out of it. As far as my survivalist skills go, I'm not prepared at all and will probably go down with the rest of the sheeple. I got some cash at home, some water and some canned food, but not much.

I work 100 miles from home and stay away during the week, so when SHTF, I'll have to get home some how. I've been trying to get a job near home and all my hobbies and prepping are on hold, until this happens.

The other issue I have is my wife is not 100% on board with survival techniques and preparation. She agrees with everything I say to her, but thinks I obsess about this too much. She's really laid back and I admire her for that. When she was diagnosed with breast cancer, I could not believe how brave she was. Her whole attitude during the time was I'll wait to see what the doctors say, then deal with any news then. Me, on the other hand, likes to plan everything. I had flow charts for "if the doctor say this, then we'll do this, or if the doctor says that, then we'll do this". I don't mean to ramble on, but if you have any advice as to how I can get my wife onboard with preparing for the crap that's going to hit us, please let me know.

I don't think I'll have much to contribute but I'll try. I'm a smart person and can quickly learn stuff. I'm a good guy though, and will be there for you, if you ever need help or advice with anything.

Brew

Your DOOMED. You admitted you know Tex. You have no credibility here now.

Comment

Welcome sir.

Comment

Hi Brew, Welcome to the boards. I have family in the Richmond area, nice country there. You are not alone in the spouse not on board scenerio, but talking and thinking about it is a good start. I know sometimes you get power outages for a few days from hurricanes and tropical storms, so maybe you are a little prepared. Have you read AA's books? There are tons of info in them, plus a ton of other good books out there if she like to read. Make yourself up a Get Home Bag (GHB) if you don't already have one. Jump in, ask questions and don't get overwhelmed.
        Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.”
        Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Comment

Originally posted by AD View Post
          Your DOOMED. You admitted you know Tex. You have no credibility here now.
          Oh that must have been a typo. I meant Mex. I just had a really good burrito and was trying to review it.

Comment

Brew, welcome to the board. I didn't know that about your wife and I will keep you guys in my prayers. You will notice we have a deal up to help raise money for another breast cancer survivor. She is still battling it, but she WILL survive it and pull through with flying colors. She is the wife of one of our longtime group members and this bunch does a good job of circling the wagons and pulling together whenever one of us has a need.

This all started over on SB, but when AA finally got a good book deal we started this board. Several of us have been on this ride since AA started writing Going Home and the rest all jumped on as they found us. We are a smaller board, but we have a good group who really tries to help one another.Most of this bunch has been out here to the ranch at one time or another and we had a big get together at the branding this year.

Feel free to jump right on in. If you have any questions go ahead and ask. There is a lot of knowledge and experience represented here.

Tex
            Last edited by Tex; 08-30-2014, 08:12 PM.
            = 2
            sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

Welcome brew, still drying the water from behind my ears here...
              When the present determines the future, but the approximate present does not approximately determine the future: Edward Lorenz

Comment

Welcome, and don't worry too much, anything at all is a lot more than many homes! Sneak the level up a can of something here or there, or a couple of new bath towels, extra roll of duct tape, etc.

You have our sympathy on having such a distance to go if there's a messy situation brewed up. And about the evils of cancer, seems most families have been hit by it one way or another.
                quam minimum credula postero

Comment

Welcome Brew!! We all started someplace. You'll get there. Sometimes recognizing dangers and planning ahead is hte best thing you can do.

Comment

Originally posted by Tex View Post
                    Brew, welcome to the board. I didn't know that about your wife and I will keep you guys in my prayers. You will notice we have a deal up to help raise money for another breast cancer survivor. She is still battling it, but she WILL survive it and pull through with flying colors. She is the wife of one of our longtime group members and this bunch does a good job of circling the wagons and pulling together whenever one of us has a need.

This all started over on SB, but when AA finally got a good book deal we started this board. Several of us have been on this ride since AA started writing Going Home and the rest all jumped on as they found us. We are a smaller board, but we have a good group who really tries to help one another.Most of this bunch has been out here to the ranch at one time or another and we had a big get together at the branding this year.

Feel free to jump right on in. If you have any questions go ahead and ask. There is a lot of knowledge and experience represented here.

Tex
                    Hey Tex, I'm not sure if I ever told you about 2008. My company shut down our site in Vermont and in March they offered me a job in their factory in Richmond, so my wife quit her job and we moved there. We were glad to leave all the liberal quacks in Vermont. In May 2008, I got diagnosed with kidney cancer and got my kidney removed in June. On a Friday in October, my wife got diagnosed with stage 1 breast cancer. The following Monday, my company went bankrupt and I lost my job. My wife had surgery in December 2008 and was fine. She has still has both breasts, it was a lumpectomy.

I consider us the luckiest people in the world. Right now, we are both 100% healthy. Things could have been much worse. God is watching out for us. You would never be able to tell that either of us had cancer, except I can't throw a football or baseball as far as I used to be able to.

We're both planning on taking a week off of work in early October to celebrate our anniversary. I might plant the seed about heading west for a vacation. Our plan now is to take the week off and hang out at home, but I'll see what we decide to do. We spend most our vacations in South Carolina.

My transfer at work to Longmont is still on the table, but they don't know about the issues I'm having with my management. I know two people that work at the site and they know my work ethic so I don't think that would be an issue. I'd like to get west of the Mississippi into a safer area. We'll see what happens.

Brew

Comment

Welcome to the board .
                      Admitting that you know Tex is not quite as bad as some make it out to be .
                      Lots of good people here ,lots to read and learn .
                      One bite at a time .

Good luck

DD
                      OH Boy.....did you try plugging it in ?

Comment

Welcome From PA

Comment

Brew, Welcome to the board. As my wife and I like to say FUCK CANCER !!!Sounds like you have alot on your plate .Hope you can get your wife on board. She sounds like a strong woman. Like DD says One bite at a time. These folks here are the Best so you are in good company. If you need anything, just ask.
                          People without any brains do an awful lot of talking. Don't they?!
                          ~the Scarecrow from the Wizard of Oz

Comment

Welcome from Wyoming! Best of luck with your plans and let us know how we can help.

Kelly

Comment

Brew,
                              Welcome to the nuthouse. I'm glad to have you aboard. Congrats on your clean bills of health.

As for helping bring your better half onboard, my first suggestion is to start by using terms like "hurricane preps" or something similar. It doesn't have to be a lot, just an extra can of Spam, chicken or roast beef, or a bag of rice, stuck into a 5 gallon bucket "just in case". You do this every time you can when you go shopping. When that bucket gets full, seal it up, write a date on it, stick it in the Man Cave or other area that's out of the way, and start again.

I'm very fortunate to have a better half that's fully onboard. She has her own Going Home Bag, as she works 50 or so miles from home. She's a great shot and has her ham radio license (both things happened before we met).

Something else to consider... are you a Ham (radio, not acting)? It can be an interesting hobby which just might become useful should the need arise.
                              Have you read the Going Home series? Do you have a GHB?

Again, welcome from Southern New Mexico.
                              Defund the Media !!

Comment

Working...
                              X