How to start your own prepper/survival/homesteading/whatever website

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to start your own prepper/survival/homesteading/whatever website

I threw out a question on my Graywolf Survival facebook page the other day asking if anyone would be interested in how they could start their own prepper or survival website.

I had a suspicion that there might be interest because I know preppers have a lot of knowledge and they can always use extra income as an insurance policy against losing their job and to pay for some of the ammo/food/supplies etc that they want. I got FLOODED with emails, chat windows and several comments on the post.

So I spent a TON of time coming up with an article on how to get started. It goes through finding a niche, thinking of a brand, coming up with a domain name, and then steps to walk through how to get a domain name and install wordpress on a server to get started. I wanted to write the article that I wish I'd had when I started online years ago.

Making money online is a LOT of work, but if you think it through and plan on doing a lot of learning along the way, you can EVENTUALLY make a good deal of money from it.

In case you're interested, here's the article

Financial prepping: how to start a prepper website - the right way

Prepping and the Threeper movement are both kind of hot right now, but I am wondering how long it will last. Yes, both have alot of value and need behind them, but let's face it, there are alot of people out there who jump on every little hot bandwagon that comes along. The newness will wear off for alot of people before long and many of these newer sites will fade into oblivion. That being said, there is room for some more quality out there.

For a while I had thought about starting one geared toward my areas of expertise, but two things happened. I realized that I don't have the time to keep one updated and filled with new material all the time and AA told me I could have a few liberties here to do what I wanted. I didn't want to compete with this site at all, but in order to have been viable, I would have had to atleast somewhat. The whole deal was a no-go for me because of several different factors.

There are alot of people out there with alot of useful knowledge to pass on, but there are very few who have enough to justify having their own site, you being one of the exceptions Graywolf. In many cases, if a few of these people with the smaller more obscure sites would team up and share responsibilities and duties and combine their sites, they would really have something spectacular. As it is though, most don't have enough to make folks even want to remember their web address. I am on the mailing list for Western Rifle Shooters and I like what they do. They will wade through alot of the more obscure sites and then send out mailers or alerts when somebody has something that is worthy of attention. In my opinion, that was a good idea.

Graywolf, hopefully some folks will take your advice and learn from your trials and errors and be able to get some more useful information out to the masses. With any luck at all though, a few of them will get together and build something really cool.

Tex
    = 2
    sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

Tex brother, how much have you already forgotten about ranching that other people would like to know? What about all the things that go into ranching? what about things that ranchers buy or use? Like guns? Or horses? Or cattle? Or saddles? Or saddle soap? I don't have the slightest idea about things that you could write books about.

There's always a way to make money online. Don't be the gold digger. Be the guy that sells shovels. Or the guy who has the website to tell them all about shovels and provides the link to the shovels they should buy.

Comment

Thanks for the compliment. Others have told me some of the same things, but when it comes to all of this internet stuff, I don't even know or have a clue about all of the things I would need to pull it off. And like a I said before, I don't know if I would have the time or the content to keep things interesting and useful. I have given this quite a bit of thought for a while, but I always end up scratching my head and wondering how people do it. It does sound interesting though. Maybe you can give me a call sometime soon and I can pick your brain.

What sort of cost would a person be looking at in order to get started?

Tex
        = 2
        sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

It can be done very cheaply but if you have little internet experience you might wanna wait until I get a chance to come out to the ranch lol. There is a lot too it but getting started isn't all that much if you have someone to step you through it. I took 10k words just to explain how to figure out what kind of business you might wanna do online and then how to get the thing started with a blank slate. There's a bunch more to it than that but if you already know the internet fairly well then it's not that big a leap.

Your business can probably use some kind of online presence but you don't wanna go throwing out dollars there until you get a good game plan.

If you're internet-savvy, you can get started with just a couple hundred bucks - or much less than that. If not, you might have to get someone to walk you through it and they're not cheap. Of course some of us might just trade being able to hang out for a week and help with chores and emptying a few beers in exchange for helping at some point.

Comment

Come on up. I would welcome the company and the help. When you leave, I do have an old broad who helps me out on all things computer and she is pretty damn savvy on it. I'm sure she will make her presence known once she sees that I called her an old broad too, lol.

She has been after me to get something going in this regard for quite awhile and there has been a few others around here too. I still don't think I am smart enough to pull it off, but I never thought I would be writing a book either.

I would appreciate the help if you want to come out to the ranch and help get me going. Surely we could find a few things to occupy our time while you are here.

Tex
            = 2
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Graywolf View Post
              finding a niche, thinking of a brand, coming up with a domain name, and then steps to walk through how to get a domain name and install wordpress on a server to get started.
              That right there is the bulk of the work and not really all that technical if you know how to point domain names and setup hosting. Many hosting companies will "auto install" WordPress since it is so popular. And, if you use WordPress, it removes a lot of the deep technical work out of the whole process. I have been building websites for a long time now and so many people, without technical experience, are interested in maintaining their own website, a full 90% of what I do now is setup WordPress sites for people. It can handle just about anything you might want to do.
              Bumper
              Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Comment

Yeah, they have a quick install thing similar to what fantastico does on the example I showed.

The big thing I wanted to get across with the article was coming up with a plan before they get started. Too many people just jump into it.

Comment

Originally posted by Graywolf View Post
                  The big thing I wanted to get across with the article was coming up with a plan before they get started. Too many people just jump into it.
                  Absolutely. And, people have to treat it like it is a business. So many throw up a website and never update it. I always tell that never updating or adding content is really worse than not having one. Once people believe that your website is stagnant it's hard to get them back again. A blog, that is regularly updated is one of the best ways to build traffic with the search engines over the long haul.
                  Bumper

Comment

Yup, and you need to fill it with several articles before you start actively promoting it or people will stop in from your efforts (that could have been used writing), see the place is empty, and never come back.

Comment

Originally posted by Tex View Post
                      ... When you leave, I do have an old broad who helps me out on all things computer and she is pretty damn savvy on it. I'm sure she will make her presence known once she sees that I called her an old broad too, lol.
                      Tex
                      Once I get my gov subsidized walker, stairway chair lift and AARP card, I should be able to help you between the hours of 4 and 6am, cause that's when us old broads are awake...

Asshat.

Kelly

Comment

( ASSHAT )

AWWW Kelly is trying to help Tex with his domain name ...how sweet .

8)

DD
                        OH Boy.....did you try plugging it in ?

Comment

Originally posted by dangerdan View Post
                          ( ASSHAT )

AWWW Kelly is trying to help Tex with his domain name ...how sweet .

8)

DD
                          Pardner, she has been more help to me than I could ever repay. Whenever I have any kind of computer questions or problems, she's always got an answer.

Kelly, the Hostile Native and a couple of others have been on my ass about getting a site going, but I've been resisting. Then I talked to Graywolf about it and he allowed how it wasn't as hard as I've been making it out to be. Once I am able to get something going I will have several people to thank.

Tex
                          = 2
                          sigpic

Comment

asshat.com has been taken but asshat.info is still available.....
                            Bumper

Comment

I could hand over Asshat.com. I'm not using it anymore
                              Whats's that smell? Is that me???

Comment

Working...
                              X