Does anyone have an oil press?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone have an oil press?

I know, realistically, many oils are beneficial, I cook many of the RP's meals in grape seed oil if that tells you anything (besides which, it has one of the highest smoking points of cooking oils easily available.) But they don't store over a great deal of time very well.

So I keep browsing back to Lehman's to ogle the hand-cranked oil press they stock. I hate to commit a pair of c-notes plus shipping to it, when I don't seem to know anybody who's got one to recommend it.

Waste is low enough, if I understand them right. After grinding & pressing your seeds or nuts, you can mix the remainder in with animal feed, throw to chickens, compost etc.

If you want cold-pressed oils, that's all. If you want maximum output, you light the oil-candle that comes with it, and reportedly get a great deal more oil.

And most of us live where we can cultivate or gather sunflowers and nuts.
    Last edited by W.Lynn; 07-19-2014, 01:46 AM. Reason: Want one, but SO many other things to spend it on.
    quam minimum credula postero

Cheaper on amazon plus more reviews

Comment

Thank you!

The amazon reviews are very telling. The instructions need to be rewritten for the barely literate, with an emphasis on resetting one fiddly doohicky every time you switch from one seed or nut to another.

Also, if you want it for the health benefit of doing things fresh, you don't really want to wear yourself out making a gallon of oil (some of the comments talked about making a gallon.) For fresh oils, you only make a cup or two, to use that week. Faster, you aren't as tired, and less mess to wipe up.
      quam minimum credula postero

Comment

Working...
      X