ham radio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ham radio

Does anyone have reading material suggestions on this? I have been curious for a while and picked up Ham Radio for Dummies. It seems I need one for cretins or maybe full morons.

Anyway, I have always done better by doing than reading, so I grabbed a cheap handheld dual band radio to play with. (Don't worry, I have not touched the transmit switch). Anyway, it helps, but frankly, I am just not getting it. I can do plenty of memory work to pass the test, but to truly understand concepts is not happening.

Any suggestions? I know no one in the area that is a ham.

Thanks

PS. I was curious, what radio did Sarge send with Morgan in the first book?

Thanks for the help

RD
    Sometimes I wrestle with my demons, other times we just snuggle.

Comment

I think what Sarge provided to Morgan is outlined in one of the book Q&A threads, AD can also answer it, as he did the specifications for it.

In addition to AD's site I used http://hamradiolicenseexam.com/ web site for study. It worked great. If you stop in to a local ham shop I'm sure you can find several books worth reading if you want to do it that was as well.

Comment

I used the online only, just have to make time for it

Comment

I recently got my Technician's license and I have found that the more you listen and play around with the radio, the more it makes sense. The ham guys on here advised me to get my license and the rest would come. I used the ARRL manual and Hamestestonline.com.
          Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.”
          Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Comment

Thanks for the answers.

Comment

Look up the nearest local club on the web, walk in with the book in your hand, and tell someone you need an Elmer.
              quam minimum credula postero

Comment

Originally posted by W.Lynn View Post
                Look up the nearest local club on the web, walk in with the book in your hand, and tell someone you need an Elmer.
                Theres an old saying.

RD
                Sometimes I wrestle with my demons, other times we just snuggle.

Comment

Sarge gave Morgan a Yaesu 857D and a end fed wire. UN and I both have one. I think JR does too.

hamtestonline.com is the was to go. Go for both the Tech and General at the same time as the material is very similar. It costs, but well worth it.

Look at this thread on my site
                  Last edited by AD; 07-07-2014, 12:21 AM.

Comment

I thought endfeed had to have a tuner?

Thanks for all the replies everyone. This helps

Comment

I'll toss another vote for both www.hamtestonline.com and www.preparedham.com

www.preparedham.com IS this boards comms section. If we can help explain anything, feel free to ask.
                      Last edited by kickstand; 07-07-2014, 09:54 PM.
                      Defund the Media !!

Comment

Originally posted by redman2006 View Post
                        I thought endfeed had to have a tuner?

Thanks for all the replies everyone. This helps
                        Nope, not these

I am running a 20 & 40 meter and no tuner is required.

Comment

Thanks again to everyone

Comment

What would work for a listening station using a th-f6a? Some sort of a really simple, easy to raise , light weight antenna for listening only. Something to put in a backpack.

Then later, what would work for using the triband on it?

I will go sign up at prepared ham and do some reading there as well.

Thanks

Comment

That kenwood will only get you VHF/UHF bands which is local line of sight unless you have linked repeaters.

I have this at my base and can be pulled up in a tree with 550 cord and give great rev/tx but not on 220.

Comment

Working...
                              X