Modular Sleep system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modular Sleep system

I ordered three Modular Sleep systems from Major Surplus. They had a sale, 222.64 out the door for all three. They are the old 3 piece system. I've used them in the Marine Corps before. Going to use them for camping. How do you all like this system?

I've got one and like it, just wish they were made fer us big fellas.
    I'm drunk tonith.

Comment

Do either of you guys have a link to what you are talking about?

Tex
      = 2
      sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

Here it is. It's two bags in one with a waterproof cover. Not bad for the price.

Comment

I have a guide gear (sportsman's guide) version. I like it. Haven't tested the water resistance of it. I'm not a big guy and it's a tight fit. Very warm.

Comment

A great system! ECWS - Extremely Cold Weather System modular sleep system is versatile. The "patrol bag" is the lightest bag and is the one I use most often. The heavier black bag is the cold weather bag and can be used by itself as well. The GORE-TEX bivy shell is the best part because you can climb in it and won't need a tent. It isn't perfect, but it is wonderful over the patrol bag one kept me dry. Haven't used mine for snow camping yet, but am confident it will do the trick. For that I will put the black bag in the shell and the patrol bag in the shell. The Hollowfil fibers keep you warm even if damp. Enjoy!

Comment

This is not a lightweight sleep system like you guys are probably talking about, but this is what I use. It's called a "Cowboy Bedroll". It is not made to backpack with as it's too heavy, but if you are using horses it's great. I have a pretty good backpacking/camping style mattress in it and then I have my sleeping bag that is wrapped in a heavy blanket and a big afghan my Momma made. I also carry a pillow too. When I am going to help neighbors with the spring gather, I can roll it up with extra clothes and things I may need so I've got everything in one place. On the end where you head is, there is a big canvas flap you can pull over you to help keep the weather off. The heavy canvas makes it very durable and weather proof as long as you treat it with a little care.

These things were developed over a century ago and have been improved upon since then. They are not meant to use while hiking/backpacking, but if you are using horses or driving to your destination they work great and are my favorite type of sleep system.

Tex
              Attached Files
              = 2
              sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

The only part i liked of the sleep system is the bivy because it can be had for alot less than a comparable civilian goretex bivy and for roughly the same weight and packed size. Personally I prefer my down 15 degree bag combined with the bivy and maybe a liner if it gets real cold.

I think the MSS is too heavy to carry around, but for the price its definately worth the money if you can get a brand new set. 222.64 is a good price for 3( as i had read it originally at 222.64 for one). Id get one for car camping but for carrying on my back, personally I'm done with carrying heavy **** if i can help it.
                Last edited by Tex; 09-02-2014, 10:28 PM.

Comment

Just ordered a 4 piece modular system from US Military Outdoor and Sporting Gear. It was used but got it all including shipping for $62.34. It included a gortex bivy. New was twice that plus shipping.They had 1 left at that price.

Comment

Working...
                  X