Making laundry soap for next to nothing per load

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making laundry soap for next to nothing per load

OK, found this recipe to make el-cheapo detergent for the washing machine.

Here is what you need:
    Water,
    One bar of Fels Naptha soap,
    Two regular mouth quart canning jars with lids, plastic lids even better,
    Box of 20 Mule team Borax,
    Box of Arm & Hammer Washing SODA,
    regular electric blender,
    measuring cup.

Cut the Fels Naptha in half and then cut each half into small cubes and add to jar....you will have two jars with the soap, half bar in each jar.
    Add 1.5 cups of boiling water to each jar, cap and let it sit 24 hours.
    Use a butter knife and criss cross the soap in the jar so it is sort of loose.
    Add 1/2 cup of the Borax to each jar.
    Add 1/2 cup of the washing soda to each jar.
    Add water, enough to give you at least 2" head space or 2" from the top of the jars
    Screw the cutter from the bottom of your blender to the jar
    Blend for maybe 30 seconds or so till just mixed well, your mix will look like mayonnaise.
    Screw your lids on the jars and store.
    To use: Use ONE TABLESPOON per load of laundry. Let the incoming water wash the soap off your tablespoon. DO NOT PUT IN THE SOAP DISPENSOR ON MACHINE.

Now in all fairness, I just finished making this stuff tonight and have not tried it out yet.

I bought 3 bars of Fels Naptha and one box each of the washing soda and borax all for about $10. If this shit works, I have enough laundry soap to wash 2-3 loads per day for a year, all for under $10.

Yes, I will update the results........anyone else made this stuff?
    Last edited by Kessler; 07-03-2014, 09:29 PM.
    Kessler
    I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure....
    INCOMING GUNFIRE ALWAYS HAS THE RIGHT-OF-WAY!

My friend's recipe makes a 5 gallon bucket size. Yours sound way more concentrated. Anxious to hear how it works. I have heard good things about the homemade laundry soap. Whiter whites! Thanks Mr. Kess!
    Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.”
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Comment

The Fels Naptha bar is also excellent for a stain treatment. I just moisten the item, and scrub with the bar.

I've done the 5 gallon bucket version of the laundry soap, it does clean, but doesn't do much for odor. I was thinking some lavender oil for a very light scent, and maybe tea tree oil (being mildly anti-everything, to help kill microbial odor causers) might get a nice fresh scent without being overpowering.
      quam minimum credula postero

Comment

Unfortunately that recipe won't work for me Kess. I have an HE machine so have no choice but to use the detergent dispenser as the lid locks before the water starts flowing.

Maybe it's possible to dilute the amount first, then that can go in the dispenser?
        Pastemistress. Now aka Mimi

Comment

The bucket recipe is same thing, more water, very liquid. It's all over the web, I may find a link later, or someone might beat me to it.

Comment

The Hostile got into making homemade soap and laundry detergent these last few months and we really like it. There are several different ways to make the laundry soap, but if a person wanted to go 'bare bones', like she did at first, you can actually make some that only costs about 3 1/2 to 4 cents per load. She has started putting some Oxy-Clean in there and that raises the price a little bit. We didn't have time while everyone was here for the branding, but we were hoping to be able to teach everyone how to make different soaps as well as laundry detergent.

When she was making the last batch of detergent I did get a few pictures of the different ingredients. I also wrote down the different steps in making it. One would think I put all of that stuff to where I could find it on my tablet, but apparently my secretarial and organizational are lacking.

Tex
            = 2
            sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

The soap the HN sent me home with has been great
              Whats's that smell? Is that me???

Comment

THat's the same recipe I use, except we used ivory soap instead of fels naptha (store was out of it). Works great, no problems, got the clothes clean.
                Daughter of a Ghost Town.

Comment

We have been doing the fels naphtha-20mule recipe for a couple years but stopped when we got the HE machine. I have heard people say it works in them but have not tried. I do know this soap works, but not nearly as well as store bought. Jt would use store bought every 4th or so load.

That said. I want to learn to make bar/hand soap.
                  Whats's that smell? Is that me???

Comment

I know that the hardware store has lye, for people making their own soaps. You can get lots of additives, scent, hardeners (sometimes lye soap makes a pasty, soft soap, that needs kept in jars or tubs.) Once you have the acid in hand, store bought or leached out of ashes at home, you want the fat you will add it to (goat milk, cream, lard, tallow, vegetable, coconut, etc.) Then you get some goggles & gloves on and play mad scientist!

Also a good idea to let someone know what you're up to, and have a few gigantic, warehouse/bulk club size packages of washing or baking soda handy to neutralize acid with in case of mishaps.

Comment

I made some bar soap several years ago with Red Devil Lye....not bad stuff. Last year, I came across a similar recipe that HN used, except I used my homemade bar soap instead of Fels Naptha (I wanted something milder). It turned out slippery gooopy and I tried it on my face.....Santa Vacca, I now have the cleanest pores in town! Wish I'd had this stuff when I was a teenager!
                      Dode

Comment

I don't mix anything. I put them in a mesh bag til they lose their smell & I'm done. Cheap & they work a long time. lol
                        Revelation 3:16, Ecclesiastes 4:9-12

Comment

We use a very similar recipe to the first but we use a thrift store special food processor to grind up the fells naphtha. We also add a little purex crystal.

No water at all. This is just a powder when we are done. It does work in the he machine we have this way.

Comment

I need to look into the soap nut thing that was posted above.
                            Dode

Comment

Originally posted by Red Sonja View Post
                              http://www.amazon.com/SALE-NaturOli-.../dp/B001NU2L8U
                              I don't mix anything. I put them in a mesh bag til they lose their smell & I'm done. Cheap & they work a long time. lol
                              Have you tried the GreenWill brand that is also on amazon? They are selling whole berries 2.5 lbs./$20 and the postage is included for Prime. I did see that NaturOli gives GreenWill a bad review, however, many customers like their product. What are your thoughts?
                              Dode

Comment

Working...
                              X