Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Never thought much about Montel Williams, but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Never thought much about Montel Williams, but...

"“The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.” – Thomas Paine

He's been all over Fox New in the last 3 days proposing real valid solutions to the vet issues.

Did you know he spent 22 years in the Corp and graduated from the Naval Academy
    Last edited by AD; 05-30-2014, 06:16 PM.

Comment

I did not know this, very interesting and nice to know.
      I'm a ding bat & AA groupie

Comment

I would have never guessed that about him. Anyone else notice how as he ages he looks more and more like Louis Gossett Jr?
        I'm drunk tonith.

Comment

From wiki

Montel Williams enlisted in the U.S. Marines upon graduating high school in 1974. He took basic training at Parris Island, South Carolina, where he was promoted to platoon guide. After basic training, he was sent to the Desert Warfare Training Center at Twenty-nine Palms, near Palm Springs, Cal.

His superiors at Twenty-nine Palms became impressed with his leadership skills, and he was recommended for, and accepted to, the Naval Academy preparatory school at Newport, Rhode Island. He completed the one-year course and was accepted to the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis. When he arrived at Annapolis on July 6, 1976, he was honorably discharged as a corporal from the Marines, and enlisted into the Navy as a midshipman. Williams graduated from Annapolis in 1980 with a degree in general engineering and a minor in international security affairs. Upon his graduation, he became the first African American enlisted Marine to complete and graduate both the Academy prep school and Annapolis.

Williams spent the following year and a half in Guam as a cryptologic officer for naval intelligence, where he served at sea and ashore. In 1982 he was transferred to the Defense Language Institute in Monterey, Cal., where he studied the Russian language for one year.

After three years aboard submarines, Williams, now a full lieutenant, was made supervising cryptologic officer with the Naval Security Fleet Support Division at Ft. Meade, Md. It was while counseling his crew that he discovered a gift for public speaking. In 1988 he began conducting informal counseling for the wives and families of the servicemen in his command. He was later asked to speak to a local group of kids in Kansas City, Mo., about the importance of leadership and how to overcome obstacles on the road to success—thus beginning a three-year career in motivational speaking.

He left the Navy with the rank of lieutenant, and received the Navy Achievement Medal, the Meritorious Service Medal, and the Navy Commendation Medal. In addition, he reached out to thousands of parents, educators and business leaders, encouraging them to work together to address youth issues, trends and to inspire youngsters to reach their highest potential. These efforts to reach out to the community eventually led to his talk show, the “Montel Williams Show.”

Comment

Despite his show's questionable content, I have always respected his military service and support for our veterans.

Comment

Working...
            X