Hillside shelter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hillside shelter

Living in central Texas (Hill country) shelters are a good idea. We are looking at trying to build something that we can use as both a shelter and dry storage for food/survival gear.
    The hillside we have is not super steep. I've watched programs on Eco building or full blown containers that cost big bucks. Trying to figure out a happy medium that's functional, do able and will keep out critters.
    Any help or ideas would be great!

If you decide to build it, post photos and story about it.

Comment

you talking containers like this?

not 100% exactly where you are but I would check ebay, find a used one and inspect it and go from there

Comment

forget that hunk of junk I'm selling kits... finished units, or supplies for the EMP/Insulation, etc. Drop me a PM.. also in CT

Comment

Ive lived out there . Got Dynomite!?
          People without any brains do an awful lot of talking. Don't they?!
          ~the Scarecrow from the Wizard of Oz

Comment

ISO boxes are a good idea. They withstand 200 MPH winds, make decent housing in a pinch and are cheap in cost ($1900 for a 40 foot box)
            You're still walking free. Enjoy it while you can.
            Homesite: http://millenniummangear.com
            Twitter: https://twitter.com/millenniumgear

Comment

No not like that something that won't leak.

Comment

Here is why you don't bury shipping containers. http://graywolfsurvival.com/2625/why...a-shtf-bunker/

Comment

A while back, there was a guy up here who was selling 10' culverts that were 50' long for $6000. I have no idea if that is a good rice, but it certainly got me to thinking about a different approach to this sort of project. There are quite a few of these big culverts like this that go under railroad tracks. If they can withstand the weight of the earth along with the weight and vibration of multiple trains a day going over them, I would think they would be worth a look as an underground shelter.

Unseenone is correct in posting Graywolf's link. A conex (shipping container) as an underground shelter is a very bad idea. They have four load bearing points on them and that is it. By the time a person finished putting in adequate bracing, there would be very little room left to do anything.

Tex
                  = 2
                  sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

Working...
                  X