Question about table grapes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about table grapes...

I planted three Autumn Royal grape vines nearly two weeks ago and have not see any green growth at all. Does anyone know how long before I should see something?

I followed all of the instructions (except for one) and even used the planting sleeves. The only thing I got wrong was that I did not bury everything except the top two inches of the vine. I probably left out four to five inches. Will this cause any problems? Should I did them out and replant them?

I'd bet it's like tomatoes, my mom swore on burying all but the top little bit. Master gardener on the TV last weekend said most of the time you just slow things down doing that, as you no longer have enough top to take in sun for the amount of root system you are trying to make happen.
    quam minimum credula postero

Comment

Thanks, Lynn. I don't know how these planting sleeves are supposed to work, because it seems to me that they shade the vine and I thought grapes needed full sun. I understand if they are coming from a dormant state and kept in cold storage that they would need protection from the wind and from drying out, but it seems to me that you wouldn't want to leave them on for long periods of time.

I'm so lost with these grape vines. I had hoped others with more experience would be able to give advice, but I'm having a hard time finding answers to my questions. I guess if I haven't seen any new growth by next spring, I'll just dig them out and plant some more.

Comment

Sorry, not a clue here either. I have a grape vine that was in existence when I bought the house. It over shades 1 of my garden spots & doesn't produce much so I hacked the crap out of it last fall. I don't know what it will wind up doing this year.

Comment

The vineyards everywhere prune them back VERY harshly, and they seem to stay in business, so it must work.
          quam minimum credula postero

Comment

It will probably help them, Betty. Everything I have read mentions how important it is to prune.

I took the planting sleeves off of mine today because they were soggy from that nasty thunderstorm we had last night. They were not salvageable. Maybe it will help the vines to get a little more light.

Comment

Working...
            X