anyone else seen this as odd?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone else seen this as odd?

over the last year i have been watching the news of a lot of old steam engines being restored and able to run on the main line. here in NC there are plans to restore N&W611 and soon restore N&W 1218 the UP has a Big Boy going back on line and a bunch of others around the country. my point is a steam engine is 100% EMP proff. just something to think about.

It's not steam powered, but we do have a member on here who has rebuilt some of the old hit and miss engines.

I think it is neat that people are starting to restore the old steam engine locomotives. I am a huge fan of the old engines and as well as the steam power. If the poop ever hits the fans, these projects will be in very high demand.

Tex
    = 2
    sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

I never messed with steam engines but love them . I know some people That are in to antique train stuff . They have a club and rent a couple miles of track and go on rides in the small antique motorized carts that they hauled the repair workers on. Its all heavy and hard work for that hobby. I have read that steam locomotive restoration is going strong. Maybe some people want to be ahead of the game if TSHTF.

Comment

well the Biggest one is the UP Bigboy the biggest engine ever built. I know if the SHTF it would be great to pull big trains out west just like she was made for. The N&W 611 is my fave i use to take my son on weekends to chase her. but i just find it interesting that with all the EMP tyalk all these main line railroads are restoring old steam.

Comment

The problems with steam engines used to be the fires that got started along the way. I can't see that changing, they are, and always have been quite popular at various "old home days" that I've been to.

Comment

I've printed out several simple steam engine designs that could be cast with the "lost wax" method using aluminum, (just in case).
            One such engine runs this beauty:

Or this 100 year old motorcycle:

PS, Season 2 of Revolution: The night the lights went out in Georgia demonstrates this and other things that can be done with steam engines (air conditioning, a bus, most of Atlanta)
            You're still walking free. Enjoy it while you can.
            Homesite: http://millenniummangear.com
            Twitter: https://twitter.com/millenniumgear

Comment

There's a steam engine that runs the tracks here once in a while. I've got a co-worker who's fascinated & runs through the office screaming when she hears it go by (scares the crap out of me LOL)

Comment

I just think it's interesting that the biggest railroads are putting together all these steam engines. I believe that they take the EMP threat to be bigger than we think.

Comment

Could be they are just nostalgic, but being worried about an EMP makes for better conspiracy theories. I would think they would be rebuilding alot more of them if they were truly worried about an EMP attack.

Just my opinion though.

Tex
                  = 2
                  sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

Couple years back, NC Public TV (I think it was a special of the Woodwright's Shop) had a show on using steam power in a sawmill and to power different kinds of equipment. Steam is interesting because it's essentially simple technology and exceedingly powerful. Out here, it would be steam ships that we talked about. They were ocean-going passenger & cargo ships and storms put a few of them in the Graveyard of the Atlantic.

Comment

who is John Galt ?

Maybe even corporate big wigs read Atlas shrugged

DD
                      OH Boy.....did you try plugging it in ?

Comment

I'm just Glad there is more people in the world other than myself to see the need to find keep and restore some of yesteryears technology. They say every thing in life comes full circle. Maybe its time. TFK

Comment

Working...
                        X