No announcement yet.

New Book Idea, ABT has spurred this on.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Book Idea, ABT has spurred this on.

So I've been thinking of another book, just one of the many that pop into my head. But ABT sent me a PM about it and really got me to thinking. I've messed with the idea of a How To survival manual. But not the typical one covering things like friction fires and debris huts. I'm thinking more along the lines of MacGyver meets Morgan survival. This book will be focused on a post apocalyptic survival, whatever the cause. In the event of a full on collapse the trappings of modern life will still be here, I remember reading after one of the major tornados one of the things that slowed the clean up down was the amount of household chemicals scattered all over. So survival through chemistry will be one chapter, think chlorine and break fluid.

Imagine a survivor wandering the wastelands of suburbia and all the crap the average garage holds. There are a number of things you can do with all the stuff left behind from improvised fire starters to improvised weapons. This latter will be another category, improvised weapons for those that find themselves defenseless post SHTF. There will also be chapters on urban trapping, urban edibles, water sources, and sheltering options in a hostile environment. Security in a post apocalyptic world will also be covered.

I know I've used the word urban a bunch, but this isn't solely aimed at those in big cities. Our nation is covered with suburbs and just because the SHTF, they aren't going away and could be a goldmine for those properly educated. I think this could be a really good idea, though it will really take a while to put together, to do it right. I'd even like to have this printed on paper that's waterproof, the format small, so you could drop it in a cargo pocket. A portable reference for when times are really, really bad. There will also be sections on E&E and some other topics less savory if I can come up with the proper info.

I just wanted to see what you guys thought of it, there's a lot more to this than I listed here but you get the idea. So, what do you think?
    I'm drunk tonith.

I think it's workable.
    quam minimum credula postero

Comment

Sounds like a good idea. Sorta has me thinking of "Anarchists Cookbook". I don't even think you can find that anymore in its edited and unadulterated version. It's kinda like Blazing Saddles, the new and politically correct version isn't nearly as good.

AA, maybe we can do some research when we head to the mountains this summer.

Tex
      = 2
      sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

Sounds good to me man, let's see what kind of apocalyptic survival goodies we can come up with. I've heard that big piles of manure can spontaneously combust, hope you don't catch fire before we get there.
        I'm drunk tonith.

Comment

Tex, I knew the son of the publisher of the original cookbook. He told me even his dad said a good number of the suggestions in there were"recipes for disaster" (yes, I can't forget that he used that term). Scumbag was selling info that was hazardous to the "cook," and didn't care. His son had, at least, the grace to be embarrassed.
          "“The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.” – Thomas Paine

Comment

One kinda fun way to find what AA is suggesting is duckducking for "life hacks" or variations on "redneck ingenuity" . There's some gems in those lists.

OK, I foresee some distractions in this research ]project .
            Last edited by AmericanBTGoG; 05-12-2014, 05:54 AM.
            "“The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.” – Thomas Paine

Comment

I think he was leaning more towards using the wife's stocking to replace a fan belt kind of stuff, or using the dirt from underneath the cow barn/compost pile/spot where you slaughter meat animals to isolate chemical compounds that no government on the face of the earth wants you to know how to use, in the same ways they use them.
              quam minimum credula postero

Comment

I heard this one before........... Two days ago when you told mo about it

Comment

Go for it man!! Sky's the limit....
                  Liberty is NOT a privilege, it is a RIGHT

Comment

way back when , out with friends one night listening to the radio and drinking. time to go and the Old Desoto wouldnt start. we checked the battery under the floorboards in the back seat and discovered some very low cells. not having any water we peed in the cells and lo and behold the beast started right up ! Rednecks! who da thunk
                    People without any brains do an awful lot of talking. Don't they?!
                    ~the Scarecrow from the Wizard of Oz

Comment

I think it's a great idea.
                      Daughter of a Ghost Town.

Comment

I've already got a couple of title ideas.

Hey, Y'all Watch This S*%&

Hold My Beer

Tex
                        = 2
                        sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

Originally posted by Tex View Post
                          Sounds like a good idea. Sorta has me thinking of "Anarchists Cookbook". I don't even think you can find that anymore in its edited and unadulterated version. It's kinda like Blazing Saddles, the new and politically correct version isn't nearly as good.

AA, maybe we can do some research when we head to the mountains this summer.

Tex
                          The original version of that book is available as a free pdf download, if anyone's interested: http://ge.tt/40AyPpM/v/0

Don't come crying to me if you blow yourself up!

Kelly

Comment

Remember Field of Dreams? If you write it, we will read it.
                            Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.”
                            Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Comment

Originally posted by Tex View Post
                              I've already got a couple of title ideas.

Hey, Y'all Watch This S*%&

Hold My Beer
                              Tex
                              LOL, those'll go on my bookshelf next to "Hey, That There Wasn't Nuthin'"

Comment

Working...
                              X