Lumberjacking Fun and Antics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lumberjacking Fun and Antics

My buddy just sent me a video of him chainsawing a really awkward tree on his land. I made it into a video for YT

Looks like he got out of the way just in time. Another second and he would have been "Smashed Mountain Man Mike"
    I'm a ding bat & AA groupie

Comment

Hmm. I always thought you notched a tree in the direction you wantted it to fall. I think I would have notched it on the downhill side. Glad he got out of the way. I hate it when the tree just stays put after being cut.
      Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.”
      Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Comment

Another video I shot years ago in Ireland...

Comment

That poor guy will be doomed if his only source of heat is wood. He needs a sharper chain saw or a softer tree. I was wantin' to get in there & help him out, and WatchRyder was laughing at him....poor guy.
          I think he is a

Comment

Originally posted by Gena.KY View Post
            That poor guy will be doomed if his only source of heat is wood. He needs a sharper chain saw or a softer tree. I was wantin' to get in there & help him out, and WatchRyder was laughing at him....poor guy. I think he is a
            At first I thought you were calling the guy in the first vid a dingbat. But I am almost certain you are talking about the guy in Ireland who is WR's uncle, I am pretty sure.

And even though it might look like I might not know what I am doing and that I was in danger I really was not. I almost ways run away immediately after I cut a large tree. I cannot afford to get injured in anyway. Many, especially on the SBoreds just will or cannot understand that.
            And that video was mainly made to entertain the masses on youtube and elsewhere. It is not an educational video. And my source of heat on the remote Wyoming mtn retreat is wood.

I have many thousands of dead trees, most of them dead pine, which I can use as firewood. And I will use 20 or more of those dead pine trees for building the new cabin. I have maybe over 100 dead trees on and real close to my land but I say thousands because there is the national forest and other people's property where I can get much more when / if necessary. I work for some of those neighbors cutting dead trees for their and my firewood. And on the S-boards WR posted the video here and many experts are bashing, even harshly ridiculing the video and me.

I try to explain in some posts why I did cut the tree that way, mainly because I did not want the tree to fall all the way down the mountain. And then it would have been almost impossible to even winch the very heavy ten foot sections I need for the new cabin. It all did work out anyway. Here is that thread if any are interested in seeing, well just maybe see for yourself >>> http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=341780
            Last edited by Rocky Mtn Mike; 03-01-2014, 09:34 AM. Reason: added paragraphs
            Tested in the Wilderness

Comment

I got no room to knock it, I only felled my first tree less than a year ago.
              quam minimum credula postero

Comment

No Mike, I was talking about the guy in the second video. I think his chain saw was too dull. Ash is a hard wood but it still took a long time.

You cut yours down pretty fast.....you are da man!!! No shame at all from running away from a huge tree. No matter how many years you have been cutting trees or how much experience you have....sometimes the trees have a mind of their own and fall which ever way they want to no matter how you notch them or rig them to chains/lines etc. Be careful mister!

Comment

Thanks Gena. Some on that S-boreds also harshly criticized WR's video of his uncle cutting the ash tree. But I have Never had any thread anywhere, where so many criticized very harshly. On that SB group some thought that they were trying to teach or save my life, but too many were very derogatory and insulting and that is never a good way to teach someone.

And after using a chainsaw for at least 25 years cutting many hundreds of trees on and near my mtn place, I think I know how to use a chainsaw, in whatever way I need to. Many cannot understand it but my mtn place / retreat or Hold as WR calls it, is sort of a post - SHTF scenario. I build the way I must, using what I have available, be it only logs, rocks or some lumber or steel doors and beams I might have found in an abandoned factory etc.

I always am careful especially on the mtn place since the nearest hospital is fifty miles to the north in Rawlins, Wyoming. I have usually been alone when cutting down trees or cutting up firewood or building logs and poles.

I usually run away from a tree I just cut, especially large potentially dangerous trees. I suppose experts just stand there not moving and still close when the tree falls?

Originally posted by DMH View Post
                  Hmm. I always thought you notched a tree in the direction you wanted it to fall. I think I would have notched it on the downhill side. Glad he got out of the way. I hate it when the tree just stays put after being cut.
                  I always get out of the way. The way I cut that dead tree might not have been perfect as so many "experts" on the Sboreds love to tell me but it was the only way I could cut it. And being filmed likely made me nervous, in somewhat of a hurry and I was trying to get it cut fast for the video. The things I do for the net, not just this group but for several groups and WR's vast youtube audience also.
                  I would have taken much more time if by myself and even used a wedge etc.

I had wanted the tree to fall in the direction I cut the notch which would have put the large tree into the 20 foot hole I and WR had dug for the new cabin. And I had a strong logging chain and several strong wires also to make sure that large 2 foot wide tree did not fall all the way down, maybe 100 feet down, the mountain which would have made it Very difficult to winch back up the mountain.

I spent the next 3 or so days winching the ten foot sections of that large dead beetle killed tree, almost 30 feet above the hole and then winching two of the largest 10 foot sections into the hole as seen in this one pic.

I am so disgusted and sick and tired of being ridiculed, "corrected" even bashed many dozens of times since 2009, mainly on the S-boreds that I likely will not create anymore pic / video threads. WR can make them especially this next summer when he is supposed to be up there all summer building a cabin or two and likely he will finish the large gate which is at the beginning of my driveway.

I should just post in this good group. I am not on the net much though and all winter I have depended on this McDonald's with its free wifi. In a couple days though this McD's will close and a new Super McDonald's will be built in its place here in the stinkin city = Greeley, CO. I will likely ride a bike to a library that is a couple miles away but not too often.

It is much easier and saves me Many hours just to post the link to my new photo site. People can see the pics for themselves and hopefully will understand most of them. I do show a new structure over a large 5th wheel RV that a new neighbor placed on his land across the private dirt road, from my place. I helped him and another guy sometimes there were 4 of us but I helped him for 5 days with getting paid only one beer a day. Not too well paid until on Labor Day 2013 he did use his huge GM 4x4 truck to push the black vehicle that is shown in the pic site. Sorry no descriptions on the pics. No time or motivation to do it and I just created that pic site to get the links to put in a pic thread and not for others to view. Here is that pic site for the few who are interested > http://mmmike.imgur.com/all/

I also show in one pic an olive drab vehicle that I saw in Saratoga, Wyoming. That military type vehicle has been parked there in downtown Saratoga for several years and I think a store or bar owner owns it. >

I also show the completed green roofed lumber structure we built over the large RV and I also show my "crude" lumber garage I built by myself over the black SUV that I had to leave up there all winter since the transmission went out.

The crude lumber garage I had to build in 4 days in a foot of wet heavy snow, hiking a mile one way each day from my blue pickup truck near the state highway 70 to my mtn place. >

Above is the way I had to leave the black SUV and hope there would not be a winter with record breaking snow pack.

The pic right above is of the back of the "garage" - lumber covering over the black SUV that WR called the Wolverine. I think the snow at least the first few snow storms will easily slide down but then it will pile up. They are flexible plastic panels I obtained for free so no big deal if they get crushed. There are 3 hardwood boards seen under the gray panels and I doubt those boards will break, unless there is 20 or so feet of snowpack. Usually no more than "only" 10 or 12 feet of snowpack by April.

I do not want the Wolverine to get crushed or have any of the windows break though. I used all the materials, 2x4's and 2x6's I could find in the foot of snow that late October week of 2013. I also had bought 20 new 2x4's and had covered them with a large plastic tarp just before the foot of snow so I was fortunate and barely had enough to build the garage.

That is the way up there and if I have barely enough it is much better than not enough to build with etc.

If anyone has any questions about any of the pics or what I just wrote please ask and I will eventually answer. later MMM
                  Last edited by Rocky Mtn Mike; 03-01-2014, 10:07 AM. Reason: added pics
                  Tested in the Wilderness

Comment

That sucks about the transmission going out. We need to rebuild a transmission for a barbie car (Miata, too small to get groceries into, no room for people or gear.)
                    quam minimum credula postero

Comment

Thanks again for building the Wolverine a new home Mike!

I may have to scrap it though, unless there's someone nearby that won't rape me on the repairs...

Comment

Working...
                      X