Death Valley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death Valley

Well, I guess it is time to start a thread about the yet to be farm (, , , ). I ordered 25 chicks last week and they arrived in the mail today. I know Tex keeps telling me not to name them but......

AD arrived DOA, but probably just as well!

There is one black chick with a white crown, so obviously I had to name him Tex. I am pretty sure he is the lone rooster that was included for free. Well, poor Tex and red (yes, one of the chicks is a reddish color) have been quarantined and are not expected to make it through the night (I sound like Vincent). They are both in their quarantine box complaining! Good thing they actually sent 27 chicks and not 25.

Oh and Jasper gave them a warm welcome! Here he is picking out which one he is going to eat first.

So many choices!.jpg

Next post will be the jiggity jaggety fence.
    NICHEVO

That is great Nichevo. I am happy to see that you are getting the homestead going. If you have any questions or need any help, just ask.

Congratulations

Tex
    = 2
    sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

Glad to see you started your thread. Its going to be scary starting out, mistakes will be made, but you are on your way to be self sustaining. Better to learn now, then when your life depends on it. Looking forward to more pictures!
      Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.”
      Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Comment

If Jasper could type, I have no doubt that he'd tell us how excited he is. Congrats!
        Defund the Media !!

Comment

Being the tough old bird that he is, Tex survived last night and is now hopping around with his chick harem. But the chick is just to cute to saddle him with that name so I renamed him Mr. Buttons. Poor Red is still struggling to survive and it will be a miracle if he makes it through another night.

Anyone know what kind of chick this could be?

NICHEVO

Comment

Is he just fluffed up because it's too cool away from the lamp, or do the fluff on the head stand up quite a bit?
            Last edited by W.Lynn; 02-26-2014, 12:36 AM. Reason: Don't forget jiggity-jaggety fence pictures in all the chicken excitement!
            quam minimum credula postero

Comment

Ok, Back yard chickens for a maybe win.

Possibly "White-crested Blue Polish" or "White-crested Black Polish" chicken. I guess it's easier to tell as they get more of their adult look.
              quam minimum credula postero

Comment

Nichevo, I was telling the Hostile Native about your chicks and then the questions started. Did you give each of them sugar water and did you teach them how to drink? She said that you sometimes have to use your finger to mimick a chicken pecking to show them where feed and water is. She also said that if you have any questions at all to call and she would try to help you out.

Good luck and have fun.

Tex
                = 2
                sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

R.I.P. Red

Despite heroic medical efforts, Red lost his battle against death. Following family wishes, his heat lamp was unplugged at 9 AM this morning and Red took his last breath about two hours later. Due to the suspicious nature of his sudden illness, an autopsy was performed. The autopsy found Red’s death to be caused by the ingestion of GMO corn tainted chicken starter. The government has been charged with Red’s murder, but Eric Holder has refused to prosecute as he believes the government is above the law.

This evening, Red was placed to rest at an undisclosed grave site. The funeral was attended by a small group of family and close friends. His best friend Jasper had to be dragged away so distraught was he at the loss of his friend tasty snack.

Red is survived by his brother Tex (a.k.a Mr. Buttons). In lieu of flowers, donations should be sent to the following address to help fund the fight against GMO foods:

Tex
                  Cowpoke Ranch
                  Gillette, Wyoming
                  NICHEVO

Comment

Tex, Yes I did give them sugar water and teach them to drink. I just think the one way trip in a cardboard box was just too much for some of the chicks. They were very cold when I got them as all 27 chicks were huddled in about 1/3 of the box. I don't think I'm doing too bad as I did nurse Mr. Buttons back to health and only lost one chick so far. Thanks for the offers of help, I really appreciate it!
                    NICHEVO

Comment

Loved the obit. Make sure you watch those chicks for a couple days for pastey butt. Sometimes they plug up.

Comment

I am so sorry for your loss Nichevo. May you keep his memories close to your heart. He was a good little chic.
                        I'm a ding bat & AA groupie

Comment

...don't know if it was mentioned but make sure they don't get pasty butts-that will kill them. Just keep an eye on their behinds and if they look gunked up get a warm rag and wipe them to see if they are plugged up. Good luck on the little chicks!
                          Daughter of a Ghost Town.

Comment

Sorry to hear of the loss Nich, but glad to hear that the rest are doing good.
                            Defund the Media !!

Comment

Mr. Buttons, the most recent victim of the Knockout game, passed away February 27, 2014 from internal injuries and a broken neck. Earlier that day, Mr. Buttons was hanging with his peeps when he was violently attacked. The incident was caught on video, and after sending out an all point bulletin, police were able to identify the perpetrator of the heinous crime.

Last night, Jasper Rhodesian Ridgeback was apprehended as he was leaving a local convenience store. Police report that they had to ambush Jasper as he exited the store because they were suspicious of the bag he was carrying. Police said they were “forced” to Taser Jasper because he resisted arrest. During the scuffle, Jasper dropped the bag which contained a bag of skittles, an Arizona Watermelon Fruit Juice Cocktail and a bottle of Robitussin. There was no gun in the bag as originally suspected. Jasper was then forcibly taken to the local hospital where he was x-rayed and probed. When no gun was found, he was taken to another hospital, and without his permission, a colonoscopy was performed. Surprisingly, no gun was found so he was taken to the police station for interrogation.

During the police interrogation, it was discovered that Jasper was abandoned by his parents at a very early age and was abused while at the foster care facility he was placed with. However, further investigation revealed that Jasper couldn’t be held accountable for his actions because, since being adopted, he has been the victim of Affluenza. In lieu of being prosecuted, he will be sent to the Red Rover Retreat to undergo extensive therapy and rehabilitation.

Last edited by nichevo; 03-01-2014, 12:11 AM.
                              NICHEVO

Comment

Working...
                              X