Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Fish

Hey ya'll

Just touching base and saying hello. My names Troy. I'm a mechanical engineer (plumbing/mechanical) husband and father of 3 teenagers

Like many of you I see in the welcome center.....I've never been a reader.

After getting to know my neighbor over the last 4 years he came over to the house with "Going Home"

That night I sad down on the couch next to my wife to read for a book for the first time in my 41 years. She was shocked. HAPPY...but shocked. She too picked up a book she had been reading and we sat there in silence for HOURS. When she finally broke the silence Morgan and Thad had just dropped Jess off and heading in separate directions.

One thing I learned from that night of (to me) Marathon reading, was that after having glasses for driving for 11 years (Nearsighted) I'd come to the tragic realization that I needed some cheap 1.5x CVS readers.

not being one to EVER let me go without something I thought I needed my wife made a stop at CVS and picked me up a great pair. The next night I devoured another chunk of "Going Home"

After the weekend I returned "Going Home" in hopes that he had "Surviving Home". I was pleased to learn he had all three! And in no time I was into book 3.

It only took a weekend to plow thru book 3 and learn there was NOT a book 4 (yet)

Throughout the years I've NEVER understood why people get so excited about a new book (harry Potter...hunger games....etc) I always thought it was pretty lame. But yet...here I find myself jones'ing for the ink to dry off the presses for book 4.

AA.....you've created a monster! Take that as a compliment! No writer or subject has EVER held my attention, kept me guessing (I can usually see the most shocking things coming from a mile away) and made me as anxious as you have.

thanks for putting this series out! Not really sure how to say it without sounding like some co-defendant heroin addict...but well that's about the only way to describe it
    Last edited by CasterTroy; 12-12-2013, 06:43 AM.

Hiya Troy, welcome to our little piece of virtual paradise, aka the looneybin... There's alot of great people on here. Good to have you aboard.. Jump in and get yer feet wet!!!
    Last edited by Patriotmuso; 12-10-2013, 08:21 PM.
    Liberty is NOT a privilege, it is a RIGHT

Comment

Hi Troy. Welcome to our world. Yeah AA hooked us all on his books as well, but by doing that he has singlehandedly brought together a group of people who have become a family. It's a great place to share your stories, ask your questions and just be with like minded people.
      Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.”
      Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Comment

Troy welcome. Sorry to hear about the Mechanical Engineering thing. Would not wish that on anyone

Comment

Hi Troy.
          I am a 41yr old / welder. I have cussed engineers quite a few times throughout my career as a welder, but I won't hold you personally responsible for every dumb move I have to do on the engineers say so, only to have to go back and do it right later. HaHa.

We are glad that you decided to join up. I urge you to read through some of the different threads on here. You wil find that we tend to cover a wide range of topics. There is alot of experience and knowledge represented on this board and we are all here to help each other learn new ways to be better prepared. With your engineering background I'm sure you will have a lot to offer. Don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have. We don't have trolls and know-it-alls like alot of other online forums. Our main goals are to simply help each other to become better prepared for whatever may come.

Feel free to jump right into the fray. We look forward to getting to know you better.

Tex
          = 2
          sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

Hello Troy ,welcome to the place to be .
            This place is packed with smrt people that care about this country and the people on this board .
            So much to learn and so little time .
            good luck and welcome .
            DD
            OH Boy.....did you try plugging it in ?

Comment

Run and hide, it really IS a looney bin here.

And welcome, hope you like it.
              quam minimum credula postero

Comment

Welcome from New Mexico. What kinda bikes do you enjoy?
                Defund the Media !!

Comment

Hey Troy, glad you took your neighbor's advice! I always like hearing stories like that, hang out here long enough and you'll find out the back story on the books. That in and of itself is an interesting story. Glad to have you, don't hesitate, jump in and share your thoughts.
                  I'm drunk tonith.

Comment

welome Troy, great folks in the "looney bin"

Comment

Welcome Troy if that is your real name and not some DS infilltrator. LOL May I have a nother helping of paste now?
                      If you heard the shot you weren't the target!

Comment

Welcome Troy. Just repeat after me; "My name is Troy and I am an Angery American Addict"! Congratulations, you have taken the first step in the 12 step program to recovery. Jump in, no one bites (well except maybe Tex, AD, kickstand, Kessler and.......)
                        NICHEVO

Comment

Originally posted by Tex View Post
                          Hi Troy.
                          I am a 41yr old / welder. I have cussed engineers quite a few times throughout my career as a welder, but I won't hold you personally responsible for every dumb move I have to do on the engineers say so, only to have to go back and do it right later. HaHa.
                          Hat's off to you my brother! My DREAM job would be a fabricator/welder/maker of badass things. I'd love a shop with jigs, and rollers, and hammers (basically Jesse James) but I know the career of a welder (and his eyesight) are shorter lived than most any other profession (besides food [poison] tester for kings)

Maybe I can gain a few points here with some of you with this....I started fresh outta college in '95 but by '05 was tired of having project managers, welders, installers sit across from the table at job meetings telling me I didn't know WTH I was designing and "$#!+ don't go IN that way" so I left my design firm and went to work for a contractor. I was a project manager and estimator with about 30 guys under me. One of which was a welder. A damn fine welder. who became one of my best friends.....I learned a thing or 12 from him as well as the other guys. Like how to jump in a ditch and use a sharp-shooter to dig under an existing sidewalk to install sewer piping to a oil separator. I got to experience the "WTF was that dum@$$ engineer thinking" in the field and cussed a few myself, earning a special place on the OTHER side of the table at job meetings, where I once questioned an engineers need for testosterone and maybe a blue pill to remind himself he didn't have a hooo-ha under that dress.....this won me favor with my contractor colleges but I lost the battle with the PE on the job. After 3 years of that I jumped back on the design wagon and joined a huge firm out of DC...that was about the time the bottom fell out, our dictator and chief was elected, and the growth of our country was stopped faster than a redneck passing a bikini car was. Our office was trimmed from 260 down to 60 and since I was a newbie....well...that was at 10am on a snowy friday, but thankfully by 1pm that same day I had my OLD job back at my firm I started with in '95. So I returned with a field edumacation, big city experience, and a whole new respect for the guys that have to stuff all my crap into the cavity some arrogant architect calls "space"

Originally posted by kickstand View Post
                          What kinda bikes do you enjoy?
                          I have a deep respect for ANYTHING 2 wheels...In fact, from 2000 till about 2006 I was one of the admin's at both www.sportbikes.net as well as www.cycleforums.com, as well as www.triadmotosports.com until Vertical Scope came and bought all the motorycles forums and made them into ghost towns.

I've logged time in the saddle of about everything 2-wheels. I've ridden many a mile around tracks like VIR, CMP & Summit Point on my TL1000R, R1 and Supermotard But I've also chewed up hiway miles on my Blackbird riding to Key West, and up to Canada on my K1200S, to Mexico on my Busa, and have done a few Gulf coast and OBX runs on the R1150RT I use to have. But my current passion is split between my Dirtbike and my Metric Cruiser

My racing days are over (too old....got too many reasons to NOT get hurt any more) and I'm more into long relaxing rides with my buddies that have retired to Harley's now...but I still plow thru the woods like a fool on the dirtbike

Originally posted by Rockntoy View Post
                          Welcome Troy if that is your real name and not some DS infilltrator.

Dangit! You found me out! YOU can call me Cletus....but ONLY you!

Originally posted by angeryamerican View Post
                          hang out here long enough and you'll find out the back story on the books. That in and of itself is an interesting story.
                          Crap....now I get to spend my day avoiding WORK and trying to dig THIS story up! You're really a bad influence (on production) ya know?!?!?!

Comment

Welcome from me to...the resident ding bat & AA stalker/groupie. He can really get to you, waiting on the next installment.
                            Don't be shy, say what you will & we will try not to make fun of you.

I'm a ding bat & AA groupie

Comment

Originally posted by Gena.KY View Post
                              Welcome from me to...the resident ding bat & AA stalker/groupie. He can really get to you, waiting on the next installment.
                              Don't be shy, say what you will & we will try not to make fun of you.

"“The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.” – Thomas Paine

Comment

Working...
                              X