Back to the Basics Charlotte, NC 11-16-13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back to the Basics Charlotte, NC 11-16-13

Today, I will be attending this event: http://www.charlottebacktothebasics.com/ ...I have not been to this event before, and am looking forward to it...

Rawles is doing a live video stream, and several other speakers will be there as well....

I hope to see AA hawking his books!!!

It will be interesting to see the turnout and demographics represented, and I will be taking notes and some pics as well when I do my AAR.... (after action report for the civies)

I am there to get the state of things locally, and to glean whatever nugget/s I can, info, skill, etc...

I am particularly interested in the HAM info, as I am in the newbie stages of that new endeavor, am studying for my Tech and would like to hook up with fellow HAM's....

I also have an interest in solar, would like to get more info on that too...

All in all, this is a recon/intel trip and I will share the info afterwards...

If anyone is going, i'll be the white guy in the jean jacket, multicam ball cap on, that says "Creepy Ass Cracker," on the back and a Sheepdog patch on the front....

PSYOP out....

Sounds fun. You should study for both Tech and Gen at the same time. JR did it in a week with 29'hrs of study. The material is very similar so do youself a favor and study for both. www.hamtestonline.com is what i and a bunch of others used here and on www.preparedham.com ( my site). You will like the tracking features on HTOL to watch your progress.

The general give you 90% of the HF spectrum which is the goal for more than "LOS"( line of sight) Comms.

Comment

I'm not going to make it out there, I didn't know about it until you pm'd me. Their website doesn't give much info, let me know how it goes. Oh, and turn your damn phone on!
      I'm drunk tonith.

Comment

Did not hear about it until last night, would liked to have gone but already had plans for this weekend. Hope to make it next time they have one.
        http://www.nstactical.com For all your prepping, tactical, freeze dried food, first aid, surplus, water filtration, and body armor needs!

Comment

As promised, i'd follow up with some pics and observations about the recent prepper expo held in Charlotte, Cornelius actually, north of Charlotte, and a suburban enclave.

It was held at a nice church, one of the newer/modern denominations, etc. nice campus...

pulling into the lot at 1000 I was struck at the number of newer US/Foreign autos, some trucks, but mainly sedans and suv's...Most of the plates were from NC, a few from GA and one from Indiana...Mainly a local crowd...

I paid my 10.00, hit the show...The main hallway/foyer was lined with exhibits, everything from foodstuffs to kit, Alpaca wool to solar...I like the folks from Carolina Readiness and a local outfit called: Next Level Readiness....

The overall demographic makeup was 100% Caucasian attendees with one black gentlemen as a vendor....The age group was mainly younger to middle age, with some older folks....Several single women, and some men, (with required edc shoulder bags) and several families. I think a typical mix of middle America....

I did not see any Tactical Tommys running around either...

I got the agenda, (see attached) and failed to notice the seminars on the back, duh moment, so I missed the one ham seminar I was interested in....Survivor Jane was talking on the main stage to a fullish house....

At 2pm Rawles skyped in, with a video presentation and talked about prepping as it related to living in the south, with higher humidity and all...He talked about food and gun storage, then went into 30 minutes of q&a....Not much gleaned actually, except to use food grade buckets, mylar and keep firearms lubed up...read his blog, and you get the drift...

For first timers/newbies, i'm sure it was informative, as it should be..

I did spend some time talking to an electrician about his solar set up, that was good, as I am learning more about that, what it would take to get a small rig up and running...I'm going to look into getting a transfer switch installed, to be used with my genie at this time, then possibly solar kit when I get it online....

I did enjoy talking to folks/vendors, and the overall feel was that of libertarian/small r mindset, and that the US was on the wrong track socially, economically, politically and spiritually, no great surprise here...

The fellow from Doomsday Castle was there with wife, (hot) in bdu's, getting his pic taken with attendees...I declined...I do not watch his show and found him to be kinda offbeat and somewhat arrogant, IMHO....He's on tv and i'm not, so take it for what it is worth...

Carolina Readiness had a great display of books and stuff, picked up some for wifey and our own Angry American books were on display too!

So, my takeaway is this: prepping is becoming more mainstream, accepted. Mainly white middle class...All age groups, but i'd say 30-60 yr age group...Lots of newbies, (yeah) and made up of the bitter clingers....

I made some good local connections too, and was reinforced that I am on the right track, my preps are in a good place overall (could always be better) compared to others on average, and that I am not paranoid (well) about if things are going to breakdown, just when and how badly....

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg10.jpg11.jpg12.jpg13.jpg14.jpg

PSYOP out....

Comment

Thanks Psyop, if I would have known about it sooner I would have been there. Their website was really weak and I couldn't tell if there was going to be vendors and all or not. If you hear of another one in the area let me know.
            I'm drunk tonith.

Comment

^^^Will do..I agree, the site was weak.....The folks from Carolina Readiness say hello though.... :-)

Comment

Working...
              X