Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Story, don't know what to call it yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Story, don't know what to call it yet.

Chapter 1.
    Randall woke in a cold sweat, running his hands over his freshly shaven head. This was becoming an all too common occurance; a few hours of sleep, followed by a sudden jolt that interrupted his rest. Looking around the room he saw what had become the usual comforts of life;a rifle, flak jacket, rucksack, flashlight, and boots. For a long time, Randall yearned for a simpler way of things, surrounded by family and people that cared. Although in his wildest dreams he never imagined it would happen like this.

Randall was a prepper, survivalist, whatever you want to call it, but the more he spoke with his family and more importantly his grandmother, he realized that he was doing what people did before it was called prepping, it was common sense.

There wasn't a single event that brought about the war, not an EMP or nuclear bomb. Much like a frog in boiling water, it was a gradual change that was not noticed at first. A little more taxes out of a paycheck, another shooting, healthcare, you name it, all chipped away at things over time until things were too warm to get out of. Thankfully he made it back to his family just in time.

The one thing I am having to remind myself not to do is put too much of the character's personality out there at once. I tend to be a heart on my sleeve kind of person I am using myself and my family as a bit of the foundation of the book. Not necessarily their family structure and experiences, but the personalities will be there.

Comment

Looks good, MOAR!!
      I'm drunk tonith.

Comment

Need moar reeding metarial
        If you heard the shot you weren't the target!

Comment

There is definitely more coming. I just started tonight and wanted to get it here while it was fresh.

Comment

Ok that was a little mean to tease us with that little bit, you are forgiven because I'm interested.

Comment

That's a chapter!!

Comment

Just the beginning of the first chapter. I know, I jumped the gun a little bit in posting that first bit.

Comment

No worries. AA has a long history of prematurely ........... Ah.........um.....jumping the gun, just ask GMPN
                  Last edited by AD; 11-01-2013, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Looks good so far, just don't be so darn stingy next time.. We need a certain amount posted, or some of us can get a little twitchy, lol.....
                    Liberty is NOT a privilege, it is a RIGHT

Comment

Originally posted by angeryamerican View Post
                      Looks good, MOAR!!
                      You seriously did NOT just post that!
                      Pastemistress. Now aka Mimi

Comment

Here is my next bit:

Nudging his uncle Mark awake from the recliner, what had become his routine, "Hey old man, I've got the coffee ready. Let's get out and make our rounds". Still wiping the sleep from his eyes, Mark responded, "old man my ass. I can still outrun you." Randall couldn't help but chuckle as this was his and Mark's standard greeting. "Really Mark, let's get moving. I want to get out on the Snake River today. I know it's a bit of a trek, but I could go for some fish. Hell, we all could. Besides, I want to see if we can find some supplies. Word around the group is that there are a few abandoned houses up that way." Mark looked up at Randall with a look that expressed concern, "you know what happened last time we went that way. We damn near didn't make it back." Randall gave Mark an apologetic look , "cream and sugar in the coffee right?"

Once Mark was up and moving, him and Randall put their gear on and made their rounds. Their neighborhood went through a transformation after everything happened. Half of the families left towards Spokane or Idaho to be with other family, a few were lost due to the looting. After the neighborhood settled, the remaining families consolidated, often with several families in the same house. Since the lots in their subdivision were all at least an acre, they started using the abandoned houses and the land for gardening, and workshops. A lot can be done on 30 acres. Some of the bedrooms and garages even became chicken coops. Things definitely weren't easy, but they were doing ok thanks to their planning.

Mark's brothers Tom and Bill were on guard at the front enterance. Randall tossed them a thermos of coffee. Bill took a sip and shouted at Randall, "damnit kid, you put enough sugar in here to give diabetes to a horse". This caused everyone to laugh. Bill continued "you know I like it black". Mark couldn't help but toss in "you mean like Dad, so thick you could stand up a spoon?". Tom, a man of few words, let out with "Damn I miss that man".

Paul had passed away a few years before things fell apart. A tall, lean man that bear a slight resemblence to Andy Griffith. An introspective man that would give you the shirt off his back. Having already been in a war, his family was grateful he didn't have to experience this one, in the homeland.

Mark looked at all of them reminiscing about his dad and reminded Randall, "let's go finish our rounds. Besides, we have to make that trek down the Snake today." Bill looked at Mark with a sideways glance "You're going up the Snake again?" Mark shrugged his shoulders and sarcastically responded towards Randall "He thinks the fish will be biting and wants to check out some of those abandoned houses may have some worthwhile supplies". Bill jumped at the opportunity to go fishing, "Shit, I'm coming then. I need some new scenery". Tom looked at them all with a laugh, "well, since you three are going to go play Huck Finn, I'll stay back for security."

Randall and Mark took this as their cue to head back to the house and start getting things ready. A trip up the Snake these days was a much more involved affair. On the way back to the house Mark saw a rabbit in the distance. Randall figured one of the dogs would eventually get to it.

The lone crack of a gunshot rang out by the main house and sent the two into a sprint.
                        Last edited by reddawnspokane; 11-02-2013, 08:04 PM.

Comment

And then what happened??? Keep going.......
                          I'm a ding bat & AA groupie

Comment

Need mur damn buk. pleese
                            If you heard the shot you weren't the target!

Comment

More to come tonight.

Comment

Working...
                              X