Cool way to get you ham antenna up quickly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool way to get you ham antenna up quickly

A system to facilitate emergency radio communications from parking lots using lamp posts as antenna masts. Designed and built by the kids of the 721st Mechan...

Holy crap - that is totally cool.

Comment

That is pretty cool. I never heard "5 and 7" as a loud/clear measurement though. I would have called that 5 by 4; 5 being the highest.

Comment

Hopefully I'm not speaking out of turn, but I'm interested in a HAM setup--but really could use an old pro's direction. Anyone able to give me a crash course, and potentially some advise on equipment and usage? I'd appreciate it!

Comment

You need an Elmer, that's a HAM radio mentor. AD's preparedham.com is a nice place to read up on study suggestions (and there's a fair bit of cross over between these two locations.)
          quam minimum credula postero

Comment

Yup. AD and I got our first licenses the same day (that's how we met). He knows a crapload more about ham radio tho than I do.

Comment

Originally posted by Graywolf View Post
              That is pretty cool. I never heard "5 and 7" as a loud/clear measurement though. I would have called that 5 by 4; 5 being the highest.
              That depends on that the noise level is.

Comment

we always assumed the measurement took the noise level into account but 5 was the highest for both. Dunno how you'd get 7 unless things have changed a lot. Kids in the Army now look at me funny when I respond with "5 by 5" for a fully loud and clear signal instead of just Lima Charlie for loud and clear because they've never heard of actually measuring the strength and quality, more than just LC or breaking up.

Comment

Holy smokes! I want one..... sniff sniff........ I mean I REALLY want one.... wow.

Comment

I want a bucket truck 8(
                    and more radios ...and.....
                    DD
                    OH Boy.....did you try plugging it in ?

Comment

that is a neat antenna deploying device. They must have it tuned to the frequency the were planning on testing it with as I did not see a matching device.
                      Greywolf, I grew up hearing 5 by 5, or 5 by whatever or other. But never higher than 5 by 5.

Comment

Angie

Do you have your ticket? If so good on ya. Of not what the hell is holding you up

Comment

I have tried tennis balls with string attached to get a rope up into a tree .

Charlie Brown fought with the kite eating tree ,,,,,,,
                          I have a tree with tennis balls hanging in the branches ..
                          Good thing to use green tennis balls .

Monkey and football .

after I'm done playing ( two hours ) ,I put weighted string through pvc conduit and climb a ladder .

10 minute job to get rope in tree .

17 meter delta loop installed .( home brewed )

DD
                          OH Boy.....did you try plugging it in ?

Comment

I use a large carrage bolt to toss my lines up in trees. It can be thrown very far. And it comes back out pretty easy.

Comment

I was taught that signal reports were 1-5 for clarity, 1-9 for signal strength, usually on an S meter, so a 5x7 report is clear readability with pretty good signal. You'll occasionally hear a 5x20over9, meaning 20db over S9 on the S meter, which says he's either next door or running a heck of an amp.
                              Defund the Media !!

Comment

Working...
                              X