Aquaphonoics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aquaphonoics

This system looks incredibly interesting to me. Basically, you have a pool of fish, and a bunch of plants (I.E. vegetables). The idea is that the fish poo in the water, thus feeding the plants, and in return the fish get clean water. The fish will (hopefully) breed and produce more fish. Clone the veggies, and guess what? An endless self-contained food source (in theory anyway). Fish for protein, and veggies to go along with it. Grains are really unnecessary for humans, as we don't have 4 stomachs like a cow to properly digest them (So say a few "experts", look it up if you don't believe me). For the record, I eat 'em anyway.
    I would also assume you can do this with fruit. The nice thing about aquaponics is you don't need a whole lot of space, or money to do it. I will be trying it in the spring (I hope). Here is the link, and I'm sure there are many more on the subject. There's a short vid in the beginning, then you read. Don't buy anything, obviously, but look on Youtube for free vids and how to's on the net to build your own system..

Liberty is NOT a privilege, it is a RIGHT

There are two commercial setups like that here in LIlewaukee. Perch in fall/winter ( they like cool) and tilapia in warmer weather. One is in a greenhouse - the other is in an old factory. Produce lots of fish and greens. The perch are quite tasty. Wife won't let me try this in the basement. Ha ha ha

Comment

Originally posted by Jstwaiting View Post
      There are two commercial setups like that here in LIlewaukee. Perch in fall/winter ( they like cool) and tilapia in warmer weather. One is in a greenhouse - the other is in an old factory. Produce lots of fish and greens. The perch are quite tasty. Wife won't let me try this in the basement. Ha ha ha
      Very cool... You should explain to her that it will save you $ and nothing beats fresh veggies and fish...... Besides you can grow whatever her favorite veggie is to help grease the wheels, lol....

Comment

This is really interesting, if I can do something fairly compact in my basement I am going to look into it. Thanks for finding that.

Comment

Eclipsebr, do some careful reading up on grow lights vs full spectrum. Not sure which is better, but since you're looking at using a basement, making the best choice to start with might save money later. "Buy once, cry once" applies to having the best choice for the best results as much as it does having to replace things that aren't up to par for their intended use.
          quam minimum credula postero

Comment

I used full spectrum in my younger days when I was growing some.errrmmmm tomato plants, yeah tomato plants in my closet.... Worked VERY well, and didn't raise the electric bill because they were florescent...

Comment

Thank you, Patriot, for being so willing to share your experience.

Comment

Were the heirloom tomatos, Patriot?
                I love me some a dem heirloom 'maters.

Tex
                Last edited by Tex; 10-27-2013, 08:34 PM.
                = 2
                sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

Originally posted by Tex View Post
                  Were the heirloom tomatos, Patriot?
                  I love me some a dem heirloom 'maters.
                  Tex
                  Probably the combustable version. I have heard of those breed of "Maters"

Comment

Aquaponics is on my to do list this summer, I hope to use a 330 gallon IBC tote. And use tilapia and some veggies....I will post pics as I start the project.

Comment

I did some reading and video watching. The RP is interested because he can't live without sweet corn, and he'll tolerate fish because everyone else likes it.

Comment

Originally posted by Patriotmuso View Post
                        This system looks incredibly interesting to me. Basically, you have a pool of fish, and a bunch of plants (I.E. vegetables). The idea is that the fish poo in the water, thus feeding the plants, and in return the fish get clean water. The fish will (hopefully) breed and produce more fish. Clone the veggies, and guess what? An endless self-contained food source (in theory anyway). Fish for protein, and veggies to go along with it. Grains are really unnecessary for humans, as we don't have 4 stomachs like a cow to properly digest them (So say a few "experts", look it up if you don't believe me). For the record, I eat 'em anyway.
                        I would also assume you can do this with fruit. The nice thing about aquaponics is you don't need a whole lot of space, or money to do it. I will be trying it in the spring (I hope). Here is the link, and I'm sure there are many more on the subject. There's a short vid in the beginning, then you read. Don't buy anything, obviously, but look on Youtube for free vids and how to's on the net to build your own system..

http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/
                        Aquaphonoics? You can't spell!
                        Revelation 3:16, Ecclesiastes 4:9-12

Comment

Looks like I might be learning this stuff sooner than I thought. The RP is getting so involved, he wants to sort out how we could buy land sooner. Have to step up the search.

Comment

I saw an episode of Doomsday Preppers and they had chicken wire stretched tight across the fish area. Gross...but the chicken poop would fall through the chicken wire and into the fish pool. The fish would eat the chicken poop. Not sure that I would want to eat a fish who has been eating chicken poo, but if TSHF I'm sure I would gladly eat the fish.
                            I'm a ding bat & AA groupie

Comment

Gena, as I understand it from my research the fish don't actually eat the poop...the pop feeds the algae and the fish eat the algae. Still fish swimming in water with chicken poop...kind weird.

Comment

Working...
                              X