Quest for a new job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quest for a new job

Not that any of the glue sniffers care, I just felt the need to tell someone, anyone and felt the fellow paste eaters, glue sniffers, window lickers and others were the ones to bother the most right now. I have been an EMT for over a year now have been employed by a private EMS company (which will remain nameless to protect the innocent and the guilty) for almost the entire time. The past 6 months or so the company has gone down hill and most of my friends there have been jumping ship left and right, and hopefully, I will be too in the next week or two. Those that remain, moral is so low it's at the point if the company went under and everyone lost their jobs, it would improve. It has gotten to the point that I have a feeling of dread when I go there. It's sad when an EMS service, though private, can barely keep their units running, can barely keep required supplies in stock, and can barely keep the bills paid (from supplies to the fuel in the units and everything in between including mechanical parts) and yet they blame these problems on the employees. The bright side is I just finished phase 2 of 5 or 6 in trying to get on with my county EMS. I will be going from a strait hourly pay with no benefits (no insurance, sick time, vacation, and as of late not even pats on the back or even OT allowed at all) where a starting cook position at Bojangles (for the people not in the south, it's like a KFC only better) starts off making more than someone starting off at my company. I found out recently that the only benefits I could get and should have, they have cheated me out of for the past 6 + months, which is just every 2 weeks to get a few hours off that you can accumulate. If I get hired by the county EMS I will make a few dollars more an hour than the cooks with full benefits (vacation, sick time, insurance dental/medical, retirement ect.), guaranteed/mandatory overtime, plus reliable equipment and units.

Not to say I have not enjoyed my time at the private company, because I have. I have made many friends and gained a lot of experience and have done transport across a couple states, but the benefits no longer outweigh the headaches, and I mean big headaches. So keeping my fingers cross that I will have a new employer in the next couple of weeks. And now back to the regularly scheduled paste eating program.

And quest failed 10/8, this sucks.
    Last edited by jag06; 10-08-2013, 02:31 PM.
    http://www.nstactical.com For all your prepping, tactical, freeze dried food, first aid, surplus, water filtration, and body armor needs!

Private ambulance company not being able to operate properly sounds like beancounter and management problems. (If anyone wonders, it's usually steady work between nursing homes or physical therapy places, and the ER/hospital, because someone is ill or got hurt, good practice for young medics in a civilian setting.)

Good luck on the change, I hope to hear soon that you got it. If all else fails, there's a cool guy here you can talk to, Jared, last I heard he was still the head of EMS in my county.
    quam minimum credula postero

Comment

Waddya mean that none of us care? Hell, we got AA not only a new job, but a new career!!!
      "“The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.” – Thomas Paine

Comment

I guess I need to write a book so you guys can get me a new career then. Maybe title the book, "Dodo are not Extinct: EMS Stories", "Counting Drug Addicts", "Can I Drink My Beer on the way to the Hospital", "Ambulance Taxi", "Free Healthcare for Dummies". So many to choose from, guess I need to start writing. After writing those names, some of them might make good titles, maybe I should trademark those so no one steals them lol.
        http://www.nstactical.com For all your prepping, tactical, freeze dried food, first aid, surplus, water filtration, and body armor needs!

Comment

I once volunteered to write something.

It was the only time I ever had my life threatened by a nurse.

Such warm, caring people those nurses are.

Come to think of it, I had another idea to write about 7 years after that first one, and got more death threats.
          Last edited by W.Lynn; 10-07-2013, 09:37 PM. Reason: Second time wasn't any nurses.

Comment

Good luck Jag. You spend so much of your life at work. It is nice to have a good job that you are happy at. Benefits count for a lot.
            I'm a ding bat & AA groupie

Comment

Jag, I sure hope things work out for you and you can get on with the county. If you ever decided to move, I know for a fact that the coalmines here are always looking for people with your skillset. Your starting pay would be somewhere in the high 20's to the low 30's I would imagine. You would get in plenty of hours with lots of time off to pursue your other interests. Let me know if you would like further information.

Tex
              = 2
              sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

Thanks guys, it's cool to know that if I ever want to move away from the east cost I have some contacts for jobs. I am supposed to find out this afternoon if I passed the practical exercise yesterday which was phase 2. Will keep y'all updated.

Comment

Talk about a kick in the gut, I got turned down for the job.

Comment

The county EMS job???
                    Which ever it was, I am sorry for you. Keep your chin up & keep looking.
                    I'm a ding bat & AA groupie

Comment

Yep, that was the one. Not sure why I did not make it to the next stage. Felt like I did a descent job on the scenario considering it was one that I have no experience in treating. Oh well, the search to get away from the titanic continues.

Comment

Start checking every county near you, I just looked at wilco.org and saw 2 EMS openings. There should be some openings closer to you somewhere.

Comment

jag - sorry to hear that. Maybe instead of a kick in the gut, think of it as a slap to the head because that wasn't the right slot for you.

Of course, neither one of them feel good.
                          Pastemistress. Now aka Mimi

Comment

The worst part right now is that I have to continue working for my current company for a while longer, I am beyond ready to leave that dump. But the next worst part is I don't have any feedback on what I did wrong on the practical exercise (basically put in a room with a dummy and given a scenario and then have to treat the dummy) so that I can do better next time. I have non idea except for 1 thing what I should do different or better next time.

Comment

Jag don't beat yourself up to much. You might have done everything right, it seems like today you almost have to know someone on the inside. They might have already had a candidate that they wanted to hire, but just had to go through the hiring process. The good news is you have a job while you are looking for one! Keep studying your training manuals and keep smiling!
                              Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.”
                              Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Comment

Working...
                              X