Problem Peeling Boiled Eggs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem Peeling Boiled Eggs?

I am 67 (I think) and I have finally figured out how to peel soft or hard boiled eggs almost effortlessly. I've done 5 or 6 dozen this way now and it is the only way for me and I will share my expert knowledge without charge....lol.

Bring a pot of water to a rolling boil.
    Add eggs straight from the refrigerator (yes, cold eggs into boiling water) (old or fresh eggs, makes no difference)
    Boil 11-12 minutes for softer boiled or 15 for harder boiled eggs and 5 to 5 1/2 minutes for soft boiled eggs.
    Remove pot from stove and dump out the hot water.
    Rinse the eggs a minute or two with cold tap water.
    Crack and peel under running water.
    Beautiful clean blemish free peeled eggs with bright yellow yolks (no green or grey yolks)

Now occasionally you will have a cold egg crack (not often) when you put it into boiling water, but they usually peel ok too.
    Last edited by Kessler; 05-31-2014, 04:37 PM. Reason: edited for soft boiled egg time
    Kessler
    I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure....
    INCOMING GUNFIRE ALWAYS HAS THE RIGHT-OF-WAY!

I just seen that I am a 'junior member"! Thank you daddy. I don't know, it just struck me funny................I guess "junior" is better than "limp", huh?
    Last edited by Kessler; 08-13-2013, 02:07 AM.
    Kessler

Comment

Hey Kessler,
      I just saw your post. Yippee!!! You made it here. Now start talkin'
      I'm a ding bat & AA groupie

Comment

I use the same boiling process but I smack the eggs on both ends and then roll them - takes the shells right off. Love them boiled eggs !!

Comment

ive had a hell of a time with the fresh eggs here on the farm. almost impossible to peel after boiling them.
          Whats's that smell? Is that me???

Comment

Originally posted by VINCENT View Post
            ive had a hell of a time with the fresh eggs here on the farm. almost impossible to peel after boiling them.

Don't be so stubborn........try it my way......you'll like it !..................
            Kessler

Comment

Super fresh eggs are known to be more difficult, leave a dozen or so in the back of the fridge to get a week or two old, closer to the age of retail eggs.
              Last edited by W.Lynn; 09-05-2013, 04:16 PM.
              quam minimum credula postero

Comment

Originally posted by kessler View Post
                don't be so stubborn........try it my way......you'll like it !..................
                i'm pretty certain i tryed that line back in my college years...... Didnt work then either
                Whats's that smell? Is that me???

Comment

Tried your method tonight. Wow is all I can say. I have tried every darn fool thing that came along... add salt, add vinegar, start with cold water, freeze the eggs in ice, hatch the eggs first and on and on so I figured what the egg... why not try one more. Wow. They almost peeled themselves. Unreal. Tomorrow is deviled egg day! YUM Thank you Kessler I think I am 62?

Comment

Kess

11-12 minutes for soft?

I eat soft boiled eggs on gluten free bagel 2x week and mine go in for 6:45 for 3 eggs and they come out just a "over easy"

At 11-12 they would be hard as a rock.

Just sayin

Comment

Originally posted by AD View Post
                      Kess

11-12 minutes for soft?

I eat soft boiled eggs on gluten free bagel 2x week and mine go in for 6:45 for 3 eggs and they come out just a "over easy"

At 11-12 they would be hard as a rock.

Just sayin
                      My mistake. I have updated or edited OP to read 5 to 5 1/2 minutes for SOFT BOILED eggs.
                      Kessler

Comment

Ya'll time your boiled eggs? Now why didn't I think of that.

Comment

Well, it's possible to overcook almost anything. I've even seen an idiot put eggs on for hard-boiled, forget about them, boil them dry, and only remember when the smell of burnt shells got to them. I suppose if you were very, VERY hungry, they may have still resembled food.

Saw the end result of distraction when someone did the same with tea once (they were in the habit of putting the tea bags into boiling water.) The smell was ... indescribable.
                          quam minimum credula postero

Comment

I fill the pot with water and eggs bring to a rolling boil, I pull the pan off the burner and let set for no more than 10 mins then rinse in cold water and peel.

RD
                            Sometimes I wrestle with my demons, other times we just snuggle.

Comment

My flock has a few hens that lay blue eggs. Americanas. Those eggs peel easily no matter what. The rest of my hens lay eggs that that are better fried or used for other purposes. I just keep those blues to the back for boiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X