Warrior Poetry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warrior Poetry

This hung in a frame in the hallway of my father’s house for as long as I can remember. I do not know if it was my fathers or my grandfathers. All I know is that every morning before my father left the house he would glance at it and go about his day. Since his untimely death it has hung in my house. I don't know why but reading it reassures me. I do not know if it has a name but I believe they are words to live by.

So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life. Seek to make your life long and its purpose in the service of your people. Prepare a noble death song for the day when you go over the great divide.
    Always give a word or a sign of salute when meeting or passing a friend, even a stranger, when in a lonely place. Show respect to all people and grovel to none.
    When you arise in the morning give thanks for the food and for the joy of living. If you see no reason for giving thanks, the fault lies only in yourself. Abuse no one and no thing, for abuse turns the wise ones to fools and robs the spirit of its vision.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home.

Tecumseh

This year while surfing the net I found this poem and it too hangs in my hallway.

A Warrior’s Open Letter To Death

Dear Grim Reaper, I’d like to warn
    That I won’t run like most
    I will not flee, I will not hide
    This is not a proud boast

It’s not a threat or challenge
    Just a promise what’s to come
    When we are face to face, this Warrior
    Will not succumb

To fear, to doubt or regret ‘cause
    For years I have now walked
    The path that so many have only
    Dreamed and wished and talked

I know you wait until some are
    Breaking down and quite old
    Know regardless of my grey
    I’ll always be this bold

Come for me while I’m still strong
    In muscle and in mind
    Come for me before my ears
    Go deaf and eyes go blind

And though the outcome’s definite
    I only have one goal
    When I do battle with you, it’s
    To exact a great toll

I do not doubt your victory
    But I assure one truth
    If you come for me while I am
    Still in my years of youth

When you are finished, you will have
    To stop and take a breath
    You’ll know it was a Warrior
    That has just battled Death

See you somewhere down the road
    On that cold, lonely night
    I’m not afraid for I know it
    Will be my last good fight

Miro

For All Warriors,
    They do not have to be soldiers.
    They can be either Man and Woman,
    Old or Young,
    As long as their lives touched and enriched this world,
    These are Warriors in my eyes.
    "I leave for the guidance of other revolutionaries, who may tread the path which I have trod, this advice; never treat with the enemy, never to surrender to his mercy, but to fight to a finish."
    Eamonn Ceannt

Warrior Poetry

Thankyou, Hound. A good parable on how one should live their life. I enjoyed the poem as well. It is too bad that having the heart of a warrior is taboo in this day and age.

Although I don't care for all poetry, I do enjoy certain kinds. This thread should he required reading for young men venturing out into the world. They should know that having compassion and the fire of a warrior can be synonimous.

Tex
    = 2
    sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

Warrior Poetry

I gave my now 18 year old son the Art of War. He loved it. He believes in the ancient customs of honor among warriors. History is his passion so that plays a role. So far he has been a very honest young man.
      Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.”
      Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Comment

Warrior Poetry

You should get him a good translated copy of "The Book of Five Rings" by Miyamoto Musashi. I think he might enjoy it.
        "I leave for the guidance of other revolutionaries, who may tread the path which I have trod, this advice; never treat with the enemy, never to surrender to his mercy, but to fight to a finish."
        Eamonn Ceannt

Comment

Warrior Poetry

Originally posted by "Deerhound" post=5094
          You should get him a good translated copy of "The Book of Five Rings" by Miyamoto Musashi. I think he might enjoy it.
          Thanks DH. I just ordered him the book. It definitely sounds like something he would like.
          Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.”
          Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Comment

Warrior Poetry

I have a huge library of the Military Sciences, a lot of them have to do with strategy, tactics and weaponry but I have a lot on Warrior Philosophy of different cultures. (Anything to make myself a better soldier and save the lives of my men)
            If he likes Musashi come back to me and I'll try to recommend a few more.
            Eamonn Ceannt

Comment

Warrior Poetry

Thanks for the tip, DeerHound. I enjoy history and reading how other cultures approached the pholosphies of manhood and that of the warrior. In most modern and advanced cultures of today, these philosophies are deemed archaic, outdated and inpolite or unPC. This thinking, I believe, is one of the major downfalls of mainstream culture. No matter what the educated class wants to believe, we cannot prosper and move forward as a society without both men and warriors. We should enbrace these two iconic attributes that brought us out of the caves, and teach our young boys that being a warrior and an honorable man are things that one should always strive to be. Having no men or warriors ready to fight will be what leads us straight to hell.

Tex
              = 2
              sigpic

If we cannot define a simple word like greatness, how can we ever hope to use it as a measuring stick to know when we have risen beyond average?

Comment

Warrior Poetry

So true Tex and DH. Without honor we are left with men like WEINER! Man is not even a proper word to describe the narcissist SOB.
                Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Comment

As I promised here are a few other suggestions for your son DMH, they are definitely not light reading but they might interest him.

The Code of the Warrior: Exploring Warrior Values Past and Present by Shannon E. French
                  For books on Bushido and the Samurai check out Thomas Cleary he has several on the topic especially; Training the Samurai Mind: A Bushido Sourcebook
                  Shambhala: The Sacred Path of the Warrior by Chögyam Trungpa,
                  Bushido The Soul Of Japan by Inazo Nitobe is available free here; http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/12096

I hope he enjoys them.
                  Eamonn Ceannt

Comment

Originally posted by Deerhound View Post
                    As I promised here are a few other suggestions for your son DMH, they are definitely not light reading but they might interest him.

The Code of the Warrior: Exploring Warrior Values Past and Present by Shannon E. French
                    For books on Bushido and the Samurai check out Thomas Cleary he has several on the topic especially; Training the Samurai Mind: A Bushido Sourcebook
                    Shambhala: The Sacred Path of the Warrior by Chögyam Trungpa,
                    Bushido The Soul Of Japan by Inazo Nitobe is available free here; http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/12096

I hope he enjoys them.
                    Thanks DH, I will pass this list on to him.
                    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Comment

Working...
                    X