cross-species medicine use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cross-species medicine use

I've heard of giving benadryl or aspirin to dogs, and of veterinary staff using their animal-use supplies for people, as well as there being a (somewhat) common anesthetic for people that will generally kill goats - kind of surprised me, I thought those things were immune to everything except chupacabra or bbq sauce.

Any of the farming/ranching guys on here want to tell any of the use/DON'T-use info you've picked up?
    quam minimum credula postero

Don't use fish antibiotics... more on that coming real soon.

Comment

Why not fish antibiotics Unseenone??? I have always heard they are fine, they are made by the same drug companies & are usually in the correct dosage. There are 2 nurses on my other prepper site & they said they are OK. A couple of people on the same site said they have used them before with no problems. Do you think that pharmacy post you posted will give me some real people antibiotics without a prescription? I gotta have them man!!!!

hmy:
      I'm a ding bat & AA groupie

Comment

I asked Pharmer1 to write a short article on fish anti-biotics. A short conversation on the subject kind of confirmed my feelings on the subject. You can get what you need, with a script, legally. Yup, that's the place.

Comment

The fish-meds topic has been beat to death.

I'm more concerned what can be given to the cats, dogs, hens, etc, or if there is any unacceptable risk in leaving the flea soap out where a child in "I can do this!" stages (basically every age from crawling to about 25,) might decide to take their bath with it.

Comment

Well, I for one have not read anything on here on fish antibiotics. I put it on another thread but have always heard they are OK. I am interested in what Pharm1 has to say about them.
            I'm a ding bat & AA groupie

Comment

I know this is old, but I am new so here goes...I know a lot of people that have taken LA200 orally for respiratory conditions. Also banamine in pop as a pain reliever. Also have heard cow penicillin works, but has to be injected, as it is broken down orally. Soooo...there you have it, also I have purchased bulk needles and syringes and suture kits from vet magazines...

Comment

Ohh and I know that the hormones used to bring cattle into heat for AI will counteract hormonal birth control...

Comment

I remember having the vet tell me I could give my old dog baby aspirin for pain, but that was a big dog, not sure what I could give Dyson, if anything. Even most newborn babies are bigger than him, and you can hardly give them anything.

Comment

I had a vet say to give dogs low does aspirin in think they are 71mg...but like you said that was for a 40 pounder....I suppose you cold try splitting it into pieces, but you may not get consistent dosage...

Comment

A lot of the liquid penicillin in farm stores also has lidocaine in it. Lidocaine kills pain but also slows your heart rate so read the package carefully before you go that route.

Comment

Everybody's still being sidetracked, go make another thread!

I need to know what I might have on hand that I definitely could give to a small dog or cat, or use for JA's hens, or if someone asked about a goat problem and the roads are closed, but you solved the same problem in your goats, sheep, calves or whatever, with supplies on hand in the past.

Comment

Sorry W.Lynn, I misread what you were asking so the further sidetrack is my fault. Let me get my notebook and I will list the things we have done to keep lambs and calves alive, I am afraid I do not know much for smaller animals....

Comment

Thanks, I like having all kinds of information! I think I will have to re-do everything I had for dog first aid, starting with a pill-cutter. If aspirin is the pain treatment of choice, I might be able to crush them to powder give him 1/8 or less of one.

Fortunately, bandaging supplies are nearly universal.

Comment

I found this charts online, and you should find them interesting Lynn....hope I can get them loaded.

Comment

Working...
                              X