PDA

View Full Version : Morgans pack list

Rockntoy
04-17-2013, 10:31 PM
Be a good start if you had a list to start with in what he had in his pack to start with. Then we could nit pick thru it and say, I gotta get that! :P

W.Lynn
04-19-2013, 09:19 PM
You'd need two, one from the beginning, and one after Sarge.

Then you'd have to build out a list for Thad, and a second list for his second trip. And the lightweight list o' stuff Jesse was given at the walmart aid-stop.

Rockntoy
04-19-2013, 11:40 PM
Ya, what Wendy said. Need list, lots of list.

Rockntoy
04-19-2013, 11:41 PM
when do I get to be a water boarder?

Rockntoy
05-10-2013, 08:29 PM
No pack list yet. :thud:

kickstand
05-19-2013, 07:44 PM
Hey, Rockn, whadduya say, since you started this, you're responsible for keeping it accurate. What do you say to everyone list only 2 items that was in one of the bags. I'll start:

1. Stripped down MRE's
2. ESEE4

I would say that everyone should cut and paste the list above it, and then add to it at the end.

W.Lynn
05-20-2013, 01:59 PM
Hey, Rockn, whadduya say, since you started this, you're responsible for keeping it accurate. What do you say to everyone list only 2 items that was in one of the bags. I'll start:

1. Stripped down MRE's
2. ESEE4

I would say that everyone should cut and paste the list above it, and then add to it at the end.

For anyone posting from a droid or other phone, it's faster to hit the quote option, then remove everything except the list items. It will still look like this:

1. Stripped down MREs
2. ESEE4
3 Grilliput
4 Poncho & wubbie (I list them together on purpose, if you have one component, you probably have the other.)

Gwynmael
05-20-2013, 08:20 PM
1. Stripped down MREs
2. ESEE4
3 Grilliput
4 Poncho & wubbie (I list them together on purpose, if you have one component, you probably have the other.)
5. Platypus water bladder
6. Stainless steel water bottle

kickstand
05-22-2013, 08:41 AM
1. Stripped down MREs
2. ESEE4
3 Grilliput
5. Platypus water bladder
6. Stainless steel water bottle
7. Maxpedition Devil Dog
8. Heavy Carhardt Coat

Gwynmael
05-22-2013, 08:26 PM
Come on, you're only supposed to post TWO! :p

Rockntoy
05-22-2013, 11:26 PM
Not going to use Morgans pack but my own that I had with me over the weekend. Wife thought it was silly that I was going to bring it along but after this past wekend and with over 8 tornadoes that had passed from close to very close to the house she started to see the purpose of one.
1-45 pistol
1-box 45 ammo
1-6x9 tarp
1-leatherman
1-plastic multi compartment plastic storage container
includes-bandages,tye wraps,matches,small bottle aspirin,small bottle tylenol,fire gell,spare batteries,mosquito wipes,burn cream ace bandage wrap,small instant glue,fishing lines and hooks and some other stuff.
2-pair socks
2-lightweight rain covers
1-knit cap
2-small maglites
map of oklahoma
small pair binoculars
8- energy bars
water tablets
canteen and cup
1-poncho and liner
silver ware
6 inch hunting knife
salt and pepper
tobasco sauce
spare glasses
spare sun glasses
25 feet 550 cord
compass
small grill out of a old bbq grill
1-50 roll small nylon rope
2 55 gallon trash bags
and my 2 meter handheld with a copy of all repeaters in the 3 state area.

This is what I had with me at all times during our trip. She asked me why I had all this after we went thru our first day of storms and I told her the what if story. She kinda listened and we went about our rat killing the rest of the day. Day 2 brought more storms and after she saw the devastation in south OKC she said she understands now why and she wants her own bag in her car. We even went out and picked her up a 2 meter handheld and she will be studying for her license.
After I had broke down each and everything I had she finally clicked on what I have been trying to do. There were so many people that had nothing and did not know where and what to do. I know this is only a good 3/4 day bag but it would substain me and that is the bottom line. I can clean a fish or skin a rabbit if needed but as I see it for now this is all I needed to carry. Yes if the sun blew its wad and stopped the electric flow that this is marginal but a country boy can survive. Might not be pretty but like morgan, there is a way to get things done.

PLA
09-23-2013, 09:24 PM
Im looking forward to see his list in one place.

I have a few of the items in his bad, the take down grill being the most prominent. I did buy the fire bowl, az burns like a shingle factory if it catches and I can bury all the evidence more easily

I know Im new here, but Ive recommended a book for many years from another site Im a member of. It has a low tolerance for the hype and tinfoil as very few others. Anyway, something to look at if interested. Ive given a pile of these books to people I cared about seeing again. Its that good a book.
http://www.usrsog.org/manu.htm

Ive shamelessly stolen my run like hell bag list from this book, the level 3 list is a get home over the bodies bag.

unseenone
09-29-2013, 09:25 AM
Me too! I guess this has been started and neglected...

angeryamerican
09-29-2013, 02:05 PM
It'll get done, when I return from our little adventure I'll make it a priority.

SkiwM1A
10-08-2013, 09:02 PM
http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd435/skiw308/bear%20candy/1488657698.jpg (http://s1219.photobucket.com/user/skiw308/media/bear%20candy/1488657698.jpg.html)
Kifaru.

SkiwM1A
10-10-2013, 01:12 PM
http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd435/skiw308/boonies/boonies216.jpg (http://s1219.photobucket.com/user/skiw308/media/boonies/boonies216.jpg.html)
Kifaru EMR with four external dock'nlock pockets.

SkiwM1A
10-14-2013, 09:46 PM
http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd435/skiw308/wild%20food/1467090639.jpg (http://s1219.photobucket.com/user/skiw308/media/wild%20food/1467090639.jpg.html)
Altimeter, silva ranger compass, ranger beads, face paint, face veils, sunscreen, vaurnet sunglasses, Buck knife, sidearm and speedloaders, water purifier, magnifier and reference books, rations, watch, some of my favorite mushrooms.

Welcome to Wyoming.

angeryamerican
10-15-2013, 12:16 PM
I will be working on that post this weekend.

unseenone
10-15-2013, 09:01 PM
Looks like that Kifaru might be the ticket for me. I'd need that, and Dinkey the donkey. Gena, have you considered coming my direction post shtf?

angeryamerican
10-15-2013, 11:20 PM
You'd need more than one Dinkey.

Gena.KY
10-16-2013, 09:53 AM
Don't worry Unseenone, I'll save you. Now if only I knew what you looked like so I could find you. :wow1:

VINCENT
10-16-2013, 11:51 AM
http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd435/skiw308/wild%20food/1467090639.jpg (http://s1219.photobucket.com/user/skiw308/media/wild%20food/1467090639.jpg.html)
altimeter, silva ranger compass, ranger beads, face paint, face veils, sunscreen, vaurnet sunglasses, buck knife, sidearm and speedloaders, water purifier, magnifier and reference books, rations, watch, some of my favorite mushrooms.

Welcome to wyoming.

which ruger is that???? Drool

VINCENT
10-16-2013, 11:51 AM
looks like that kifaru might be the ticket for me. I'd need that, and dinkey the donkey. Gena, have you considered coming my direction post shtf?

i believe i called dibs on dinkey

Gena.KY
10-16-2013, 12:02 PM
Poor Dinkey, I don't think he would do any of us favors. I had a friend lay his saddle bags (full of beer) on Dinkey's back one time. I have never seen Dinkey move so fast. He took off across the yard at a full break neck gallop, kicked his hind legs in the air & threw the saddle bags off. Guy had to wait a while for his beer to settle down.
I also had a guy who wanted to practice "roping" on Dinkey, I told him no way Jose...Dinkey is just a pet. If SHF, we may have to work on training him a bit better to do some work for us.

VINCENT
10-16-2013, 02:06 PM
poor dinkey, i don't think he would do any of us favors. I had a friend lay his saddle bags (full of beer) on dinkey's back one time. I have never seen dinkey move so fast. He took off across the yard at a full break neck gallop, kicked his hind legs in the air & threw the saddle bags off. Guy had to wait a while for his beer to settle down.
I also had a guy who wanted to practice "roping" on dinkey, i told him no way jose...dinkey is just a pet. If shf, we may have to work on training him a bit better to do some work for us......or eat him

Gena.KY
10-16-2013, 02:57 PM
I don't know about that mister. I'll train him one way or another to get some use out of him before I would eat him. If he does not pull his weight, I'll think on it. May barter him for food & let someone else eat him??

tortminder
10-16-2013, 03:29 PM
I don't know about that mister. I'll train him one way or another to get some use out of him before I would eat him. If he does not pull his weight, I'll think on it. May barter him for food & let someone else eat him??
There just ain't nuthin better than a great piece of a$$!:lol:

:tort:

VINCENT
10-16-2013, 04:31 PM

i'll give you a box of .22 rounds for him. if i can eat him

AD
10-16-2013, 05:10 PM
Don't worry Unseenone, I'll save you. Now if only I knew what you looked like so I could find you. :wow1:

I spent a week with him and one of these are pretty close, you just have to guess which

SkiwM1A
10-16-2013, 06:13 PM
Ruger Double Action Super Redhawk 44 mag in a Galco shoulder rig.
http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd435/skiw308/boonies/boonies202.jpg (http://s1219.photobucket.com/user/skiw308/media/boonies/boonies202.jpg.html)
It is my absolute favorite and most accurate pistol. Anything I hafta shoot with it is gonna stay SHOT!!

unseenone
10-16-2013, 07:12 PM
That's a big help... you got me on that one..

PLA
11-07-2013, 09:30 AM
So, AA, we gonna see this list sometime before Obammy gets sainted or what?

DMH
11-07-2013, 05:15 PM
You can't disturb an artist when he's creating.

angeryamerican
11-07-2013, 11:14 PM
Sorry, I'm tramping around Louisiana right now. It will happen.

Rockntoy
11-08-2013, 12:16 AM
Your at GAY Fest

DMH
11-08-2013, 02:29 PM
He and obummer are hanging out today.

Mr.
11-13-2013, 12:02 PM
I'm not Morgan, and I'm not really into sharing what I keep in my pack/s but I am happy to offer a few recommendations as to what may be handy and what I like. I suppose this isn't the best thread for it, but I don't really think starting a "what's in your BOB" thread is something many would participate in. Or would they? What do I know, I have a pile of raw hamburg for a brain.

Moving on! For a pretty rugged small assault/day pack, Amazon sells a Condor Assault Pack (http://www.amazon.com/Condor-Compact-Assault-Olive-1362-Cubic/dp/B00652GI62/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1384360518&sr=8-2&keywords=condor+3+day+assault+pack) for ~$45 it's one of the many I've used, and abused. It's plenty rugged, but you'd be hard pressed to fit more than 2 days supplies in it. Best suited for a get-home bag or some variant thereof.

If you're into larger packs, albeit at the risk of getting expensive, Hazard4 makes some quality products. This includes their Day Pack (http://www.amazon.com/Patrol-Pack-Thermo-Cap-Daypack-Hazard/dp/B00E5PEOJO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384360730&sr=8-1&keywords=hazard+4+patrol+pack) but at the lofty $200 range I really can't say as any amount of quality makes me excited at spending $200. That's just me. You wouldn't be unhappy with any of their products, once you get past the price, that is. They make a myriad of other options that I find pretty brilliant though, such as their blood-type tags (http://www.amazon.com/Hazard-Positive-Blood-Type-Tactical-Multi-Position/dp/B00889B4NM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384360867&sr=8-1&keywords=hazard+4+blood+type) and sunglasses pod (http://www.amazon.com/Hazard-Mil-Pod-Sunglasses-Multi-Mount-Black/dp/B003YD06TA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384360843&sr=8-1&keywords=hazard+4+sunglasses).

For other addon gear, Condor makes a quality hydration pouch (http://www.amazon.com/Condor-H2O-Pouch-Black-4Dia-Inch/dp/B005LY4SLC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384360974&sr=8-1&keywords=condor+water+bottle+pouch) (attaches to your pack easily) that has storage, allows a bladder and hose to be run through it, and is rugged. It holds a Camelbak Eddy bottle easily, but I suspect you could cram most Nalgene or other bottle-type canteens into it with ease. I like the fact that it offers a pocket to keep your water purification tabs in, if you're into that) as well. No need to recommend those tablets, as I assume if you're here you know what they are and why you want them.

Other things worth keeping in/on your pack IMO are Maxpedition organizers. Morgan states in the book that he's a gear-freak and loves Maxpedition gear. I've got no affiliation with any brands, but I do think they make a high end product. Their organizers are particularly handy. The EDC (http://www.amazon.com/Maxpedition-E-D-C-Pocket-Organizer-Black/dp/B002DAHO0Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1384361127&sr=8-2&keywords=maxpedition+organizer) option is a great all around size to stow some small tools (modular screwdriver set, leatherman, flashlight, batteries, and first aid all fit in there at once easily). If nothing else, you can make yourself a small EDC kit to stow in your vehicle with the bare essentials. Handy. Quite handy.

Knives. These are so subjective that I can't get on a soapbox and say "this is what you want" or "this is why". Try a few cheap options in varying blade styles to see which blade style suits your hand best. On a personal note, I tend to always have two tanto-blades that are partially serrated. I find it offers me plenty of options/techniques as well as strength of the blade (ever snapped the tip off a drop-point?). Personally, I see no reason to spend $100+ on a knife, but that's just like...my opinion man. (reference anyone?) If you want a knife with lifetime guarantees and sheaths and accessories you should get one. Carry what works for you. I mean it. I have found plenty of lesser priced knives that I can buy a couple at a time. Admittedly, they are a 1-2 year knife and I'm ok with that. If your EDC includes a knife you should decide if a $20 Gerber or a $200 ESEE is your preference. Not that there aren't other options as well! Use your head. Carry what works for you.

Lights. Fenix and Streamlight both offer excellent options in many size options as well as battery options. I'm no expert on them, but a Streamlight Stylus Pro (http://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-66118-Stylus-Flashlight-Holster/dp/B0015UC17E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1384361675&sr=8-2&keywords=streamlight) is just a bit longer than a pen and can light an entire room easily while running on two AAA batteries. I know heavy-duty mechanics that use these well past the point of torture-testing, and they stand the test of time. A great light, at a great price. Fenix also makes lights that would make your car's headlights jealous. They will cost a bit more--and to this point I haven't carried any long enough to comment on their toughness. I can only say that every ounce of the Fenix lights screams quality and durability.

What else goes in a pack? Well, you guys know. Aside from this thread approaching the size of the New Testament--I've tried to keep things brief. Here is a quick summary to finish this post off, and probably get me boo'd out of here:

food and water (mre or quickmeals that you *actually can eat*)
*Cliff bars
*Energy bars
*Potable Aqua tablets
*Electrolyte packets
*Jerky
*Oatmeal (or other lightweight easy to create foods)
*Mess kit if you have one (if you dont, you'll only be carrying prepacked ready to eats)

Electronics (that you can physically carry and might need)
*GPS (smart to keep in a watertight anti-static package)
*Spare batteries for everything that requires them
*Chemlights (aka glow-sticks)
*Headlamp! Having both hands free to use whilst doing things in the dark...priceless
*Cell phone if you have/want/need one
++ If you carry a phone, best to carry it in a toughbox/drycase/anti-static and get a spare juice pack for it!

Tools
*Leatherman or multi tool of some time
*Screwdriver kit (with multiple ends)
*550 Cord
*Fire starter

I have to run, I'll come back and edit this as there's still more I'd like to add. Hopefully there's a few useful recommendations in here. Feel free to point out other ideas that should be in "Morgan's Pack" as the thread states. I sorta derailed it a bit...

Apologies!

PLA
11-14-2013, 08:41 AM
Well Mr, nice to get the input.

Personally Ive done decent sized posts about gear enough to cover what I think of Condor and the items Ive had or seen.

I look at gear builders differently than gear collectors do. I look at it and think to myself, would I jump with this tied to me, or would I want this with me when Im in a bomb suit. Like will it survive what kills me? Because I tend to survive shit, and Ive come through things which were eventful, and gear that isnt on the other side of it with me when its over I might as well have not brought at all.

I spend money on a blade that isnt going to chew up my hands like the cheap folders almost always do. I spend on quality for most everything, Im a user, not a collector. If you buy for "Im probably never going to need this but if I do I got it" scenario, then I agree with your perspective.

I buy gear because I WILL use it. And having a pack looking good in the store doesnt help me when Im a long way from the road, every rock thorn and creature in az is trying to cut stab or eat me, and my gear is more problem than its worth because the strap pulled through the stitching or the bottom came out because it really wont carry 4 bladders and the rest of mission gear.

I dont have a get home bag with me most of the time, Im 5 miles from home at work. I can run it in less than an hour if Im not carrying a mountain of crap. I need my house key, maybe 2-3 bottles of water and Im hoofing it.

The rest you posted is a decent setup, AA is a decent writer, but I really dont think he put all of what he said Morg was carrying in a pack and walked it far. Still a good book.

Mr.
11-14-2013, 09:48 AM
Cheers, PLA.

Hopefully I didn't strongly convey the message of "I'm a collector, and if you are too you should get this gear that looks nice". I don't think that's necessarily the point you were making--but I sense from your tone that it crossed your mind in such a way. I was making an attempt at giving a fairly objective round up of some basic gear--while adding in some personal opinion as far as what I cared for or didn't care for.

Personally, I have put a fair amount of gear to the test and through the ringer--although I have never needed something to be with me in a bomb-suit I think there are plenty of practical situations that could be used to decide any piece of kit's value right? I'm personally into hunting, camping, hiking, and other loosely survival-based trips. Realistically, I don't think it's truly considered a survival situation if you've made a plan to go into the woods for X time with X gear and do your thing--so I can certainly understand your mentality of "will this actually hold up when I utterly need it to" rather than "will this last me a few years of rough hiking, or camping?". I'm with you.

Condor/Rotcho and other companies that make essentially the same copy-and-paste type of "tactical" and "survival" gear are not always a top choice, but I'd have to say that they certainly have their place. It's tough to relate every situation to one's experience in the armed forces (be it police, military, contract, etc.) seeing as how that's typically an incredibly intense point that can be subjective to each person--on top of that: the odds are good that a certain amount of the kit you'd carry in those situations is inherently gear you've been issued. There is a wealth of knowledge at our fingertips as far as police, military, and paramilitary gear that's been reviewed dozens (or more) times.

I was aiming to just throw some basics out there for people who may not be ready to delve into the depths of expensive and potentially more advanced kits. I suppose there are tons of places you could dig up information on all of these items as well, so maybe I was making a moot point in sharing experience with them.

The book series is great. Nice-reading novels that everyone can find at least something to relate to. In the first book, Morgan explains that he's a gear-freak and has way too much gear. He spends quite some time sorting everything he has in his car and deciding exactly what it is he wants to take with him. It wasn't an easy choice. I think the point of this wasn't to say that Morgan had everything he could ever need, as much as it was to illustrate that he was prepared--and that was the difference between him and the people he encountered along his way. Also, it's worth mentioning that there were things Morgan discarded as he went--or added as he found them. Just the typical stuff we all end up doing with our packs. Bug out bag, get home bag, hiking pack, hell anything! We find what works best for us, and use it. The things that do not stand out as useful, we tend to discard. I was simply trying to share some things that I have come across in my experiences that just might work for someone else.

Of course you're all free to make your own decisions, regardless of what I (or anyone else) recommend ;-)

Cheers

angeryamerican
01-04-2014, 05:46 PM
Ok folks, here we go. This is the first post covering the contents of Morgan's pack.

It's been a long time in coming and there has certainly been a lot of talk about it, but now we're going to take a look at the contents of Morgan's pack as carried in Going Home. This will be a series of articles as one will not cover it all. I will go into detail about the equipment carried and why. This should be interesting as there has been a lot of talk about the contents of the pack. Additionally, I'll link to a thread on the forum where you can go and follow the discussion and comment.

Before we get started though I want to say something about the pack. The pack is real, as you'll see. The pack as about to be described is not for everyone, but it is for me for the scenario described in Going Home. I am a firm believer in the old adage of the more you know the less you need, you cannot loose, misplace or break knowledge. However, I also believe that having the proper equipment to ensure your survival is equally important. Certainly you can do without, but it is usually easier to have to proper item or tool for the task at hand. Take TP for a moment, you can use leaves, Mullien leaves are one of the finest of field expedient ass wipes, but isn't it easier to carry a small roll?

One of the most common things I hear about the bag is that it would be so heavy no one could carry it. I assure you that is far from the case. Is it heavy? Yes, but there are a number of variables that go into what is considered heavy. What is heavy to you or I may not be to someone else. In the book Morgan has a long walk ahead of him and he knows that he will be totally self reliant upon the pack. Sure he might find some supplies on the road, but he wasn't counting on it. This is one of the primary reasons Morgan set his daily distance goal so low, better to over achieve and gain the psychological boost it would give than to set the goal so high as to be unattainable and never be met.

With that in mind let's take a look at the pack.

Here is the pack all loaded up. The small bag beside the pack is the Maxpedition Devildog. This small bag was discontinued by Maxpedtion and the closest thing to it now is the Proteus. You can see the two quart GI canteen and the one quart, with cup and stove inside the cover. Inside the top flap is a 100oz water bladder.

Now lets take a look at the contents of the main compartment.

In the top of the pic you can see the first aid kit, more on that later, below it is the Goal Zero Guide 10 Plus kit. This is a very handy piece of kit, capable of charging AA and AAA batteries as well cell phones and other electronics. Below and to the right of the Goad Zero is a Sweetwater hand filter. I prefer this filter over some of the others because the filter elements are housed in a plastic case. This makes them very robust, an important consideration when living out of a pack. Beside that is a REI 6X9 tarp with stakes and guy lines.

Next you can see the ENO bug net in its blue stuff sack. This is another great piece of gear, especially for someone living in the woods in Florida. The hammock is in the large green waterproof bag to the right. Also in the bag are two pair of pants, long sleeve shirt, socks and underwear and the hygiene kit. The next item is the Primus Multi Fuel EX stove and fuel bottle. A multi fuel stove in a situation such as Morgan faced would be huge benefit, being able to use nearly any sort of fuel you come across gives the stove a level of versatility hard to deny.

Lastly there is a green bag with its contents laid out, they are: a pair of EMT sheers, a film canister of cotton impregnated with Vaseline, a GI lensatic compass, a small pair of pruning sheers, a roll of heavy wax string, 100' of 550 cord, 2 MRE spoons, roll of trip wire, U dig it trowel and small cloth. The uses for these items are endless and many are obvious, only your imagination and needs will limit what can be done with these.

That's it for today, tomorrow we'll look into the side pouches of the bag.

WisconsinBadger1972
01-04-2014, 09:34 PM
AA,

Nice work describing in detail the contents of Morgan's pack. Very impressive on all counts. However, I just got word that the North Carolina Dept. of Transportation wants you to stop at the next Weigh Station you encounter to make sure you're not over the legal weight limit... :D :D

twicetwisted39
01-04-2014, 10:22 PM
So is morgans main pack a CPF 90? It looks just like mine just in acu..

reddawnspokane
01-04-2014, 10:57 PM
Great description.

White4Delta
01-04-2014, 11:08 PM
Question does this pack have a frame? and is it a medium or large pack?

angeryamerican
01-05-2014, 12:57 AM
Its a CFP 90, it has a frame, as far as size, I guess they would call it a large pack, but half of it is taken up y the sleep system. I'll do another post tomorrow or some of the real goodies.

Gena.KY
01-13-2014, 02:12 PM
This is my get home bag. I am only a few miles from home. I take more if going further. 964[ATTAfigure I canNFIG]964[/ATTACH] I figure I can pull it if I stay on the road. Not telling yall what is in it. A backpack inside a piece of luggage with rollers. I do keep cookies in it.

Patriotmuso
01-13-2014, 03:03 PM
Am watching a 90 on flea bay now....

angeryamerican
01-13-2014, 03:38 PM
Pat, I would look for one of the new Marine Corp packs, they are a lot better in my opinion. One large compartment, they will hold more of the bulkier items like sleep systems and clothes a lot easier.

As far as weight, I know you guys think it weighs a ton, but it really doesn't.

swampfoxmd
02-26-2014, 10:57 PM
Do you have any concerns about storing radios, NVG, batteries, headlight, etc. in your car especially in the summer? Thanks.

The moment the idea is admitted into society that property is not as sacred as the laws of God, and that there is no force of law and public justice to protect it, anarchy and tyranny commence. Property must be secured or liberty cannot exist. John Adams

angeryamerican
02-27-2014, 01:34 PM
The first thing I would say is keep the batteries out of them. I use rechargeables and they won't leak like alkaline ones but it's still a good practice. Even in my safe I remove batteries from everything. As far as temps, depends on where you are. In south Florida in September it could be a real issue, but keeping them out of direct sunlight will help. It's a catch 22, do you keep them with you and risk possible damage from heat or leave them at home and hope you're there when you need them.

swampfoxmd
02-28-2014, 10:41 PM
What is the heavy waxed string for, repairing straps, pack stitching, etc? Do you carry an awl?

angeryamerican
03-01-2014, 12:59 AM
Yeah, it's just a roll of string I found and tossed it in there. I do have one of the awls with spool in it but didn't discuss it in the book so I left it out. I can make cordage out of a number of things and in a primitive situation I can, but man, I really like having cordage! That string is a little bigger than the inner braid of paracord and it's green making it useful for other needs.

It's just one of those things that finds it's way into pack.

Goingbush
03-01-2014, 01:23 AM
A good source of waxed string is dental floss, Its an awesome almost unbreakable waterproof thread and the dispenser has its own spool and cutter.

swampfoxmd
03-07-2014, 10:00 PM
I took the kids to an event 3 hours away in Atlanta last weekend. The Home series has had me thinking a lot about the what ifs of travel. In my car I usually only carry an XDM, a spare mag, and a multitool. For several years I have wearing stout Merrells in case I have to hoof it. After reading Going Home, I decided to take a small pack with a couple of water bottles, a few freeze dried meals, headlight, Kbar, 100 feet of 550 cord, rain jacket, tent, sleeping bag, heavy coat, and a lighter. I felt a little better knowing that I had a few thing to fall back on just in case. Thanks to the inspiration of Morgan's pack, I plan on getting a surplus USMC ILBE backpack and keeping it stocked. I plan on outfitting the pack with gear and taking it with me whenever I travel more than 15 miles from home. That way, I will not have to dig through my backpacking gear every time I travel. I hope I never need it, but thanks for convincing me of the need to keep more options open by having a few resources should I ever become stranded. I am sure our forefathers practiced this as a matter of course, but it seems to be a dying mindset. Again, thanks for the reminder.

MillenniumMan
03-07-2014, 10:14 PM
If you want to protect small and medium sized electronics, think thermal mass.

Try putting them in a styrofoam cooler and wrap the cooler in wool blankets and place those in the back out of sunlight. They'll stay cold. Kind of like a buried steel pipe five feet under ground will maintain a temp of about 55f.

swampfoxmd
03-09-2014, 06:44 PM
Going Home mentioned an "SE5" which sat beside Morgan's driver side car door when the EMP first occured. What is an SE5?
Thanks.

sawyerrt10
03-09-2014, 07:14 PM
Going Home mentioned an "SE5" which sat beside Morgan's driver side car door when the EMP first occured. What is an SE5?
Thanks.

http://www.eseeknives.com/esee-5.htm

swampfoxmd
03-10-2014, 02:23 PM
Ah. Thats one of the perils of audiobooks where you have only the phonetics to go by. Sometimes I miss the paper kind. But I can "read" nearly 2 books a month driving to work and back. Its probably a bad idea to read the paper kind while driving to work.

Goingbush
04-30-2014, 01:38 AM
On Morgans recommendation I bought myself a Grilliput

no mention in the instructions (there were none) that you need to be a member of Mensa to assemble it.

took me a good 20 minutes first time up , and in controlled conditions inside my camper and with adult supervision !! (she laughed more than once) Ok to be fair once I understood how it went together second try was about 5 minutes.

but what I must say is what a fantastic piece of bug out kit , beautiful execution & when packed takes up minimal space. No wonder Sarge had his eye on it.

In the field, assembly should not add any time to meal prep, as I can nut it out while the coals are heating up.

angeryamerican
04-30-2014, 03:51 PM
GB, I used mine this weekend to cook on, grilled a nice trout. Don't know why it took so long to put together, maybe cause you're upside down there in the land of Oz. It is a cool piece though and I use mine a lot.

spartan3659
04-30-2014, 07:35 PM
Monday I'm headed out for training and will be 4 hrs away from home. Trying to pattern my pack after Morgan's. Any ideas other than those mentioned ?

unseenone
04-30-2014, 08:04 PM
Where are you heading? 4 hours by car, is about 200 miles or so right? That's almost the distance Morgan traveled in the book.

spartan3659
05-01-2014, 12:06 PM
Headed to a Glock Armorer School.

AD
05-01-2014, 12:49 PM
You will love it. The best thing besides the "grip" you learn to take down the pistol, is that you get to buy at discounted prices not only parts but guns as well.

Gena.KY
05-01-2014, 02:20 PM
I know you know about water filters. Water is most important, guns come next. Be sure to have a good filter/purifier with you. If TSHF, stay to the back roads and don't forget your map. Just to be safe, you better pack everything but the kitchen sink. Good luck, I know I am always nervous to be away from home.

spartan3659
05-01-2014, 03:46 PM
Got my Katadyn Hiker Pro. Just know I'm forgetting something.

jimmyd
05-01-2014, 07:50 PM
GB, I used mine this weekend to cook on, grilled a nice trout. Don't know why it took so long to put together, maybe cause you're upside down there in the land of Oz. It is a cool piece though and I use mine a lot.

I just received mine as well - very nice - so much more cooking space than the standard hiking grills.
But, have you tried/found anything to quiet the rattle of the pieces inside the tube?

angeryamerican
05-01-2014, 07:55 PM
I've never noticed any rattle. If it were me I'd think a packing peanut stuffed in the top would quiet it.

unseenone
05-01-2014, 08:12 PM
Stuff it with lint, or a spare cleaning rag.

El
05-31-2014, 01:10 PM
So....what's in the side pockets? :littlefriend:

Edited to add: I have several of the Lifestraws in my GHB. These probably aren't sufficient, huh?

Bumper
07-21-2014, 12:23 PM
Is this thread continued somewhere else? The gear included in the side pockets does not appear here.....

kyle_kyle_p
08-15-2014, 10:05 PM
i couldn't find any updates either :(

Concerned Dad
09-01-2014, 08:49 PM
What about a sleeping bag? Mentioned in book but don't see it in the article.

BePrepared533
09-01-2014, 10:56 PM
Sleeping bag is part of the Military ECWS Sleep System. The entire system consists of 1. GOR-TEX Bivy Shell, 2. Cold Weather Sleeping Bag, 3. Mild Weather "patrol bag" by itself good to about 30 degrees F. All three combined are rate to well below zero degrees. In the book, the patrol bag and the GOR-TEX Bivy shell were mentions as were a Military Poncho and the Poncho Liner (aka "woobie"). That's a lot of gear, but perfect in that environment.

Futhermore, used systems in a variety of conditions can be had for $75 to $120. New they are in the $325-$375 range. Sportsman's Guide has similar style but I have not used these and don't know their ratings/quality.

Concerned Dad
09-02-2014, 06:58 PM
Sorry I wasn't clear. I meant I didn't see it in the equipment list for Morgans Bag Part 1 or 2. But thanks for the explanation. I went online today and found one for about $60.

angeryamerican
09-02-2014, 07:08 PM
I'll try and get another post done on the other gear CD, if you have a specific question feel free to ask.

VINCENT
09-02-2014, 07:23 PM
I have a question.

Did I win

Concerned Dad
09-02-2014, 07:27 PM
No specific question just looking for ideas of things I haven't thought of.

kickstand
09-02-2014, 08:47 PM
I have a question.
Did I win

Yes! The grand prize is a broken wrist and damaged ACL. Congrats!

Concerned Dad
09-05-2014, 09:16 PM
Sleeping bag system came today. Just what I wanted . Put the patrol bag inside the bivy. The cold weather bag is to be stored until colder weather gets here.

Wyndigo
09-07-2014, 12:01 AM
Anyone know what all was in the maxped devil dog?

Masshole
09-17-2014, 06:55 PM
these books were the inspiration for my bag..i got the ilbe bag from cheaper than dirt...its huge and comfortable to carry when adjusted...its ready to go

redman2006
09-17-2014, 07:30 PM
I have been curious about those. One thing that has kept me from looking too closely is the weight of the pack itself. I still need to figure out a better bag for the one in my car. 35 miles with what I have won't be fun if I got caught at work.

Sacajawea
01-18-2015, 09:15 PM
Just received my Grill-i-put & firebowl this week. I used to pack for camping on a motorcycle... and this grill would've been PERFECT. I need to pull out all the camping gear soon, and review what we have/don't have.

SkiwM1A
01-25-2015, 04:58 PM
I've taken a serious look at all the posts here and the information about Morgans pack from Mr. Angry American.
Gonna add some polish for all of ya. Details man. Details.
Lemme git to my photobucket account first. May be a day or so.

SHTFCO
01-26-2015, 01:50 AM
IM heading to Chicago for a week but after Im back I will also throw some polishing touches and give a bit of a higher end review on some gear that I think will help people out a bunch who are wanting to throw together a Get home Bag. Only thing I do not have = or greater than is the NVG's still saving for them.

SkiwM1A
01-27-2015, 03:46 PM
http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd435/skiw308/DSCN0399.jpg (http://s1219.photobucket.com/user/skiw308/media/DSCN0399.jpg.html)
The first concern I believe is water. The next is pack arrangement and weight distribution.
Hanging his canteens on the outside of his pack is not a real good idea. Sooner or later they will be damaged or lost entirely and the next concern is the weight issue.
My own experience has been that with the suspension systems on the CFP 90 or any of the modern packs from Eberlestock, Mystery Ranch or Kifaru most of the weight will be on my hips with the waistbelt properly adjusted. My bladdesr are in the inside pouch next to me and very low in that compartment.
The simple physics of having that particular weight real close to my lower back and with an even lower center of gravity makes it much easier to dodge ill mannered dogs, duck under timber or brush, rappel, or navigate uneven terrain.
I doubt Morgan had to ski or snowshoe with his pack but you get the point??

Really important guys.

SkiwM1A
01-27-2015, 04:06 PM
http://i1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd435/skiw308/DSCN0378.jpg (http://s1219.photobucket.com/user/skiw308/media/DSCN0378.jpg.html)
Shelter is beyond important! Now? Don't get me wrong. A poncho, an REI tarp, the bug net and the hammock will work.
I did this many moons ago actually in north west Florida as part of an "FTX" in one of those fun "Backpacking Clubs" so many young men often find themselves in. Blackwater. We were wet the entire two weeks.
NOT optimal though guys. A fully enclosed, water and wind tight shelter with a real high bathtub floor and an additional bug net would serve Morgan much better. Keeps snakes and the rest of the varmints down there out so he can at least get a decent nights sleep.
Super quick and easy to set up too.

kscmac
02-11-2015, 12:33 AM
As both my wife and me are Vets, and have damage to our spines and backs. I am building a roller with a couple of large bike tires to put our packs on, As we both are north of 56yrs old with the damage, packing out is just not realistic. So once I get the the roller finished I will post some pics of it. I hope we dont have to bug out but if we do, the roller will lets go. Sincewe are now living by our daughter and her husband(she knows to be ready and what to do). We would all go together.

Sacajawea
02-11-2015, 03:47 PM
kscmac, I totally agree with you on the cart, being a few years older than you. Aging definitely means re-thinking a lot of tasks, and the smartest way to accomplish them. We plan to motor our way with a very able pickup truck, towing an EMP resistant (and totally beefed up) jeep. May not work out - but from that bit - we can adapt to situations.

I could probably pack 20-40 lbs, but I'm gonna need more than a tarp/sleeping bag on the ground to rest up.

W.Lynn
02-11-2015, 11:52 PM
When I'm tired, I can sleep on bare floor, or a sorta level rock, but prefer some shelter.

Crispy_Prepper
02-28-2015, 07:24 AM
What sleep system does Morgan use? A sleeping bag is mentioned, any idea what type?

angeryamerican
02-28-2015, 08:24 PM
The military sleep system. In the book he carried the gortex bivy and the black bag.

AD
02-28-2015, 09:53 PM
Bout time you popped in

Concerned Dad
03-01-2015, 09:13 AM
Seems like I remember someone saying there was going to be more details about Morgan's forthcoming but I must have missed it.

unseenone
03-01-2015, 11:16 AM
snicker.. :pig:

Boston_Joe
11-18-2015, 03:18 PM
Well, I read Going Home one more time while waiting on the next installment. This time with a purpose. As I went I noted each item mentioned going into or coming out of "The Pack". Here is my shot at the definitive list of Morgans gear. I left off any foodstuff as that changed as he went along. Suffice to say he always had food. So that I could more easily keep track of items I broke things out into categories that made sense to me.

If anyone notices any errors or omissions speak up.

Main Bag (I couldn't find a model mentioned)
Maxpedition Devildog
Maxpedition Rollypolly

Water/Hydration
Sweetwater filter
Water Purification Tabs
1 quart Stainless Water bottle
2 quart canteen
2 liter Platypus bag

Food and Prep
Esbit stove
Stove tabs
10" square leather pot holder
Large MSR pot
Folding spoon/measuring cup
1/2 Scrubby
Small bottle cooking oil
Small Bottle dish soap
Cup Stove
Primus Multi fuel EX stove
Bottle of compressed gas
Bottle of white fuel
Grilliput
Small Cutting board 10x12
Seasonings

Clothing
Carhartt coat with arctic lining
Bellville Boots US issue Got-tex w/vibram soles
Merrell shoes
TrueSpec pants (2)
Skivvies (2)
Socks (2)
T-shirt (2)
Poncho (GI)
poncho liner (Woobie) w/stuff sack
Chore Coat
Columbia PFG fishing shirt (2)
Merino Wool Socks
Bandannas
Leather work gloves w/poly pro liners
Buff

Shelter and Bedding
Sleeping bag
Foam sleep mat
Eagles Nest Outfitters Hammock, Slap Straps and Bug Net
6 x 9 tarp and Rigging Figure 9s

Fire
Butane Lighter
Swedish Fire-steel

First Aid
Wilderness Outfitters SOS kit
Latex Gloves

Hygiene Kit
Toenail clipper
Tooth Brush
Tooth paste
Q-tips
T/P
Military permethrin clothing treatment system
Razor
Soap
mirror

Tools
ESEE4 knife
Knife field kit (Rust eraser, 4"Diamond hone, DMT fine diamond card and fine deramic tri sharp)
Channellock pliers
Leatherman Surge
U-dig-it trowel
Uncle Henry Folding Knife
Pruning Shears
Pack cloth

Lighting
Xenon flashlight
Spare CR123 batteries
Glo-Toob lithium Light
Enigizer Headlamp

Comms/NAV/power
GP-L4 radio - County Comm
Sylvia Compass
Map
Ranger Beads
Goal Zero Guide 10 Plus Kit
Watch - Armitron Automatic

Self Defense
Springfield XD .45 w/2 spare 13 rnd mags of Hydra Shocks
50 round box of Hydra Shocks
50 round box of Winchester White Box Ball
Otis tactical cleaning kit
Roll of trip wire

Misc
Para-cord
Steiner Predator Binoculars
Pulsar Edge GS20 night vision

Klein linesmanís pliers - Left outside of Lamont
10 in 1 Screwdriver - Left outside of Lamont

Other items mentioned from his Personal Survival Kit
Water Purification Tabs
Coil of wire
Small Fire Steel
Section of hacksaw blade
First aid items (not sure if this is a repeat of the FAK)

IronWarriors3/354
11-19-2015, 01:33 PM
Wow that's a whole lot of stuff to carry. But covers any situation one would find himself in pretty well.

Cannonball
11-19-2015, 02:09 PM
One question I had the couple times I read it is that the first mention of the ESSE is a 5 then the rest of them in the book is a 4. I thought it a bit duplicative to have the ESSE 4, th ESSE 5, and the Gerber hatchet

redman2006
11-19-2015, 02:11 PM
Headed 1/2 of the way across the nation tonight and tomorrow. My winter pack is about 55lbs without water but with a week or more of rations. The dog is going as well, and has its own pack with food and a few necessities.

If anything did happen, I would gut my duffel and add to that weight likely. I may also pull a few things out of that pack that are designed to use should I have to stay with the car.

Wife and friends think I am nuts. I keep looking at our current political environment and think they are nuts for thinking that they do not need it. Actually, the wife understands, but is somewhat complacent. .

One thing I would like to have is a Keltec sub2000 for Glock mags in 9mm to add to the kit. I feel much more comfortable with a rifle in my hands that a pistol.

It is interesting to compare my list to his list. Some things are really different, some are almost identical.

BTW, did you add the radio in that Sarge added? Then there was the carbine after he was there and.....

I grew up in an area where two teachers were driving and had an accident in is snow storm. The snow storm turned to a blizzard. Over a week passed before they were found, but they survived because they kept their heads. It stuck with me as a kid. Growing up we always had a "winter" kit in the car. Back then it was to tough out a storm and stay with the car. today's threats have changed, and walking home could be a possibility.

BTW. I think he was using a MOLLE 2 pack, but I am not sure. FWIW the FILBE is pretty darned comfortable if they ever get surplused.

redman2006
11-19-2015, 02:29 PM
Cannonball,
I have several knives in my possession when on a trip like this. My folder in my pocket, a cheap mora and a Swiss army knock off that stays in the car at all times. A larger fixed blade in my go bag, and a leatherman with a couple of blades. If it is a hunting trip, there is my user fixed blade as well. Now, if I had to walk, some of that may not be going with me. But if I could carry it all easily, absolutely it is coming.

His stove selections are more redundant than mine. I have a little "gassifier" stove that works well with a triagia or home made white box style stove and lets me use alcohol, wood, grass, etc. As well as esbit type tabs all on the same stove. Cheap, easy and that way I can have one in each car or pack or whatever. It is affordable and versatile. And as a plug for NSTactical here in this forum, I now have an "eternal match" to light it all, along with more traditional means, assuming I do not catch myself on fire again. <G>

W.Lynn
11-19-2015, 03:19 PM
I didn't realize how heavy my backpack is until last night, while dad quizzed me on how long I've had the cane I was carrying, he also asked me if my duffel was all I had. When I slid the backpack off my shoulders to put in his truck, he took it from my hands and I warned him, "that's the heavy one." I think it surprised him, I'll try to remember to weigh it before I thin it down.

redman2006
11-19-2015, 03:33 PM
I am curious what yours might weigh.

Cannonball
11-19-2015, 03:46 PM
Here is the second mention of the ESSE. I don't think the pry bar ESSE 5 is ever mentioned again ...

redman2006
11-19-2015, 04:05 PM
LOL. That 5 is a pry bar. That thickness in a 6 plus inch blade makes sense, but it is too much IMHO for that short of a blade. Just me. The six or laser strike are my favorites of the bunch. They make great knives, but the coating has so much texture to it, I can never get them clean enough in the field to feel good about using them for food after other chores.

Cannonball
11-19-2015, 04:09 PM
I have a Laser Strike in my GHB and an Izula in my EDC :)

oh and a Becker BK2 "sharpened pry bar" in the truck :)

I just wasnt sure if in the book Morgan had both?

redman2006
11-19-2015, 04:14 PM
It has been a while since I read it, but as I recall, he had one in the car door and one in the pack. I don't remember if he carried both.

Boston_Joe
11-19-2015, 05:34 PM
BTW, did you add the radio in that Sarge added? Then there was the carbine after he was there and.....

No I didn't (at least not knowingly) list anything that he didn't have with him from the start. The food that he picked up along the way, the kit upgrade from Sarge and the AK from the Kerr Lake Militia were all after the fact items.

redman2006
11-19-2015, 05:40 PM
That sleeping bag, while bomb proof, is darned heavy. Somewhere around 10 lbs!

Boston_Joe
11-19-2015, 05:40 PM
ESEE4 and/or 5. I never caught that both were mentioned. So much for my definitive list.

Perhaps the author would clarify if we asked nicely. AA what say you?

W.Lynn
11-19-2015, 09:12 PM
There may also be some version differences, many of us read the rough draft, then some editing was done and there were idiots involved who sent him the edited file to approve, then for some brainless reason, they wanted to move forward with the unedited file.

There was some stupidity there. Not the horsing around, short bus, paste-eating jokes we make either, honest, thick-skulled, fire somebody, stupid.

angeryamerican
11-23-2015, 10:36 AM
Yeah the 5 was on his pack. It was attached to my pack at the time but I always carried the four. I've spoke with ESEE before about the five and their initial concept was for air crew survival. The glass breaker on the butt is so robust because they envisioned breaking out canopies with it. It is a hell of a thick blade. But I like it. ESEE makes some really nice blades but there are just so damn many good blade companies out there today it's hard to decide what to carry!

redman2006
11-23-2015, 11:27 AM
Maybe I am just noticing it more, but there really are a lot of good knives compared to 20 years ago. I really like ESEE designs, but I wish they would come out with a few stainless noncoated. That little izula is a nice little utility knife. I have really enjoyed mine.

Cannonball
12-24-2015, 06:59 PM
Didnt he have a Gerber hatchet that went into one of the would-be rapists' head?

hsehntr98
01-15-2016, 12:11 AM
Yes he did and he pulled it out and kept going afterwards.

redman2006
01-15-2016, 06:09 AM
Does anyone have and use a Gerber hatchet? I looked at one because I needed a hatchet for yard work. It seemed so light, I skipped it. I thought as light as it was, I would use more energy swinging and forcing it than a heavier one and letting gravity work it. Just curious how they actually were to actually use.

PLA
02-19-2016, 09:51 PM
Yes I have 3 different gerber/fiskars axes and I love them

Easy to sharpen, hold a razor edge and the handle absorbs shock well

t0mmy91
12-03-2016, 05:47 PM
hello all, are the night vision goggles used in the pack generation 1 technology? looking at some myself and there is a huge price jump from gen 1 to gen 2. gen 3/4 are very expensive. i havent been able to find information on the Pulsar Edge GS20 night vision

WhiteBear620
12-03-2016, 07:11 PM
I don't remember off the top of my head, I believe he says it in the book. I'll have to check when I'm home if someone else doesn't get to it first. Video of the NVs you talked about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xHZ1h56Ozo
Review I found on Midwayusa:
I bought these for home defense and to be able to navigate at night without needing a flashlight. Overall, I would say they are a good value for the money, but there are some caveats.

The head mount is plastic; it is convenient and does the job, but would probably break if you wrestled zombies while wearing it. It has a swivel that locks in the up and down positions. Press a button to unlock, and the goggles flip up out of the way. Press again and they flip down into position to use.

Image quality is OK, but not awesome. Everthing has a grainy look that becomes grainier as light levels decrease. These goggles are usable without the IR illuminator in light levels down to what appears to be pitch dark, but not much darker than that. If there's any ambient light at all, you're good, but if you're in a cave or totally dark environment, you'll need to use the illuminator. They're better than other Gen 1 devices I've tried, but far from superb--definitely good enough to navigate around in the dark, and locate, identify,and engage hostile zombies in your vicinity, but forget about reading the date off a dime.

These goggles are binocular, so you do have depth perception, but things are about 6 inches farther away than they appear because of the distance between the front and back of the goggles. Each side has its own focus and diopter adjustment, but there is no adjustment for eye spacing. If your face is fairly average, no worries, but if you have an unusually wide or narrow face, look elsewhere. Field of view is OK, but does not include peripheral vision.

Using these while shooting takes some getting used to. If you're firing a rifle, your best bet is to use a laser. Trying to look through a scope is very difficult, and the recoil will probably damage the scope and/or goggles if you fire while doing so. Iron sights are useless, even with tritium inserts; they will be a fist-sized blur of no use for aiming.

For pistols, the same is true, the gun and sights are a big blur. A laser is easiest, but if you have a red-dot scope on the pistol, you will be able to see the dot reasonably well, but aligning the pistol so you can see the dot is harder because you can't see the pistol itself. You'll need to develop muscle memory if you want to shoot with any kind of speed.

Battery life is good, the manufacturer claims seem to be accurate. The brightness overload protection works well, too. When firing a pistol in the dark, the muzzle flash doesn't cause any lingering afterimage; it's there and then gone and the image goes back to normal almost instantly.

Overall, I recommend these goggles. But you will need to do some practice and training if you want to get the most use out of them.

KyDave59
12-03-2016, 09:03 PM
Regarding the laser for NV goggle use, I assume that an infrared laser would work. That way, your target won't be able to see you aiming at them (well, unless they're wearing NV goggles, too). Of course, without the NV goggles, the infrared laser would be useless.

I've actually thought about this. We have a rather huge coyote problem here, so I've thought about getting a NV monocle (I'm functionally blind in one eye, so binocular vision won't be of any help to me.), and an IR laser for the rifle. But, there's just not enough fun time for all of the fun projects. Besides, it's too darned cold to be wandering around in the dark right now. :-/ Also, I need to check into the legalities of this (There are some screwy laws out there, even regarding varmints.).

Dave

WhiteBear620
12-04-2016, 03:01 AM
If I had the money, I would absolutely run a NVGs on a bump helmet with an IR laser on my rifle. We got to do it for a very short time in Basic, there's nothing quite like it, it's not perfect but it's a game changer.

t0mmy91
12-04-2016, 01:03 PM
are these the ones?https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0039ZIZ7I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Gspotts
11-21-2017, 09:02 AM
In the 1980 I did some night shooting work and and figured out that if you have to shoot it is best to use muscle memory and lock your grip just like its day light it increases your chance of an effective hit on target. So draw aim and fire just like you do when you can see the target