Local News! Post the big doins' here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Local News! Post the big doins' here

So what's going on in your necks of the woods? We're from all over, and I thought it would be fun to talk about the "big news" in our localities. Lord knows, there's no other way we'd know since it seems media has been given free rein to make everything about politics and the snowflake insanity/stupidity epidemic.

Here's something around me that all these years - and even with my involvement with the Shenandoah Battlefields Foundation - that I've never actually gone to. It's coming up in a couple weeks. Where I lived, every October included the sound of cannon fire, coming up Rt 11 to where I lived. The actual event is about 15 miles south of there.

The Cedar Creek Battlefield Foundation is a non-profit organization dedicated to the acquisition, preservation, and protection of lands relating to the Battle of Cedar Creek.

The "flavor" of this event and the history around it permeates the area - despite Winchester's being a shopping mecca for 3 states these days. There are other smaller events all year round - some of them about the French & Indian wars instead. I want to spend some time in the Quartermaster's area... lots of good non-electric stuff to be found, I'm sure.

One of our student projects wound up being the genesis for the "Stories of the War in the Valley" on the ccbf website.

Local news, Hmmmmmm. I''l have to check with Andy and the boys down at Floyd's barber shop tomorrow and see whats going on.

There is a BBQ festival later this month down in Abbeville. I heard they're even going to have a Beer garden! Q and beer? I'm there.

Abbeville Hogs and Hens

Comment

That sounds like a good time Joe.

Comment

Although neither really interest me, this week is the Southern New Mexico State Fair down here. Next week kicks off the Albuquerque International (hot air) Balloon Fiesta. It's supposed to be one of the largest balloon gatherings in the world. It is a sight to see, especially the Mass Ascension.
        Defund the Media !!

Comment

Not a lot happens around here that gets a news link. If it's a slow news day, something might make Chattanooga, Knoxville, or Nashville news, but for the most part, the local news amounts to social networking.
          That is not to say nothing happens, but your more apt to hear about it through the farmers market, barber shop, or local feed bags.
          When the present determines the future, but the approximate present does not approximately determine the future: Edward Lorenz

Comment

That's a lot like where I am CW. But sometimes that's "big news" for where you are. Kinda a slice of life around the country, if people post the stuff going on around them. Our paper includes visits from family, in the tiny little "corners" that have a name, but don't show up on maps. Elections and events at local clubs, etc.

I consider it an antidote to the other kind of "news". The commercial/propaganda kind.

Comment

Most things have come and gone , tractor shows , sawdust days in Hemlock Mi , Bay City hosts the tall ships, ships sail in from around the great lakes /with tours . Also in Bay City the River of time days have civil war , revolutionary war , French Fur Traders and Voyageurs with trading booths , canon shoots , bands of the days .

Comment

Same here most festivals are early spring while the weather is still cool. It's Oct 1st and it was 98° today and hunting season starts next week so spring is really the only time to get good attendance.
                [I][B]Oderint dum metuant[/B][/I]

[I]"Stay with me; do not fear. For he who seeks my life seeks your life, but with me you shall be safe.”[/I] 1 Samuel 22:23

[I]“Everybody is a patriot...Until it's time to do patriot shit[/I]

Comment

Texas State Fair, home of ”You can't fry X" ”Oh yeah? Hold my beer and watch me."

Deep fried Twinkies and Oreos are sad. I hope the red velvet cupcakes are better.
                  quam minimum credula postero

Comment

Originally posted by W.Lynn View Post
                    Texas State Fair, home of ”You can't fry X" ”Oh yeah? Hold my beer and watch me."

Deep fried Twinkies and Oreos are sad. I hope the red velvet cupcakes are better.
                    Deep fried butter on a stick. Lightly coated with panko and wrapped with bacon of course.

Comment

There's a group of about 30 of us going here--> https://www.carolina.renfestinfo.com/ the end of October. 3rd year in a row for me!
                      According to my watch the time is now
                      Past is dead and gone
                      Don't try to shake it just nod your head
                      Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On - Jimmy Buffett

Comment

Originally posted by Boston_Joe View Post
                        Deep fried butter on a stick. Lightly coated with panko and wrapped with bacon of course.
                        For the clueless maybe, freeze the butter, egg wash so the panko sticks, freeze again if you aren't working in a walk-in refrigerator, wrap, fry, wow.

My thing is marshmallows. I had made plantain fritters, excellently, and the pot was at a perfect temperature (difficult enough, for campground cooking,) and I had batter left. My son asked if I could batter and fry marshmallows. I did, they were good. Very important to remember marshmallows start to swell when they heat up, so don't push them over to cook the batter on top right away, you want that flexible. Then turn, and take them out as soon as that side is done, the marshmallow should be very gooey. If you cook too long, it melts all the way, and soaks into the waffle or pancake batter you're using, still tasty, but hollow as a politician's promises.
                        quam minimum credula postero

Comment

There is a fair bit going on out in this area, actually. There is a massive hwy expansion that will change the face of our ghost town. (What remains of it-3 churches and a super old general store that closed in the 80's). GRRRRRRR. They plan to eminent domain houses that have been in families for almost a century. Right down the road. This expansion is loosely tied to the village's endeavor that has destroyed the ag in this area and is depleting the aquifer....and has pulled eminent domain and displaced a lot of 'poor folks'. The villages has completely taken over the little town we just moved from and torn down the old store fronts that were there since the 1880's or so. It used to look like a proper old ghost town, now it will look like another playground for rich transplants. It sickens me...and most all this was done under a sketchy 'one vote' that was passed in the mid 90's. Well a few of us have found out that this 'one county' vote is actually not legal in the strictest sense because it keeps minorities and locals who aren't rich from being heard....so a call was put in and hopefully this one vote nonsense will be overturned and the villages rape of our county will end.
                          Daughter of a Ghost Town.

Comment

Originally posted by sawyerrt10 View Post
                            There's a group of about 30 of us going here--> https://www.carolina.renfestinfo.com/ the end of October. 3rd year in a row for me!

Sawyer, you and the Mrs should make it interesting. ..

cbc0130.jpg
                            Defund the Media !!

Comment

The headline on our local paper today says, "Commissioner Court Declares Oct. 1 - 7 4-H Week". There won't be another headline until next Wednesday when the next paper comes out. Upcoming events include the Cullen Baker Fair (named for a notorious Robin Hood outlaw) will be November 4, which coincides with opening day of deer season. It gives all the "deer widows" a place to go and spend money while the guys are out getting drunk and/or chasing Bambi.

Here's a view of the Cullen Baker Fair parade from a couple of years ago.

Cullen Baker Parade 1.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X