Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MRE's / USA and foreign

In an Undisclosed Remote Location in the tropical South East
    Thanks
    Red we have much the same dilemma here with hurricanes, we are in place where we can usually ride out the storm but afterwards we are on our own for a good while. We consider evac but there is really no where to go that isn't overrun. Weighing the two options we usually opt for aggressive self rescue and stay put.
    I can see where allergies could seriously complicate that decision making matrix. At least you are taking the time to address the issue ahead of time, it will certainly help when the SHTF.
    Oderint dum metuant

"Stay with me; do not fear. For he who seeks my life seeks your life, but with me you shall be safe. 1 Samuel 22:23

Thanks
    Thanked 11,311 Times in 4,391 Posts
    I do understand, we use the shelf-stable stuff every time the river is over the highway (and it's almost that time of year again.) The allergies are the hard part, soy is in so many things. Want a stabilizer and not lose your "grain-free" label that makes the fanatical Paleo, or otherwise anti-gluten people happy? Use soy lecithin! Want to stretch the meat ingredients with something that has a nice texture, but is cheap? Little spongy chunks of TVP, essentially, bits of spongy soy protein.

It must be a lot like being allergic to corn, with corn this, corn that, and modified corn starch or some form of corn syrup in nearly everything.
    Ego bibere capulus ut alii vivere.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,945 Times in 1,574 Posts
    We were all prepped last year for a huge hurricane...that never hapened. I fully intended to stay in place. The baby has complicated that a little.

This last storm hit out of nowhere. It drove home the need for grab and go non cook type food in the pack.

Thanks
    You know those cookie and brownie mason jar gifts? There's currently a meal-in-a-jar theme that pops up sometimes.

The answer may simply be to practice with the long-term supplies and get the recipes figured out. Make up a few cases of jars, dump this jar of freeze-dried, pre-measured stuff in a pot, add two jars of water, soak 1 hour, then heat and simmer until edible? I'm not measuring things out into jars, but that's pretty much why I buy the small packages to experiment with. I work it into the regular menu, which also preps the family to eat it.

Thanks
    That makes sense, and we have some of those as 'intermediate" foods. It requires heat and extra water water, which is why I would like to go the other route with a fully prepped meal that could be eaten cold, but might be better warm. it is not an insurmountable issue, but it is frustrating that I can't just throw three or four in a pack.

Thanks
    I hear ya. At least with mine, it's easy enough to avoid. Since theirs is a "big 8" item, make sure they're watching out for the others. Seems like everyone I know with one, ends up collecting others.

Thanks
    Lynn, I am not familiar with the big 8, other than sports.

Thanks
    Think soy is bad (it is) try having problems with grain - all grains. The wife has real issues with any grain and trying to find any long term food for storage that doesn't have grain is an issue. Legumes too, so no rice, beans, wheat, corn, soy etc.

Thanks
    Sheezh, yeah. I am having a hard time making meals in my mind that do not involve grain and store. Beef jerky and dried fruit

Thanks
    The Big 8 are the foods that are implicated in 90% of human food allergies in the USA, and many other places.

Milk - though there are some hard to find, expensive cows that don't carry (or pass in the milk,) a particular protein. Some milk-allergic folks can consume it, but it usually involves being able to find, afford, and keep a cow.

Eggs - not sure about any possibilities or hope here. Maybe duck or goose eggs?

Fish (e.g., bass, flounder, cod) - fins and gills. River & ocean pollution, anyone?

Crustacean shellfish (e.g., crab, lobster, shrimp) - for many, this includes clams, oysters, and mussels. More contaminated water, perhaps?

Tree nuts (e.g., almonds, walnuts, pecans) - trees filter LOTS of air.

Peanuts - more closely related to beans than to actual nuts, so watch that direction for additional other problems. Also, peanut pods do their growing in the topsoil. Any contaminants that settle out of the air, or treated water, or chemical fertilizers or weed sprays that get sprayed in the area will settle in the topsoil.

Wheat - used to grow to 4.5-5' tall, but indiscriminate breeding *before* there was much in the way of scientific or nutritional input, or much in the way of tracking who did what brought it down to about 2', and no real clue what other changes occurred. Some people find they can use ancient varieties like einkorn.

Soybeans - possibly the most genetically modified food stuff on the planet?

Not that allergies haven't always been a thing, but they've become MORE of a thing. Much like autism spectrum issues, and diabetes.