Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Home Grown Convertible Log Splitter

Thanks
    Thanked 1,720 Times in 551 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redman2006 View Post
    Hey, a guy can dream.

I just switched to a hydraulic splitter from hand. If I only need a few, or they are good, straight grained oak, I still like using the maul. It is a good way to work out frustrations.
    I prefer a 6 pack for that now day's. )

RD
    Sometimes I wrestle with my demons, other times we just snuggle.

Thanks
    Thanked 14,035 Times in 4,045 Posts
    Ya RD, but you aren't raising a teenage daughter like Redman is. Sometimes you just have to hit something with a hammer.
    Someday I'm going to pull my life together. But that day is not today. Today I'm driving a stolen police car.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kickstand For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,107 Times in 1,611 Posts
    Lol. I kinda got stuck on tin cup. I like a beer, but prefer whiskey. The beer is for after the work in the wood pile.

Thanks
    I actually enjoy the workout and blanking my mind, I just don't have time. The logs I have gotten recently are big enough that I have no desire to tackle them with a maul until they are quartered. We run through 2 to 5 cords depending on the winter and how lazy I get with us g the hvac.
    What for wood are you burning?

Last winter was pretty cold here in Central PA with several weeks below 0F. I burned about 6 1/2 cord of mixed oak & maple. That provides all the heat and hot water for our house.

Thanks
    We burn whatever I can scrounge other than poplar and pine. Mostly it is oak. Our set up is not too efficient. I have a large insert for the fireplace and have to use fans to blow it around. If we had a free standing stove in a more central location, I would be far better off.

Also, having not planned well, and be g too cheap to buy wood, I had to burn some that had not seasoned as well as it should have. It does not give the heat the others will. I still had a clean chimney though, so no issues with creosote

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redman2006 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    We burn whatever I can scrounge other than poplar and pine. Mostly it is oak. Our set up is not too efficient. I have a large insert for the fireplace and have to use fans to blow it around. If we had a free standing stove in a more central location, I would be far better off.

Also, having not planned well, and be g too cheap to buy wood, I had to burn some that had not seasoned as well as it should have. It does not give the heat the others will. I still had a clean chimney though, so no issues with creosote
    I suppose a new, well insulated house helps too.

We have an indoor wood boiler that heats 1000 gallons of water. Then the water is used for radiant floor heat. Nice and even. We love it. And I only have to load and burn the boiler every 2-3 days.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zef_66 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Our home was built in 78. Insulation in the attic, but really none anywhere else on a cinder block home covered by board and batten siding. The doors and windows are original, and we are working to upgrade the weather tightness of the house.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to redman2006 For This Useful Post: