Newcomer from MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newcomer from MS

Hi, I’m from Mississippi, working on listening to book 5, Resurrecting Home. I love these books! They are filled with lots of good info. I’m a newbie to the preparedness scene. I have a lot of interests, which is my problem. I want to learn so much, but have so little time. Story of our lives, am I right? 😎 Any suggestions on what to focus on? Thanks!

Hi and welcome from Southern New Mexico. Glad you're enjoying the series. We can't possibly help decide what you should focus on...at least not unless you tell us what interests you.
    Hunting? Target shooting? Reloading? Bullet casting? Powder coating? Ham radio? Gardening? Livestock? Drone flying? Archery? What does that word "focus" mean? Squirrel !
    Defund the Media !!

Comment

Originally posted by kickstand View Post
      Hi and welcome from Southern New Mexico. Glad you're enjoying the series. We can't possibly help decide what you should focus on...at least not unless you tell us what interests you.
      Hunting? Target shooting? Reloading? Bullet casting? Powder coating? Ham radio? Gardening? Livestock? Drone flying? Archery? What does that word "focus" mean? Squirrel !
      Welcome from Texas! No, Kickstand isn't calling you a squirrel. It's just his weird sense of humor depicting "focus" (Bofus?).

Comment

Heya, are you good for a month if everything went down in a storm, but you (and anyone with you,) were essentially ok? Remember, canned soup, pork and beans, or ravioli, can be survived cold, they're just slightly more palatable warm. Also think of water. Lots of places have accessable water, but it isn't always clean or healthy.
        quam minimum credula postero

Comment

The Chinese stayed after the gold rushes and got rich by moving one rock at a time. Don't look at it as a daunting task. Just take it one rock at a time.

Comment

Welcome aboard from the Left Coast!

My interests are quite broad as well. I feel the pain of finding what to focus on

Comment

Thanks for the welcome. As far as interests, they are varied and broad. My wife and I, I think would be ok for about a month. I know food will be an important step. Water, we are in a well. I have been thinking about this for a while now. Been thinking about getting a pitcher pump or, like our Amish friends, get a small two-cycle motor for a pump. Would have to have a place to fill up and just use the pump once a day to fill. Which leads to water tank for storage and gas storage. Soon any things to think about. Whew! One step, err, one stone at a time.

Comment

A cistern or tank that is slightly uphill from the house, would give you at least downhill flow for the toilet tanks, and a little pressure at the taps. Fancy pressured tanks are out there for more money.

Comment

Uphill from our house is a no-go. We sit on the highest spot on our place. I do remember from Morgan’s house having solar power for it, but I’m not totally convinced on its efficacy.

Comment

Without trying to get too personal, is your well a deep or shallow well? Solar seems to work ok for a shallow well, but if your well is much deeper than 20 feet, you may have some extra engineering to do.
                    Defund the Media !!

Comment

I think with solar, you also have to watch out for people trying to get a fast-fingers discount on solar equipment. Rooftop panels for household use are harder to get to.

Comment

I am amazed that the ones on street signs and such don't disappear regularly

Comment

They have deep well hand pumps, but they are pricey. Trash pumps or anything based on suction are a no go after about 25 feet. You can lower a suction pump closer to the water and they will lift higher than they can suction, but it is not ideal.

Consider a generator and run the well once every two or thee days. Don't forget things like ibc totes at the gutter downspouts.

A conversion on most generators to propane is a pretty easy thing to do, but you do lose some output. But you gain a lot in long term fuel storage
                          Last edited by redman2006; 05-17-2018, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by redman2006 View Post
                            I am amazed that the ones on street signs and such don't disappear regularly
                            Let something happen, and they will!

Comment

I already have several picked out.....
                              [I][B]Oderint dum metuant[/B][/I]

[I]"Stay with me; do not fear. For he who seeks my life seeks your life, but with me you shall be safe.”[/I] 1 Samuel 22:23

[I]“Everybody is a patriot...Until it's time to do patriot shit[/I]

Comment

Working...
                              X