Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Farm Babies

Thanks

Farm Babies

How about a thread for posting pics of the new farm family members? I'll just drop mine right here.

This is Mama Dilly with her triplets that were born last night. Two girls and a boy, so they'll be Archie, Betty and Veronica. Betty is in the front, Archie to the right, and Veronica in the corner. More pics when they get out and more sociable.

Dilly and Kids.jpg

2. The Following User Says Thank You to olfart For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,941 Times in 1,571 Posts
    Tasty and cute, what better farm animal is there?

Our nubian is getting bred, so hopefully we will be replenishing our milk and meat supply soon. We did away with all the rabbits. Our freezer is over full, so we will repopulate when it gets eaten down a little.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to redman2006 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    We're trying to breed for year-round milk supply, but unfortunately the goats have some say in that. Nubians are seasonal breeders (at least ours are), so it's kinda hard to space them out. We have one that's due in June, and I hope the one I'm milking now will be ready to breed by then. June will be time to start milking the one that just delivered, so at least we should be good for all summer and into autumn.

We had rabbits about 40 years ago and got tired of eating rabbits. We sold a bunch to Pel-Freeze, but they kept demanding higher weights in shorter times, and we couldn't afford that much feed.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to olfart For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Do you have plans for a milk stand that you like? I need to build one asap. Have one in milk and one bred for October delivery.

Thanks
    Do you have plans for a milk stand that you like? I need to build one asap. Have one in milk and one bred for October delivery.

Thanks
    No plans, but maybe pics will help. You'll need it to fit your goats AND you. Basically you want something to stand them a foot or more off the ground so you don't ruin your back milking. A foot wide is plenty, although mine is wider because that was the scrap of plywood I had handy at the time. I added the rail to give them something to lean on and to keep them where I can reach them. The ankle bracelets are to keep them from kicking and/or sticking a foot in the bucket. Once they're trained to the milking routine, you may be able to quit using the restraints. Floor length should be about the distance from the front of the goat's shoulder to the tail plus about 6". Height of the feed tray should be comfortable for your goat to eat while you're milking.

Milk Stand.jpg

Milk Stand 1.jpg

Milk Stand 2.jpg

I also use the milk stand for trimming their feet (at which point the side rail is in the way, so maybe it should be removable), giving shots, oral meds, etc.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to olfart For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Oldfart,
    Can you share some recipes for cheese. I belive you said you made it.

We are over run with milk, and looking for ways to use it and store it.

Thanks

Thanks
    Oldfart,
    Can you share some recipes for cheese. I belive you said you made it.

We are over run with milk, and looking for ways to use it and store it.

Thanks

Thanks
    I built my milking stand, and as everything I build, it weighs 3x what it should and could support 10x what it needs to. I made it too wide, but otherwise, it works well. For scrap lumber and a few bucks in hardware, I am eased. Beats a $200 metal one commercially available.

Thanks
    Mine was too wide, too, which was why I added the rail. That pushes the goat back to my side of the stand where I can reach her without straining so much. Now I may have to cut a round hole in the floor to put the milk bucket in. The doe I'm milking now is at least a DDDD, and I have to hold her bag out of the bucket while trying to milk. Getting nearly 2 quarts a day from only one side. Leaving the other side for the kids, and they're barely putting a dent in it.