No announcement yet.

Farm Babies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As a follow-up, I decided to forgo the bucket-size hole and go with a 1" hole in the floor. The underside of the stand was amazingly clean, so no issues with stuff falling into the bucket. I do, however, need to drill another 1" hole about 4" farther back than the first one. She leans back in the stanchion, making for a long reach to hit the funnel.

Comment

How are you controlling flies? Those are my nemesis. I have used the fly predators, traps, sprays, etc. The best thing I have found is Bayer quick bait it is granular and can be sprinkled out or mixed as a paste and pained on surfaces or used in a bait station.

My one nanny is only producing 1/2 gallon or slightly more per day, but even so, we have milk and cheese overflowing the fridge. How successful have you been with freezing it?

Comment

I use the "Big Bag" fly traps, but they're not tremendously effective. The only milk I've frozen is what my wife later uses to make goat milk soap, other than freezing some colostrum to save for emergencies.

Comment

My mom used to freeze retail cow's milk with no issues, and she'd freeze the skim that Dad uses.

When I was buying raw, sometimes the dairy would give me some at reduced price because it was in the chiller too long and froze, small flecks of the butterfat would be visible as it separated a little. Shake the jug, good to go. They don't sell raw any more, but the low-temp pasteurized is available if I want it.
          quam minimum credula postero

Comment

Working...
          X