Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chicken trouble oh my

Thanks
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 1,203 Posts

Chicken trouble oh my

The Legislature of the Granite State is considering a bill that would make trespassing fowl a violation, not for the chicken, but for its owners. (iStock)

Why did the chicken cross the road? And did it have permission?

The New Hampshire Legislature is considering a bill that would make trespassing fowl a violation, not for the chicken, but for its owners. Under the proposal, anyone who knowingly, recklessly or negligently allows their domestic fowl to enter someone else's property without permission can be convicted of a violation if the birds damage crops or property.

The law already makes such trespassing illegal when it comes to sheep, goats, cows, horses or pigs, and the bill's sponsor says fowl shouldn't be exempt.

Can they pay in eggs ??????

In an Undisclosed Remote Location in the tropical South East
    Thanks
    Heck I had two of my neighbors chickens start roosting in my coop with my birds. He said "You might as well keep them. I'll never get them to stay home now."

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 0utlaw For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,290 Times in 493 Posts
    I'm going to guess that the bill's sponsor was a recent transplant from the People's Republic of Massakstan.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,049 Times in 4,260 Posts
    The biggest difference between having your steer get into my garden, and having your chicken get into my garden, is in the amount of work in making the incident to have not happened. A small bag of feathers and bones isn't much to get rid of, while a chicken becomes dinner. And I probably have plenty of grocery store receipts showing that I buy all the chicken I could want.

It's just not that easy with bigger animals.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,281 Times in 3,785 Posts
    In a way though, I can see the reasoning behind the law (bill). You know darn good and well that at some point in time, a southern redneck moved up north, (hey, it could happen) and is currently living in a New Hampshire suburb. While there, he started raising a large flock of cluckers, which he allows to roam the neighborhood at will. Should a neighbor, or a neighbor's dog, happen to dispatch the occasional stray, ole BillyJoeBob will probably sue for the loss of his property. Since there's no law saying that his chickens can't go where ever they want, he might win.
    I have an Epi-pen now. A friend gave it to me. He REALLY wanted me to have it. It was his dying wish.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kickstand For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I've always controlled my dogs very well. The dog isn't going to be the one eating a chicken.

In an Undisclosed Remote Location in the tropical South East
    Thanks
    My Guinea fowl have trained all my dogs that you don't mess with the yardbirds, the dogs won't even make eye contact with the birds.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 0utlaw For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Guinea fowl are good eating too! Do their breeding numbers keep up with your use?

I've heard they're also great alarms, as they adapt well, and spread into local woods and cover.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,290 Times in 493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 0utlaw View Post
    My Guinea fowl have trained all my dogs that you don't mess with the yardbirds, the dogs won't even make eye contact with the birds.
    I gotta get me some of those. My dogs are all about chasing my fowl when they get loose.

Thanks
    Plan on losing some sleep. They're such good alarms they'll sound off LOUDLY at anything that moves, day or night. That's why we got rid of ours years ago.