Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LED flashlights

Thanks

LED flashlights

Looking for a good light to use and carry. I currently have several TerraLux lights (know a guy who used to work for them) and have been really happy with their size and performance, but have found the controls to be lacking for how I normally use a flashlight. I'm sure there's more proper nomenclature for this, but it's basically underhanded vs overhanded. Underhanded would be hand at your side, with the light facing forward, thumb wrapped around the collar of the light. Over handed would be elbow bent with the hand in front of you, thumb on the end of the flashlight. All the flashlights I have operate in the overhanded position, but there's no side button to control it underhanded.

Most of the time when I am using a flashlight I am walking my dogs, and I keep the leash in the same hand as the light. With my current lights I can't control the light without changing my grip so I'd like something with a side control. There's a ton of flashlights on Amazon and the like, but would like some recommendations from you all as to what you've used with a side switch. The Fenix PD35 Tactical Edition looks good, but is about twice what I paid for my TerraLux. It does look like an all around better light though, but it doesn't use AA's which I like.

Thanks
    Thanked 14,116 Times in 4,081 Posts
    I too am always on the hunt for the perfect flashlight. I recently decided that I'm tired of spending $20-30 for what amounts to a $5 flashlight. I stopped by https://www.reddit.com/r/flashlight to help with my preferences and requirements. I am probably getting ready to order a Nextorch PA5, as I really like the ability to zoom, I use that feature all the time.
    Other than the side switch, do you have any other requirements? I know that you would prefer the ability to use AA batteries. How high on your list of wants/needs is that? Do you want your new light to only use AAs, or do you want it to primarily usean 18650, but could also use AA? What kind of brightness are you looking for? If using a rechargeable battery like the 18650, do you want to take the battery out to charge, or do you want "on-board" charging (usually via USB)?

Edit: also, do you want more of a flood light, a "thrower" that is more focused at a distance, or a zoomable (zoomie)?
    Someday I'm going to pull my life together. But that day is not today. Today I'm driving a stolen police car.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kickstand For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The AA battery thing is to maintain consistency across the other items that I have that use AA's in my bag. The lights I have now are 300 lumens, and I want at least that. Rechargeable could work, method of charging not important really.

The light isn't just for me to see, but also to be seen. Some of the areas I walk the dogs in are along major roads without street lights, so I like to make myself visible. Flood on low power would probably work fine there. There's also an almost rural area just north of me that's quite dark with a walking/biking trail. I like the light there just for being able to see the trail, but also to be able to light up something within 100ft or so as there's always coyotes out there and even rumors of bears and mountain lions. Which is another reason I like the leash and the light in the same hand, keeps my right hand free to access my weapon if need be.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BigDaveZJ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Have you considered a head torch? I bought one of these over a year ago for using as a cheap head torch
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8000-LM-3....c100506.m3226

Irony is that it out performs my good (expensive) head torches, only issue is that for close up work it can be too bright and 'white out' what's in front of you. I bought a few sets of extra batteries and recently bought more torches
    No idea how far ahead they light up but I would say 200-300 metres plus. They light up far enough ahead to see, and avoid, obstacles on the trail if riding a bike at a reasonable speed.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,868 Times in 1,281 Posts
    Dam survivedall with that thing you could be a hood ornament on a 18 wheeler lol

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to airdrop For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Yeah But it is bright. Bright enough to light up the neighbors house like this if you want

10. The Following User Says Thank You to survivedall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I have thought about headlamps, and have a few already, but they don't offer the ease of turning them on and off as easily as a side switch flashlight. I don't want the light on all the time, and want to be able to turn it on and off with the same hand I hold the dogs leash in.

I know I'm overthinking this for just walking a dog, but if we had to walk somewhere in a SHTF situation my dogs would be on their leashes and I'd want a free hand available to me for either my pistol or AR-15. I know a headlamp provides advantages there too, but the quickness of being able to turn the light on and off is important, being able to quickly see, and quickly not be seen and all.

Thanks
    You might look into the Thorfire. It can operate from a single AA battery, or a 14500 rechargeable (not included). Let me be perfectly clear, I have no personal experience with this brand, but I have heard good things about them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0787RW9YG
    Someday I'm going to pull my life together. But that day is not today. Today I'm driving a stolen police car.

Thanks
    I was wondering if you ever decided on a new light? I just ordered a Thrunite Neutron 2c v3, it's supposed to be here Friday .

https://www.amazon.com/ThruNite-Micr.../dp/B06XXFC1VN

It takes a 18650 battery, as well as several other options, but AA are not on the list, as they just don't provide enough power. After seeing what a 18650 light can do Iit would take aLOT of convincing to get me back to AA/AAA lights.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to kickstand For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,491 Times in 566 Posts
    Please tell us your thoughts once you have this in hand. I like that it uses USB recharging. I'd be interested in knowing what the true recharging time is.