noOb from CO checking in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• noOb from CO checking in

Hey everyone, looking forward to hanging out around here. I started Going Home a little over 2 weeks ago and wrapped up Conflicted Home a few days ago. Needless to say, I REALLY enjoyed the series. I'm trying to get my wife to start reading them now. I had read the One Second After/John Matherson books and got her to read those as well and she enjoyed them, thinking she'll enjoy these even more.

We live in the southern part of the Denver metro area and are working on getting more prepared. We're both big into working on cars and have several different projects going on at any given time. We're big into brewing as well. We've got a decent start on being more prepared, but definitely need to do more and I'm looking forward to discussing the book series and getting some ideas from all of you!

Thanks!

Edit to add: I'm also an old school forum junkie and much prefer this format over FB and other social media. Joined my first forum in 2000 and have owned/ran my own since 2004.
    Last edited by BigDaveZJ; 01-30-2018, 05:30 PM.

Welcome from somewhere in South Alabama! I'm glad you logged on and feel free to poke around the forum and hop on the chat room and chat with us sometime. We love sharing our knowledge and experiences.

Comment

Welcome from NE Texas!

Comment

Welcome aboard, 2018 is a busy year so far for noobs around here
        [I][B]Oderint dum metuant[/B][/I]

[I]"Stay with me; do not fear. For he who seeks my life seeks your life, but with me you shall be safe.”[/I] 1 Samuel 22:23

[I]“Everybody is a patriot...Until it's time to do patriot shit[/I]

Comment

Hey there! I have dabbled in homebrewing as well....all my equipment is in storage however due to lack of space.

Comment

Welcome from SE WV. I have thought about learning to do homebrew also. Was actually thinking of growing my own hops. Do you have any suggestions for the brand or flavor to work with? As Amy002 said, come join us in the chat room and share your knowledge and get aquatinted with more of us.

Comment

I haven't tried growing my own hops, as in their raw form they can be extremely poisonous to dogs and we have 2 labs. http://beersmith.com/blog/2015/09/24...l-combination/ One of whom is always eating stuff he shouldn't be and we don't really have a place where we could grow them where the dogs couldn't get to them. I know around here a lot of the homebrew shops will sell hop rhizomes to help get you started in growing them.

There's a lot of good info on the net about homebrewing, and I used to shop at Northern Brewer a lot, but they're in cahoots with ABInBev (Anheuser Busch) now and some of ABInBev's business practices are looked down upon in the Craft Beer world so I haven't bought anything from them recently. Their website and YouTube channel have a LOT of good info still though. Plenty of other good websites out there to get your gear from, or find a good local shop.

I figure it's a great prepper skill to have too. You'd be one popular guy in the apocalypse if you can make some barley pops!

Comment

Hi Dave, and welcome from Southern New Mexico. I used to have to travel to Loveland on a regular basis. ..wow, am I glad that I don't have to do that anymore. I would consider getting into homebrewing, but being allergic to barely kinda puts the damper on my beer drinking.
                Look around, ask questions, and join in.
                Defund the Media !!

Comment

Hello, I use existing alcohol and either use it to clean something, or make sweet tasting cordials to sip. Had one end up tasting like cough syrup once, but mostly they're good.
                  quam minimum credula postero

Comment

Originally posted by hsehntr98 View Post
                    Welcome from SE WV. I have thought about learning to do homebrew also. Was actually thinking of growing my own hops. Do you have any suggestions for the brand or flavor to work with? As Amy002 said, come join us in the chat room and share your knowledge and get aquatinted with more of us.
                    I had answered this post already, but I think the post is awaiting moderator/admin approval due to my newness and the fact there was a link in the post to another site discussing how harmful hops can be to dogs in their plant/raw form, which is why I don't grow my own hops. A lot of the homebrew shops near me will sell hop rhizomes though to get people started in growing hops. There's a lot of info out there, and a bunch of websites to buy homebrew equipment from. I would ask that you avoid purchasing from Northern Brewer and Midwest Brewing Supplies though as they are now under the ABInBev umbrella. ABInBev has a pretty bad rep in the craft beer world for their business practices in gobbling up smaller breweries and making it hard for competing breweries to operate. Dilly dilly!

Comment

Originally posted by hsehntr98 View Post
                      There is a forum called Homebrew Talk that I am a member of. Huge amount of info over there! There are so many different directions to go for hops etc. Used to grow my own when I was living in Oregon's Willamette Valley one of the nation's premier hop growing areas. I was set up to do my own kegging as I hated dealing with bottling. Probably going to dig my gear out and sell it off...hardly drink alcohol anymore.

Comment

Working...
                      X