Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Guy From Oregon

Hello everyone!

Checking in from the Oregon Coast. It took a few weeks to get approved to post so I have had a chance to lurk a bit and get a feel for the community (thanks for your assistance Kickstand!)

I'll kick off with a bit of a bio.

I am in my mid 50's, born and raised in Oregon, lived around various parts of Oregon and Washington. Currently building a small retail business selling at local open markets and online specializing in custom graphics, gifts and small batch pickled goods.

My wife is a long time ER Nurse (BSN) and had also worked in ICU/CCU.

I have worked various jobs over my life, was a long time EMT on a mid-sized ambulance company in Southern Oregon as well as having worked in Law Enforcement, Locksmithing, mechanic (auto and light aircraft). My last job was as an R&D tech and then Field Engineer on digital printing presses for a large tech company.

Hobbies are, Ham Radio (Amatuer Extra class), metal working, wood working, shooting, home gunsmithing, gardening, reading, prepping and anything else that catches my interest. I have been involved in the survivalist scene in varying degrees since I was just out of High School in the early 80's.

I am about to start book 6 of the series and have quite enjoyed them, I would rate AA's books to be some of the best in the genre.

I hope I can learn from and add to the community here!

Welcome aboard! You sound like me, have done a little of everything over the years.
    [I][B]Oderint dum metuant[/B][/I]

[I]"Stay with me; do not fear. For he who seeks my life seeks your life, but with me you shall be safe.”[/I] 1 Samuel 22:23

[I]“Everybody is a patriot...Until it's time to do patriot shit[/I]

Comment

Glad ya made it into the inner sanctum Mike. Welcome from south central New Mexico, where I've spent the majority of my life. It sounds like we share some hobbies, other than gardening. Don't get me wrong, I would love to be good at it, but I can kill a healthy plant within two weeks by try to take care of it. Unfortunately, that same talent extends to livestock as well. I'm pretty good at keeping a few pets alive, but that's mostly their doing, not mine.
      Defund the Media !!

Comment

Welcome from NE Texas! Sounds like maybe we can learn a few things from you, too. By metalworking, do you mean tin bending, welding, blacksmithing, or all of the above?

Comment

welcome from TX, don't tell AA that his books are best in genre, it'll just make his head bigger

Comment

Originally posted by olfart View Post
            Welcome from NE Texas! Sounds like maybe we can learn a few things from you, too. By metalworking, do you mean tin bending, welding, blacksmithing, or all of the above?
            Ahhh metalworking......mostly just simple welding and fab projects now. Had a pretty good home machine shop setup a few years (and moves) back, mostly for gunsmithing. The supply of cheap parts kits have dried up so haven't been doing a lot of that lately.....mill, lathe, sheet metal tools have all been sold off...did build some cool toys in the past...a semi 1919, RPK (and AKs), G3 and a boatload of FALs. Used to do military vehicle restoration too.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

Comment

Great! I'm into blacksmithing, among other things. Always nice to have another brain to pick when the need arises.

Comment

Originally posted by kickstand View Post
                Glad ya made it into the inner sanctum Mike. Welcome from south central New Mexico, where I've spent the majority of my life. It sounds like we share some hobbies, other than gardening. Don't get me wrong, I would love to be good at it, but I can kill a healthy plant within two weeks by try to take care of it. Unfortunately, that same talent extends to livestock as well. I'm pretty good at keeping a few pets alive, but that's mostly their doing, not mine.
                I forgot to ask how the bosses dog ever got or is that a bad subject to ask.

- - - Updated - - -

Welcome from Okiehoma where the damn dirt and sand always blows. Strap in, it is a fun ride.
                If you heard the shot you weren't the target!

Comment

Originally posted by Rockntoy View Post
                  I forgot to ask how the bosses dog ever got or is that a bad subject to
                  Nah, it's not a bad subject. Daisy is now completely blind, but handles it pretty darn well.
                  Defund the Media !!

Comment

Originally posted by olfart View Post
                    Great! I'm into blacksmithing, among other things. Always nice to have another brain to pick when the need arises.
                    I have always had an interest in blacksmithing but haven't gotten around to setting up for it.....one of those "someday" things lol

Comment

Originally posted by kickstand View Post
                      Thanks Kickstand! My wife is really the one with the green thumb, I handle the weeding, tilling and watering....basically she is the talent and I am the one that does the heavy lifting. My mom had a nursery for years and collects rare plants so I have helped her a lot with that over the years.

Comment

Working...
                      X